G.Hamiltonii and Diamondback Terrapin compatibility

Muffindog

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi all :)

I am interested in breeding G.Hamiltonii turtle. I have a pool with a rough size of 3m (L) x 1m (W) x 1.1m (H), 3/4 of it is filled with water, and the rest is the land part (sand).

I want to buy a mature pair of G.Hamiltonii from a friend of mine with a very very reasonable price, but here comes the problem... He also has a pair of Diamondback Terrapins (captive bred, acclimated to 100% fresh water) and he said if I want to buy his G.Hamiltonii, I have to also buy his Diamondback Terrapins and he does not allow me to re-sell the turtles, the reason is because he does not want to keep turtles anymore, and the pond will be used to breed koi fishes.

I agreed with the conditions, but now I am confused of where to put the Diamondback Terrapins, I just want to put them together in my pool but I'm afraid that they are not compatible to each others, and I have a very limited space in my house to build another turtle enclosure...

I have read somewhere that Diamondback Terrapins can be aggressive to its own kind but not to other turtle species, but I'm out of luck finding G.Hamiltonii compatibility with other turtle species... I need some information from experts / experienced people about this.

Thanks a lot :)

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It is probably not a good idea to put the two groups together - disease transmission being the major issue.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmmm... makes sense, how about the aggression towards each others?

That is always a possibility too. You'll need separate enclosures. You might end up need 4 separate enclosures depending on how they get along when separated into pairs.

Your friend should not have attached such conditions, and you should not have agreed to them.