Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Prairie Mom

A whole horseradish festival! Who would have thought!? I hadn't thought about horseradish either, but am eager to try it out since Len says it's really cold tolerant. I'm surprised Len's tortoises like it so much and am curious to try it out. I imagine the leaves aren't as strong tasting as the root. My Mavis seems to make a "yuck" reaction if she happens to nibble on a strong tasting herb.

I was trying to look up what people said about the leaves and @Turtulas-Len 's forum post popped up in google. I thought that was really cool and decided to provide a link here...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/horseradish-leaves.49387/

On the bottom of the screen in the "similar threads" section it also showed one of his more recent threads about his sulcata eating fallen leaves. I thought that was cool and LOVED the photo of his tort, so I thought I'd show off his handy work too...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-eating-leaves-falling-from-maple-trees.102189/

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Rick, where are you located? As in how cold do your temps get?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess I need to quit putting if off and go plant some of the potted plants I have bought throughout the summer. Anybody wanna come dig some holes?

Prairie Mom

I guess I need to quit putting if off and go plant some of the potted plants I have bought throughout the summer. Anybody wanna come dig some holes?
I'm coming over Jacqui! I'll even bring my own shovel:)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds great to me. I have the first 25 or so done, but still have atleast 75 more. :rolleyes: Wouldn't be bad if the soil was bare, but getting through the grass is a royal pain.

Prairie Mom

Sounds great to me. I have the first 25 or so done, but still have atleast 75 more. :rolleyes: Wouldn't be bad if the soil was bare, but getting through the grass is a royal pain.
Wow! Jacqui, that is A LOT! I'm eager to hear what all you are planting? Also, please tag me whenever you post pictures of your land any where (or post some here! woo hoo!) I'm starting to get pretty nosey about your yard:)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Yesterday was eight rose bushes, several Echinacea flowers, and the rest I can't recall off hand. I still have two more roses, two grapes, four Althea, about 20 butterfly bushes, about 20 various sedums, more Echinacea, blanket flowers, daylilies, and I can't recall the rest.

Prairie Mom

Yesterday was eight rose bushes, several Echinacea flowers, and the rest I can't recall off hand. I still have two more roses, two grapes, four Althea, about 20 butterfly bushes, about 20 various sedums, more Echinacea, blanket flowers, daylilies, and I can't recall the rest.
That sounds like a lot of work, but BEAUTIFUL!!! 20 Butterfly bushes...wow! I really want to see your property. Over the next couple summers we want to road trip to visit relatives. I just mentioned in your "pretend chat" that I want to swing by your place. I want to see your land and beasties. I'll bring my human beasties and the strawberries:)

Are you in zone 4? I'm curious about your grapes. I'm a little disappointed with my grapes and am on the hunt for some LARGE seedless grapes that can tolerate zone 4.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am zone five. I have great luck with any of the grapes that I have planted. I don't use the grapes, so most of mine actually have seeds.

Yep those butterfly bushes are mainly for me. I just love seeing the butterflies they attract.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh wow, lookee at all them stickie things! :) How many different varieties do you have?

Prairie Mom

WOW! My jaw dropped! It's an absolutely beautiful greenhouse and I've never seen so many cacti and succulents in my life! I second Jacqui's question about "how many different varieties?" I have no experience with cacti. They are so pretty! You'll definitely be able to grow some nice tortoise food there:)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Wow, prairie mom! I didn't expect to see such a variety of veggies. I'm super glad you ended up starting this thread. Most of the items you grow, I'm trying to grow! I'm glad I saw the blanching idea because I hadn't known that was supposed to be done. I would love to have a garden like yours when I have my own yard to work with. There's nothing like home grown vegetables.

Prairie Mom

Wow, prairie mom! I didn't expect to see such a variety of veggies. I'm super glad you ended up starting this thread. Most of the items you grow, I'm trying to grow! I'm glad I saw the blanching idea because I hadn't known that was supposed to be done. I would love to have a garden like yours when I have my own yard to work with. There's nothing like home grown vegetables.

Blake, it makes me so happy to hear you say that! ...Yaaay! I've been really enjoying this thread and love hearing and seeing what other people are doing too. I'm such a sucker for this kind of stuff and am thrilled you're enjoying it too!

About my garden... every year we try to add something new and also try to grow things from seed vs store bought plants. So, in a way all gardening is new to me, because I'm always trying something different. I finally got cauliflower down and it took me some time to figure out how to keep the bugs out. -Hopefully you won't have that problem, but I definitely recommend blanching the white cauliflower when the head is about door knob sized. I'm thrilled you found that helpful! I still have not "mastered" corn. I still pick it too early and also struggle with snow storms freezing my plants before they ripen all the way. I'll keep practicing.

Please share how your garden works out for you. I'm eager to see!

Last edited: