Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I can't remember what species of tortoise you have, but everybody knows I have Sulcata, since I had Bob I've put the poop in a corner of the yard and dug it in, and turned it and added grass leavings. That spot is full of nightcrawlers I use for feed, and Sulcata poop makes the best fertilizer, my neighbors beg me for it...makes big flowers
That is so awesome. I have a little Russian tort, so not much poop in comparison, but I do still let him poop around his garden. Since we built his new garden, I got so excited for his first poop in his new outdoor space! ?

Ubercat

Sheffield
That is so awesome. I have a little Russian tort, so not much poop in comparison, but I do still let him poop around his garden. Since we built his new garden, I got so excited for his first poop in his new outdoor space! ?

Funny what makes us happy, isn’t it? :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Does anyone have any suggestions for growing Christmas cactus? Everything I've read online says they're easy to grow with not a lot of extra care needed, but mine is not doing so hot. I'm wondering if there's a specific kind of soil that it might do well in, or even if there's some sort of plant food that might help—I hesitate to use the word "fertilizer" because this plant is for my tortoise, but it might just need some added nutrients to its soil. I'm going to try re-potting it in some citrus/cactus soil with lava rocks in the bottom of the pot (under the soil) to prevent root rot. Any other suggestions?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Does anyone have any suggestions for growing Christmas cactus? Everything I've read online says they're easy to grow with not a lot of extra care needed, but mine is not doing so hot. I'm wondering if there's a specific kind of soil that it might do well in, or even if there's some sort of plant food that might help—I hesitate to use the word "fertilizer" because this plant is for my tortoise, but it might just need some added nutrients to its soil. I'm going to try re-potting it in some citrus/cactus soil with lava rocks in the bottom of the pot (under the soil) to prevent root rot. Any other suggestions?
I have several. They are in the sunniest window, and watered just before they're gonna wilt. In 6 or 8 inch pots, water mine maybe twice a month. Oh, planted in potting soil, not sand stuffs. Just my opinion, I'll take a photo for you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well drained soil, NOT the kind for houseplants, and only water when dry.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I have several. They are in the sunniest window, and watered just before they're gonna wilt. In 6 or 8 inch pots, water mine maybe twice a month. Oh, planted in potting soil, not sand stuffs. Just my opinion, I'll take a photo for you
Well drained soil, NOT the kind for houseplants, and only water when dry.
Thanks!! So they really don't like a lot of water? Good to know. I think mine's bloomed maybe twice since I got it. Steve loved the flowers so I hope I can save it. I moved it closer to the sun and put it in a smaller pot since it was in a pot way too big for it.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Ah puff ball. If you cut it and it’s pure white inside it’s ok to eat and grayish brownish - not good.
I don’t pick those.
I go mushroom hunting every fall. This is from few days ago.
View attachment 308240
:eek: Woah!!!! I know almost nothing about mushrooms—is fall the time to forage for them? It must be since we recently had an explosion of mushrooms in our yard, shortly after I took posted that mushroom photo. I'd never seen so many different kinds of mushrooms in one yard! I guess that means our lawn has a healthy fungal environment.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
:eek: Woah!!!! I know almost nothing about mushrooms—is fall the time to forage for them? It must be since we recently had an explosion of mushrooms in our yard, shortly after I took posted that mushroom photo. I'd never seen so many different kinds of mushrooms in one yard! I guess that means our lawn has a healthy fungal environment.
I would say fall is the best time yes. However there are some that are only out in spring time.
I love going and getting mushrooms. So relaxing.

Relic

Here
I used to be a fan of the various echinacea plants: coneflowers in several shades, but mine have literally gotten out of control. They grow on a hillside, the multitude of seed heads shed seed in abundance, and I've got more than I ever bargained for - hundreds, if not thousands - growing like, well, weeds. But the wife likes them, so they stay. IMG_6359.jpeg

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I used to be a fan of the various echinacea plants: coneflowers in several shades, but mine have literally gotten out of control. They grow on a hillside, the multitude of seed heads shed seed in abundance, and I've got more than I ever bargained for - hundreds, if not thousands - growing like, well, weeds. But the wife likes them, so they stay. View attachment 322312
I am very jealous... I have like 4 very small plants and 1 flower..... what kind of climate you in?

Relic

Here
I am very jealous... I have like 4 very small plants and 1 flower..... what kind of climate you in?
Texas...hotter than blazes in summer. Coneflowers seem to thrive in it. Save the seed heads, let them dry for a few weeks in autumn. Break off the seeds from the head and scatter or plant them during the winter months wherever you want them. Then just get out of the way...

Mine do get watered twice a week from the sprinkler system during the summer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've got this great big Euphorbia 'tree' that I can't remember the name of - E. neri. . . (something or other). It's about 8' tall, reaches the ceiling of my porch.

Euphorbia tree a.jpg

One would think a tree this tall would have some pretty big flowers, right? I've noticed flowers on it for the first time today.

Euphorbia tree b.jpg

Teeny, tiny little flowers. I almost missed them, but was looking for mealy bugs.

This plant is in desperate need of a new pot, but I can't afford a pot that big, so I was thinking of planting it in the ground. Trouble is, since this old brain won't allow me to remember the name of the plant, I'm unable to ask my friend, Google, how cold hardy the plant is.

I was thinking of looking for a PVC laundry tray to see how costly that would be to use as a pot for my tree. Maybe I'll go do that now. . .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Geez, I can get one at Lowe's for $29! Wish I'd a known that yesterday when I was there buying wooden stakes (for the vampires). It comes with legs, which I wouldn't want. I wonder if they're removeable. Well next Friday when I'm out and about I'll swing by Lowe's and see if they have them in stock.

Relic

Here
OK, I'll bite: I wanna see video of that transplanting operation. It looks difficult, dangerous, and likely to provoke more than a little laughter. If I were to attempt that scale of transplanting here, my wife would cook up a mess of popcorn, pull up a chair, and probably contacts the news media...