Funny Story. My Tort Does Not Hiss ...

OliveW

Location (City and/or State)
Branford, FL
For reasons I won't go into, our nightbox is not yet complete. We are having a serious cold spell here in Northern Florida. I mean VERY cold, even during the day today it only went up o 70, overnight was 40. These are unheard of temperatures this time of year, so caught us off guard.

Anyway, I brought our Sully inside to spend the night in a heated bathroom, in a soaker tub (big enough for two adults, so plenty of space) with an Amazon box for his hide. We have done this before, so he is familiar with the routine.

So, this morning, it was just too cold for him to be back outside yet and my husband went in to shower - separate shower from tub Tortimer is in. I told hubby to leave tort in there while he showered, as the humidity was good for him. So, hubby comes out and tells me that Tortimer was steady hissing the entire time he was in the shower. Alarmed, I went running to bathroom to check on him. I have never heard him hiss - ever. He makes a cute, loud squeak after he drinks a lot, but no hissing.

My boy, Tortimer, was still asleep inside his box/hide and gave me the stink eye for pulling him out to check on him. He doesn't rise and shine until between 10:00 am and 11:00, he's not a morning tort. As I picked him up, I heard the "hissing" and it wasn't coming from poor half-asleep Tortimer.

Hubby had failed to notice that I added a new sensor/touchless trashcan to that bathroom the previous day. He had taken off some clothing and threw it to where it was activating the sensor over and over again. Every time the lid opened and shut, it was making a hissing noise from the little motor. Crisis averted.

I AM clueless how men can not notice something like a new SILVER trashcan with an LED readout on top. I know he came close to it, as his clothes were thrown over it. 😂

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's too funny.
I hear ya though. My hubby wouldn't have noticed either. Frankly most men are just clueless to what's going on around them.