Further fungus gnats!

Jackf22

Location (City and/or State)
Leicestershire
Hi all,

Ive recently posted about the issue I’m having with fungus gnats, I’m planning on removing all the soil at the weekend and replacing with coco coir that’s I’ve bought 2 large bags off, is there any advice from preventing them from coming back? And how to insure they don’t transfer from the old top soil to the new coir? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Bake the coir or they will come right back.
Bake 200-250 for about 3 hours. This will keep them from coming back longer. About a year give or take.
Spot clean daily.
They usually will come back eventually but the baking stops them for a lot longer time.
You can boil it if you'd rather not bake.

Jackf22

Leicestershire
Bake 200-250 for about 3 hours. This will keep them from coming back longer. About a year give or take.
Spot clean daily.
They usually will come back eventually but the baking stops them for a lot longer time.
How would you recommend boiling it? It’s not come dried in blocks it’s wet in bags

Jackf22

Leicestershire
Spot clean daily.
How do you boil it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I empty it into a big pot about half full and fill the rest up with water and boil. Then let cool and use a fine mesh strainer to take it out. Then I let it sit for a couple days, stirring it up, just to get some of the moisture out if it, but not totally dry.
I only did it once cuz baking is easier.