Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
I can't seem to take the nice sharp photos like Maro2bear...but here is some of my simple plants...100_3225.JPG
Strawberry plant growing out of the asphalt.100_3226.JPG
My Dad grew sweet peas, so I ythought I would and, oh man, they are so pretty and their smell so reminds me of my Dad..100_3135.JPG
100_2959.JPG
My Rose of Sharon are blooming...sort of one at a time because our weather has been so crappy so here is the purple one...100_3205 (1).JPG100_2576.JPG100_3095.JPG

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
@jaizei : As you know, when you order the rainbow eucalyptus seeds online they send you a little plastic envelope filled with sixty million of the tiniest seeds you ever saw in your life. They're so tiny as to appear like the dust particles you see floating around in the sun stream at the window.

Well, I never had any luck, but my motto is try, try again, so I re ordered. I filled a rectangular planter with potting soil and broadcast a bunch of the dust particles across the top, then took a fork and lightly disturbed the dirt hoping to cover the seeds up. That was about a month ago. Here's what I'm seeing this a.m. (sorry for the blurry picture. When I push the close-up button the pictures always come out blurry, and the subject matter in the second picture is a lot smaller than it looks in the picture):

View attachment 347744View attachment 347745

Now if I can just keep them alive. There are three that I can see. Watch. . . they'll turn out to be some sort of weed just cause I bragged!

I was thinking about these trees the other day when i was looking at plants on ebay/etsy. Maybe ill try seeds this time instead of seedlings

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
@jaizei : As you know, when you order the rainbow eucalyptus seeds online they send you a little plastic envelope filled with sixty million of the tiniest seeds you ever saw in your life. They're so tiny as to appear like the dust particles you see floating around in the sun stream at the window.

Well, I never had any luck, but my motto is try, try again, so I re ordered. I filled a rectangular planter with potting soil and broadcast a bunch of the dust particles across the top, then took a fork and lightly disturbed the dirt hoping to cover the seeds up. That was about a month ago. Here's what I'm seeing this a.m. (sorry for the blurry picture. When I push the close-up button the pictures always come out blurry, and the subject matter in the second picture is a lot smaller than it looks in the picture):

View attachment 347744View attachment 347745

Now if I can just keep them alive. There are three that I can see. Watch. . . they'll turn out to be some sort of weed just cause I bragged!
Good luck! That'd be very cool to get those to grow by seed!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@jaizei : My baby rainbow eucalyptus seedlings are looking more and more like Chickweed babies!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
A few species of swallowtail have been all around our yard recently! We've seen them on some thistle in our orchard and on a small colony of cup plants (Silphium perfoliatum) that we planted last season, I think. This year, the cup plant stalks are 9, maybe 10 feet tall. The flowers have been visited by butterflies, bees, and other pollinators. I think I saw a hummingbird check it out yesterday. The swallowtails are just crazy for the flowers!! I was super excited when a monarch stopped by recently too. Husband and I have big plans for putting down more of these plants.

cup_plant_butterflies.jpg

Is anyone else having issues with Japanese beetles? We've been seeing a ton around our yard since July. I have seen traps available; has anyone actually tried them?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
@jaizei : My baby rainbow eucalyptus seedlings are looking more and more like Chickweed babies!

At least it was viable, whatever it was. One of main reasons i stopped with seeds from etsy & ebay was that theres know way to know how old the seeds were or that they were the right ones.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
A few species of swallowtail have been all around our yard recently! We've seen them on some thistle in our orchard and on a small colony of cup plants (Silphium perfoliatum) that we planted last season, I think. This year, the cup plant stalks are 9, maybe 10 feet tall. The flowers have been visited by butterflies, bees, and other pollinators. I think I saw a hummingbird check it out yesterday. The swallowtails are just crazy for the flowers!! I was super excited when a monarch stopped by recently too. Husband and I have big plans for putting down more of these plants.

View attachment 348648

Is anyone else having issues with Japanese beetles? We've been seeing a ton around our yard since July. I have seen traps available; has anyone actually tried them?

We have issues every year with tons of Japanese Beetles. A few years back we put down MilkySpore that helps attack the grubs. We also put up a few JB traps (the bags with a lure) that attracts them & catches/kills them.

➡️➡️ https://www.arbico-organics.com/category/s

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Your Musa, yes? These are very cool. Do they ever fruit and have you tried it?

We have issues every year with tons of Japanese Beetles. A few years back we put down MilkySpore that helps attack the grubs. We also put up a few JB traps (the bags with a lure) that attracts them & catches/kills them.

➡️➡️ https://www.arbico-organics.com/category/s
Thanks, I will look into that! My husband thinks he saw a blue jay pick up a Japanese beetle, and beetles are part of their diet. It's a good thing that we usually have plenty of blue jays in our yard.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Your Musa, yes? These are very cool. Do they ever fruit and have you tried it?

Thanks, I will look into that! My husband thinks he saw a blue jay pick up a Japanese beetle, and beetles are part of their diet. It's a good thing that we usually have plenty of blue jays in our yard.
Yes they are, some do flower but never get edible fruit. The ones that flower die but produce new plants from the root system to replace it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few pics of some of the stuff growing here this summer. The first two are of the grape vine.KIMG1216.JPGKIMG1217.JPGA volunteer gourd plant is growing out front. Not sure where the seed came from.KIMG1222.JPGThis is the first year that this ROS is producing more than just a couple flowers KIMG1219.JPGThis last one is for me not the tortoise's. KIMG1226.JPG

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
A few pics of some of the stuff growing here this summer. The first two are of the grape vine.View attachment 348746View attachment 348747A volunteer gourd plant is growing out front. Not sure where the seed came from.View attachment 348748This is the first year that this ROS is producing more than just a couple flowers View attachment 348749This last one is for me not the tortoise's. View attachment 348750
Nice looking flowers, you're have to show us a picture when that last plant flowers. Just don't feed that one to your tortoise. LOL!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Pretty delighted to see this little dude today now that monarchs have been declared endangered. We bought out one nursery's supply of milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) this season.

monarch_caterpiller.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Spotted this Hawk Moth feeding among our phlox yesterday. Many ppl see them & think they are Hummingbirds…. Watch & look for the proboscis !

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Spotted this Hawk Moth feeding among our phlox yesterday. Many ppl see them & think they are Hummingbirds…. Watch & look for the proboscis !

I always think they look like flying lobster tails.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I finally got my 'designer' cactus shelf put up. I had planned to hang it higher in order to fill out the 'canvas' so to speak, but it looked like that was never going to get done, so I just set it on the shelf. I was also going to white wash it, but as you see, that didn't get done either. Half of my plants are still in the greenhouse from winter, and I normally start putting them in there in September, so I'm guessing they're just going to have to stay in there. I've lost a lot of them because it's just too darned hot in there in the summer.

cactus shelf a.jpgcactus shelf b.jpg