Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
I have a serious problem. I swear i feel as bad for plants as i do animals....if i am at work and theres plants that boss says just throw them out, i cant....i bring them home if there is any way to do so. Thing is i am running out of room lol.20171107_172632.jpg

I also have a couple grass plants, some oxalis purple and green, some kind of little tree that i actually bought the seeds and then today i bring home a bunch of azaleas and one rosemary that were starting to dry so the lady switched with new ones. Oh and some little something or other

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
Let me show you what my Mother in-law did for our garden. She been a farmer all her life in China, She is now live with us. She used every inch of our very small back yard and grow all kind of thing through out the different seasons. She provided fresh vegetables for us and for our torts.

View attachment 101701 View attachment 101702 View attachment 101703 View attachment 101704

She is hard at work.......................

View attachment 101705 View attachment 101706 View attachment 101707

Wow, your torts are lucky! I had a question, though. What is the plant in the first photo right where the time stamp for the photo is? Is it some sort of lettuce? I'm asking 'cause our backyard has similar looking plants and I haven't been able to ID them with confidence.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I just brought home a small orchid from work that's nearly dead. I've never grown an orchid before. It's pretty brown and small so I imagine it'd be extremely difficult to identify the exact species, but I can include a photo if you guys like (I'll try my best with the camera). It's only about an inch tall. Any general orchid growing tips??

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
I just brought home a small orchid from work that's nearly dead. I've never grown an orchid before. It's pretty brown and small so I imagine it'd be extremely difficult to identify the exact species, but I can include a photo if you guys like (I'll try my best with the camera). It's only about an inch tall. Any general orchid growing tips??
Sounds about like me! I bring home half dead stuff all the time just because i know most of them will come back with a little tlc.....and water!
Which reminds me, i have a big pot of mixed bulb-plants that went crazy and i need to separate...i have no idea what any of them are but was told everything in that bed had to go so now i have half of them at home. Plus a bunch of runners from various plants and half dead azaleas and rosemary. Some weird plants i found and brought home because they didnt belong so they were "weeds"

I have tried identifying some of them to no avail, the rest will have to wait prob til they flower or whatever it is they will do

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Wow, your torts are lucky! I had a question, though. What is the plant in the first photo right where the time stamp for the photo is? Is it some sort of lettuce? I'm asking 'cause our backyard has similar looking plants and I haven't been able to ID them with confidence.
I'm very sorry for the late reply.

It is Spanish. So I don't think what ever the plants in your backyard, may not be Spanish.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I took a few photos and finally figured out my husband's camera. Here's the orchid; I think it's actually grown a bit! Watering once or twice a day has been helping the most, I think. I've been keeping the water in the pot for a couple extra minutes to let the charcoal substrate absorb more water. He's now sitting with the other houseplants at the south-facing window.

orchid.jpg

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I took a few photos and finally figured out my husband's camera. Here's the orchid; I think it's actually grown a bit! Watering once or twice a day has been helping the most, I think. I've been keeping the water in the pot for a couple extra minutes to let the charcoal substrate absorb more water. He's now sitting with the other houseplants at the south-facing window.

View attachment 223940
I've tried growing several different types of orchids over the years and failed at every attempt.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan

Len B

10 Year Member!
I took these pics today, The first is of a rose of sharon that is still green. I have a bunch of these in pots and planted in the ground, wonder why this still one has leaves when all the rest are leave less.Picture 2519.jpg here is a sedum that died back from cold temps but has new growth sprouting.Picture 2517.jpg

Prairie Mom

Hello wonderful tortoise forum gardeners I miss you guys. I'm testing out the phone app (not sure what I think yet) so I can try to catch up during work breaks etc. Big hello hugs to you!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Hello wonderful tortoise forum gardeners I miss you guys. I'm testing out the phone app (not sure what I think yet) so I can try to catch up during work breaks etc. Big hello hugs to you!
Happy gardening to you! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, Chrissy, so very very good to see you posting again. We missed a whole year ( or has it been two) years of seeing your gardens. Please stay with us. You are so interesting. Are the kids all ok?

Prairie Mom

Oh, Chrissy, so very very good to see you posting again. We missed a whole year ( or has it been two) years of seeing your gardens. Please stay with us. You are so interesting. Are the kids all ok?
It feels like five years! I miss my forum friends! [emoji169]The kids are huge and doing great. All humans and beasts are good. Have had a few elderly cats peacefully make their way to heaven. Still teaching and doing retail, so free time doesn't exist at all but we're doing really well. Not nearly as much gardening happening. Covered up a few beds and no indoor gardening right now. Hoping that will change once I finish a new set up up for Mavis. (Working on a heated tort room inside my super insulated garage and plan to move grow lights in there with her.)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Here's how i have easy access to earth worms, even during winter. It's just copy paper,, The bricks are to keep the papers in place and not blow around.This morning I when I went to get some for the baby box turtles it was 29 F and after looking under a couple piles of paper found enough for them. I get worms every few days not dailyPicture 2593.jpg Picture 2595.jpg Picture 2598.jpg