Galapagos and Aldabras together?

ogmoses

10 Year Member!
Is it possible for these two spices be housed together.

I have been thinking of buying a baby Galapagos. Space is not an issue as you can see my yard has been landscaped with for Sheldon.

The size worries me as the galap will be a lot smaller but I've heard that they grow faster then Aldabras.
What other cons? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1468990075.106509.jpg
He looks lonely :(

If this topic does not belong please move or remove
Thanks

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Torts don't get lonely. You are projecting human emotions. They are content on their own.

Generally we do not recommend mixing species as they all tolerate germs, but what one species tolerates could kill another.

In any case if you are introducing a new tort, they must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for a good 6 months to ensure that neither makes the other sick.

Introduction may succeed, these are some of the more peaceable species, but equally it could result in a fight as territory is defended from the newcomer. The difference in size is an immediate problem - how fast the smaller will grow isn't really relevant when the bigger is pushing the smaller one around.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Not good to keep different species together. They are from two different parts of the world. However there are people that do keep different species together and have no ill effects. Its really up to you. Majority vote would say do not mix species tho. It can cause problems or loss of tortoises

Kyle

ogmoses

10 Year Member!
Torts don't get lonely. You are projecting human emotions. They are content on their own.

Generally we do not recommend mixing species as they all tolerate germs, but what one species tolerates could kill another.

In any case if you are introducing a new tort, they must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for a good 6 months to ensure that neither makes the other sick.

Introduction may succeed, these are some of the more peaceable species, but equally it could result in a fight as territory is defended from the newcomer. The difference in size is an immediate problem - how fast the smaller will grow isn't really relevant when the bigger is pushing the smaller one around.
Thanks for the info. I knew most of the responses from all the years of research on the Aldabras. But thanks again very helpful

ogmoses

10 Year Member!
Not good to keep different species together. They are from two different parts of the world. However there are people that do keep different species together and have no ill effects. Its really up to you. Majority vote would say do not mix species tho. It can cause problems or loss of tortoises

Kyle
Thanks man. Everything about these giants seems so similar if any spices can be mixed I thought it would be these two. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Species should not be mixed. Tortoises should not be kept in pairs.

The Aldabras are very different than the Galapagos islands. These two species come from very different environments. They are also quite different in temperament. Galapagos tortoises tend to be a lot more territorial and aggressive than the Aldabra tortoises are.

I have video of two small juvenile Galapagos tortoises at the Darwin center in the Galapagos Islands trying to kill each other. I've never seen that behavior in an Aldabra.

ogmoses

10 Year Member!

The Aldabras are very different than the Galapagos islands. These two species come from very different environments. They are also quite different in temperament. Galapagos tortoises tend to be a lot more territorial and aggressive than the Aldabra tortoises are.

I have video of two small juvenile Galapagos tortoises at the Darwin center in the Galapagos Islands trying to kill each other. I've never seen that behavior in an Aldabra.
Thanks.
Wow any way you can share that video?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Zoos will typically keep these species together. It's really not a good idea. Most people think Galapagos tortoise are like Aldabras and sweet.mthey are actually quite territorial and can get aggressive. Both males and females have mating rituals and display biting and ramming for territory. If you have space I'd suggest dividing the area into two sections. Another thing about the gallops is they do tend to grow incredibly fast in captivity. But even keepers that grow them smooth and appear healthy, rapid growth for this species is not good for them. The best keeper and authority on this species is Colette Adams at the Gladys porter zoo. They have an extensive in-situ and ex-situ partnership with Darwin station. Wild species go through a somewhat of starving period in the wild that develops them slower and more proper. This season is also the cold season when Antarctic currents bring cold nights and chilly days to the islands. They won't hibernate but they so sure verynlittlemduring these months. In captivity food and warmth is offered year around day in and day out so they just keep growing. But it's starting to show that a lot of captive specimens are having clinic issues like goiders, hip displasia(like in canines) thin carapacial growth, enlarged organs etc..

So keep these things in mind.

Aldabras are quite different and don't have the typical cool season to warm wet season transition like Galapagos do. The diets are completely different as well. Most chelonoidis consume broad leaf vegetation and endemic species of opuntia cactus and fruits while Aldabras consume more leaves and grasses.

Similar in physique but different in many many ways.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Ha we pretty much said the same things. Yeah a lot of people don't realize that gallops are actually quite aggressive species.

ogmoses

10 Year Member!
Zoos will typically keep these species together. It's really not a good idea. Most people think Galapagos tortoise are like Aldabras and sweet.mthey are actually quite territorial and can get aggressive. Both males and females have mating rituals and display biting and ramming for territory. If you have space I'd suggest dividing the area into two sections. Another thing about the gallops is they do tend to grow incredibly fast in captivity. But even keepers that grow them smooth and appear healthy, rapid growth for this species is not good for them. The best keeper and authority on this species is Colette Adams at the Gladys porter zoo. They have an extensive in-situ and ex-situ partnership with Darwin station. Wild species go through a somewhat of starving period in the wild that develops them slower and more proper. This season is also the cold season when Antarctic currents bring cold nights and chilly days to the islands. They won't hibernate but they so sure verynlittlemduring these months. In captivity food and warmth is offered year around day in and day out so they just keep growing. But it's starting to show that a lot of captive specimens are having clinic issues like goiders, hip displasia(like in canines) thin carapacial growth, enlarged organs etc..

So keep these things in mind.

Aldabras are quite different and don't have the typical cool season to warm wet season transition like Galapagos do. The diets are completely different as well. Most chelonoidis consume broad leaf vegetation and endemic species of opuntia cactus and fruits while Aldabras consume more leaves and grasses.

Similar in physique but different in many many ways.
Thanks you very much very helpful.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

~ I totally agree.