Gender revealed by size or age?

Destben

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Now I hear that you can tell the gender at 7 inches shell length but I also hear that you won’t know till they are around 4 years. Is size enough or would you truly be in the dark until they reach some sort of sexual maturity? Or is that defined by size?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is both to some degree, but more size. Also depends on species. Radiata can be the right size, but you're not getting babies until they are old enough. For leopards, you should know for sure by four years old, but possibly much earlier than that depending on size.

Destben

Kansas
It is both to some degree, but more size. Also depends on species. Radiata can be the right size, but you're not getting babies until they are old enough. For leopards, you should know for sure by four years old, but possibly much earlier than that depending on size.

Yeah torterra is 1 1/2 years old and 7in in length. I really just wanted to figure out his/her gender. I just didn’t know if age played apart like puberty hasn’t hit or something to that effect

Chass

5 Year Member
Louisiana
We just found out or Sulcata (named Roger) who is 3 years old is a female....they wanna change her name to Regina now [emoji28]

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
They are all female until they're males :p.

I can't remember exactly when my male became obvious, but it was certainly less than 4 years of age, probably around the 6 in range, but some can show much sooner or later than others.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Unlike what' my girlfriend keeps on telling me, size does matter in Turtles and tortoises.