Garden & tortie house

Status
Not open for further replies.

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Murcia, Spain
Hello everyone, LuLu is here and we selected a part of our garden to let her live in, I want it to be as natural as possible.
So she is in a section of my garden that has pines trees, a palm, a mimosa tree, some succulents, honeysuckle and a rubber plant. Theres lots of debris from the pines and mimosa. Its flat with 2 seperate steps upto terraced area. These steps are over 5" high & tiled so I hope that is a sufficient barrier.
I have used a large circular drip tray from a plant pot, washed of course for her water and another one for food. My husband has made her a little house and hopefully this is where she will hibernate (if they do here in Spain ??) and shelter in the colder and rainy times.
Does all that make sense ? Im open to suggestions.
ps. Im worried about keeping track of her as its a fairly large area about 4x15 mtrs - any tips :) thanks everyone :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a nice big area. They do tend to pick favorite sites to burrow and sleep in, so if you spend time watching her, you will know where to look when needed. Of course, they don't need to eat every day, so if you want her to have a more natural life, you can let her burrow when she wants, and graze in the yard. Perhaps put your tort house in one of her favorite areas.
Make sure there are plenty of edible flowers/plants, or pick an area and sow some tortoise friendly weed seeds.
I think pine can be irritating to torts, but I have seen other posts that mention most of the stuff that falls is dry, so not as much of a problem, possibly.
Other more experienced keepers will have suggestions, especially if you post some pictures of the area. Also, did you mention what kind of tort you have and what size she is (sorry if I missed that)?

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
lynnedit said:
That is a nice big area. They do tend to pick favorite sites to burrow and sleep in, so if you spend time watching her, you will know where to look when needed. Of course, they don't need to eat every day, so if you want her to have a more natural life, you can let her burrow when she wants, and graze in the yard. Perhaps put your tort house in one of her favorite areas.
Make sure there are plenty of edible flowers/plants, or pick an area and sow some tortoise friendly weed seeds.
I think pine can be irritating to torts, but I have seen other posts that mention most of the stuff that falls is dry, so not as much of a problem, possibly.
Other more experienced keepers will have suggestions, especially if you post some pictures of the area. Also, did you mention what kind of tort you have and what size she is (sorry if I missed that)?

thanks so much for your comments :) she is out and about this morning exploring her new home and eating a bit, I put some romano (sp?) lettuce bits, which she is tucking into as we speak :D
I'll take some pics of the area and some more of LuLu, I think she is a Hermann and I think she is a she :D
thanks again :tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....that sounds wonderful....I have only one suggestion in regards to the pine tree..you may want to make sure to rake up the needles as they are a toxic source...I too would love to see pics :D

P

paragonremodeling

Your ideas are very good and if you have plan to plant some flowers will be more beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.