Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
That pretty neat, mine are Hardy Banana Trees. Not sure if they will get bananas 🤔. This is a picture of mine this morning, starting with 1 two years ago.

Attachments

• 20230531_131728.jpg
    20230531_131728.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That pretty neat, mine are Hardy Banana Trees. Not sure if they will get bananas 🤔. This is a picture of mine this morning, starting with 1 two years ago.
I'm pretty sure you have the same type of trees I have. It takes several years for them to produce a flower bud. After they bud out they die. But you get new young plants from that one before they die.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Not everything I grow blooms yellow, but most do. Here's some. Years ago my wife had a white garden with a few red lillies in it. Over the years all the white dissapeard leaving only the red lillies. KIMG2267.JPGKIMG2268.JPGA couple years ago I had to stop giving them away because I was down to only a couple plants. They are coming back though. KIMG2265.JPGKIMG2265.JPGThis cholla I got from Arizona, I like it but they sure are one nasty plant.KIMG2270.JPGThese last 2 will not make it past the bud stage.🦨

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I'm trying to regrow a pineapple from the green stalk on top of the fruit. It is starting to root, albeit very slowly.

Pictures of my butterfly and hummingbird garden this year, all weeded with new mulch. To fill it in more, I planted obedient plant (Physostegia virginiana), hoary vervain (Verbena stricta), blue lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica), and more cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis). The cardinal flower I planted last year may stalk and flower this year if it's happy, so that would be fabulous. The golden alexanders (Zizia aurea) are what's in bloom now. It looks like most of last year's plants are back and doing all right. There are lots of little milkweed stalks coming back up, so last year's plants seeded very well, unsurprisingly. Of course, there's always plenty of evening primrose (Oenothera biennis) since its seed gets everywhere. I may have also just planted a hairy beardtongue (Penstemon hirsutus) but I already can't remember now. We've been doing a ton of planting around the yard, as usual for this time of year, so we'll see what blooms!

View attachment 357229

View attachment 357230

I've only seen the hummingbird visit our new feeder once so far, but they don't stick around long! I've already seen a fair number of butterflies, including the red admiral and the tiger swallowtail. Hoping to see more swallowtails as we keep adding more of their larval hosts to the yard. :D

View attachment 357232
Cardinal flower is coming into bloom now. Around the yard, we have tons of milkweed (we opened leftover pods in late winter and distributed more seeds), black-eyed Susan, coreopsis, and monarda flowers. Coneflowers are just starting to bloom now too. The cup plant stalks are still growing; I think the tallest have just hit about 6 feet.

1689184946756.png

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Curious if your torts will eat it?
Every once and a while, I pick him a leaf of it and throw it in his salad. I think he finds the aroma too pungent, so I don't think he's ever eaten it. I keep another patch of it in his garden but I may transplant it to make space for more dandelions or something.

EricW

Houston, TX
Every once and a while, I pick him a leaf of it and throw it in his salad. I think he finds the aroma too pungent, so I don't think he's ever eaten it. I keep another patch of it in his garden but I may transplant it to make space for more dandelions or something.
Yeah, mine doesn't eat much mint and typically pass up on my 2 different monarda species and the mountain mint I have. Doesn't surprise me, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any luck.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
More blooms from our butterfly garden: Milkweed and some hoary vervain. I'm pretty sure a monarch landed on them yesterday.

1689523433045.png

Cardinal flower buds and blooms. Phone cameras just can't capture the brilliant reds they display!

1689528439387.png

1689528418078.png

Elsewhere in the yard, some coneflower, which has been racing the cup plants next to them to be the tallest. (The cup plants will ultimately win!!)

1689526595648.png

Our wild petunias were able to grow to a pretty good size and flower a bunch without getting eaten. The herbivores did enjoy over-pruning them in the spring. Steve enjoys an occasional leaf or flower from them.

1689526718032.png

A cup plant holding some rain water for birds and bugs:

1689529010055.png

We've designated an area of our front yard as a restored prairie where we'd put a bunch of seeds down previously. The black-eyed Susans are mostly what's popped up. There are some random coneflowers and coreopsis around too, and maybe other stuff like grasses, and plenty of milkweed nearby. We put down a bunch of plugs this spring to add some variety. I'm excited about the sneezeweed and a few sunflower species I added. I'll probably check the sunflowers today to see if they've bloomed. The area is maybe about 300 or 400 sq. ft.

1689526674512.png

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Yeah, mine doesn't eat much mint and typically pass up on my 2 different monarda species and the mountain mint I have. Doesn't surprise me, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone had any luck.
I won't give up though! 😀 Steve has gotten the opportunity to try a bunch of plants that he probably never would've been able to if I hadn't taken him in, like aster, geranium, echinacea, plantain, evening primrose, hibiscus ... the list goes on!

I haven't specifically grown any grape plants for Steve yet but we have plenty around the yard. Are there are specific species or cultivars of grape that anyone here grows for their torts?

EricW

Houston, TX
I won't give up though! 😀 Steve has gotten the opportunity to try a bunch of plants that he probably never would've been able to if I hadn't taken him in, like aster, geranium, echinacea, plantain, evening primrose, hibiscus ... the list goes on!

I haven't specifically grown any grape plants for Steve yet but we have plenty around the yard. Are there are specific species or cultivars of grape that anyone here grows for their torts?
Aster has been slow for me and I don't have much for geranium. The rest you listed are a hit for me. Plantain and some and the native primrose do not grow in the summer for me though.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
The pollinators are plentiful! Monarch caterpillar on some milkweed:

1690938589478.png

We've had hummingbird moths visiting some Monarda fistulosa lately. I think I observed them mating today, and I also saw a few eastern tiger swallowtails here.

1690941099213.png

Some sort of skipper.

1690941284333.png

A black swallowtail.

1690949680054.png

I think this is an eastern comma basking in the sun. We've also seen red admirals and a bunch of fritillaries. I've really been making use of my butterfly field guide this year!

1690947843119.png

Passing along a fun gardening idea: My mom had an old stump in her backyard and didn't know what to do with it, so I suggested planting a native wood fern inside it. Looks to be doing quite well.

1690946735395.png

Last edited:

Len B

10 Year Member!
The bananas are coming along View attachment 357431Another bloom showed up View attachment 357432It should start opening up in a few days.
It looks like these banana plants make tiny bananas. Here's a pic from today KIMG2406.JPGthey are still small. The second bloom produced bananas then they wilted and rotted away. We've had a very wet summer usually this time of the year it's dry but I still have to cut grass almost weekly. The banana plants have flourished with the moist soil this year KIMG2408.JPG

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
It looks like these banana plants make tiny bananas. Here's a pic from today View attachment 359999they are still small. The second bloom produced bananas then they wilted and rotted away. We've had a very wet summer usually this time of the year it's dry but I still have to cut grass almost weekly. The banana plants have flourished with the moist soil this year View attachment 360000
Bananas and cactus both fantastic! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Please go to the raffle post:

and take a look at the picture of the raffle prize. If this is something that would look good in your house, on your wall, buy some raffle tickets!

The raffle is only going on for another week, going to close on Aug. 31st. Don't miss out on the chance to own this beautiful work of art.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
It looks like these banana plants make tiny bananas. Here's a pic from today View attachment 359999they are still small. The second bloom produced bananas then they wilted and rotted away. We've had a very wet summer usually this time of the year it's dry but I still have to cut grass almost weekly. The banana plants have flourished with the moist soil this year View attachment 360000
How did the bananas turn out? Did they taste any good? :)

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
My husband is very good at finding mantids in our tall grass. This one was about 6 inches long.

1694830039698.png