GENDER THEORIES FOR YOUNG TORTS?

MzNENA

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hello everyone.
I know determining a tortoise's gender is almost impossible until they are older and larger

But I'm wondering what tips or even what theories are there out there when it comes to determing gender??

From the readily heard to the bizarre what info is out there?

I in particular have an Iberra Greek Tortoise & have seen detailed images of determing the sex of a russian tortoise on this forum, but haven't come across a diagram for greek tortoises.

Any theories? :huh:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My theory is I assign gender to personality and if I am wrong then I have some very weird names for my Tortoises, lol. I generally stick to unisex ones anyway. I think Greeks are the same as Russians, big gross tail on the boys and such.

MzNENA

Colorado
Big gross tails lol Made.me chuckle.

Personanilty as in being less shy or more active for males?
Or what kind of personality traits?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
They're all individuals...not trying to rain on your parade but I haven't heard of any behavior trends that are associated with sex. Some are bruisers others are sheep, regardless of sex.

Other than having a qualified vet go into the cloaca, there's no telling until they start to mature.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If you find naughty magazines under their substrate where they sleep at night, it's almost certainly a boy! :p

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Moozillion said:
If you find naughty magazines under their substrate where they sleep at night, it's almost certainly a boy! :p

That's awesome [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Theories are fun[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]

I was looking at my little Leo's tails and while they looked extremely similar, Freckles tail is slightly longer than the tail of Beans and Watson. And Beans and Watson's tails appear identical at this stage. Freckles is smaller than Watson, the same size if not a tiny bit smaller than Beans but is 8-9 weeks OLDER than they are. She is small.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
I have heard of holding your tort up and running warm water (before a soak) on the underside of their tail in an attempt to elicit a "flash"....I've never tried it
Myself and I'm not sure how this helps determine females as a "no show" would be inconclusive ......but what could it hurt? If he flashes you'd know.

* is that the sort of story you were looking for?

Paris I love U

I own a caring for your tortoise book and it shows you how to determine the sex males have a long tail that curls up to there top shell and females have short tales curled to the side. Females are often larger x

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Paris I love U said:
I own a caring for your tortoise book and it shows you how to determine the sex males have a long tail that curls up to there top shell and females have short tales curled to the side. Females are often larger x

That is for adults.

MzNENA,

This is going to vary with species, with individuals, and with everyone's individual experiences and opinions.

Knowing the incubation temp can give you a more educated guess, but its still a guess. Sulcatas are the only species that I am aware of that have actually been studied and tested in a lab setting for this (Thank you Richard Fife!), so TSD (temperature sex determination) IS known for this one species, but to my knowledge it has not been tested and studied in other species, although generalizations have frequently been made.

In SOME species, males are generally more bold and outgoing, BUT there are exceptions to this.

The only way to know for sure is to patiently wait for the secondary sexual characteristics to manifest themselves. In most cases you can tell by around 3-4 years old.

MzNENA

Colorado
Tom said:
Paris I love U said:

That is for adults.

MzNENA,

This is going to vary with species, with individuals, and with everyone's individual experiences and opinions.

Knowing the incubation temp can give you a more educated guess, but its still a guess. Sulcatas are the only species that I am aware of that have actually been studied and tested in a lab setting for this (Thank you Richard Fife!), so TSD (temperature sex determination) IS known for this one species, but to my knowledge it has not been tested and studied in other species, although generalizations have frequently been made.

In SOME species, males are generally more bold and outgoing, BUT there are exceptions to this.

The only way to know for sure is to patiently wait for the secondary sexual characteristics to manifest themselves. In most cases you can tell by around 3-4 years old.

Thank you very much Tom for clarifying that for me! Guess when it really comes down to it, patience is really a part of this game. I'll just have to wait a few years to really see & be sure.
Thank you for the reply :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Supposedly, in the testudo species, for males the anal and femoral scute seam is indented. In testudo females, the same seam is straight. I've tried to test this out but the only testudo I have are Russians. It is the case in my Russians.