FYI eBay cactus pads-free shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just got some cactus pads, spineless from eBay seller "shukplace" buy two pads get one free, plus free shipping. I got a 11x9x6 medium flat rate box chucked full of cactus pads. Now the only thing I didn't like about them is that they were not whole pads, but pieces of very large pads. I am sure the free shipping is the reason for cutting them down to fit into the box. Way more than I could use. However I am trying to freeze some, plant some, in both dirty and just water to get started and also chopped and grated some. The proceeds are suppose to go to a dog rescue. I think this is a great buy for someone with lots of torts or large torts. Check it out. My final cost was $15.80. I think it was a good buy, as long as I can get them to last long enough, or grow.:D

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
I also bought my spineless prickly pear from an ebay seller, but not the same as yours. They were for 3 pads. I potted 2 of the 3 a week later since their planting guide said to let the cut site cure before potting. Not sure if they are growing roots yet or not since there is no new growth but it hasn't gone to mush either. I just water it once a week for now.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't know that. I will take one and wait to plant it. Out of all that I have at least one had better take hold.:D

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
The care instructions I got with mine says:
When you receive your cuttings, allow it to air dry 10-45 days before planting. Thick cuts and cool weather require a longer drying time. To dry the wounds, leave the cutting in a shady and warm exposure. Then plant it in Dry cactus potting soil, do not water for 10-45 days and put in a warm shady place. After the cutting develops a root system it is safe to start a light regular watering cycle. Always let the soil dry out completely between applications of water. It is much more likely that cutting will be killed by over watering than under-watering.

Of course I don't follow it to a T. I waited a week since we had warm weather here and the cutting site looked cured. I started watering a week later. I do let it dry out between and it is kept on a shaded patio. It has been almost 3 weeks since I have planted the pad. I probably should move it to a sunnier location. And how do you know it has a root system? Pull it out of the soil? :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Zergy said:
The care instructions I got with mine says:
When you receive your cuttings, allow it to air dry 10-45 days before planting. Thick cuts and cool weather require a longer drying time. To dry the wounds, leave the cutting in a shady and warm exposure. Then plant it in Dry cactus potting soil, do not water for 10-45 days and put in a warm shady place. After the cutting develops a root system it is safe to start a light regular watering cycle. Always let the soil dry out completely between applications of water. It is much more likely that cutting will be killed by over watering than under-watering.

Of course I don't follow it to a T. I waited a week since we had warm weather here and the cutting site looked cured. I started watering a week later. I do let it dry out between and it is kept on a shaded patio. It has been almost 3 weeks since I have planted the pad. I probably should move it to a sunnier location. And how do you know it has a root system? Pull it out of the soil? :)

I guess if it doesn't die or starts to grow, you will know if you had success, I
guess:D

I did mine all wrong. Stuck two in the dirt outside, did not water, stuck two in a pot with hens and chicks growing, added water, stuck two in a bowl of water. Now I will set one or two out two cure, and will follow your instructions, thanks for posting them, I was just winging it LOL :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you don't want to wait for the cuts to cure they will root if you lay them on their side on the soil, and do nothing else but wait for new growth, then you can be sure it rooted, 9 out of 10 whole pads will curl up at both ends with a small part resting on the soil, sometimes the cut pieces will lay flat and root, it all depends on what part of the pad you are rooting, Good Luck with roots, Len

Status
Not open for further replies.