General Anxiety about my new tortoise

Noellecn

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Hello everyone, I just recently got my first tortoise, a young adult male Russian that I named Bruno. I have been dreaming of getting a tortoise since I was 3 years old, and now finally twenty years later I have one I can call my own. Being that I have wanted one for so long, I have done all the research I feel I could possibly do— my new buddy has a roomy enclosure with all of the correct and necessary aspects as well as proper maintained temps and humidity levels. He is eating well and all seems to be going great— the initial stress of moving to a new home has worn off and he looks very comfortable. However, a part of me can’t shake the anxiety that I might be doing something wrong— although I am sure that I am not, given that I have followed precisely what every owner of a healthy, happy Russian tortoise has said works best for them. I want Bruno’s life with me to be a long and happy one, but I find myself worrying about him often, without any real reason to be so worried. Has anyone else experienced this sort of anxiety when getting a new tort, or something similar? Has anything helped you ease these feelings, or does it simply come with time? Thank you so much!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I just recently got my first tortoise, a young adult male Russian that I named Bruno. I have been dreaming of getting a tortoise since I was 3 years old, and now finally twenty years later I have one I can call my own. Being that I have wanted one for so long, I have done all the research I feel I could possibly do— my new buddy has a roomy enclosure with all of the correct and necessary aspects as well as proper maintained temps and humidity levels. He is eating well and all seems to be going great— the initial stress of moving to a new home has worn off and he looks very comfortable. However, a part of me can’t shake the anxiety that I might be doing something wrong— although I am sure that I am not, given that I have followed precisely what every owner of a healthy, happy Russian tortoise has said works best for them. I want Bruno’s life with me to be a long and happy one, but I find myself worrying about him often, without any real reason to be so worried. Has anyone else experienced this sort of anxiety when getting a new tort, or something similar? Has anything helped you ease these feelings, or does it simply come with time? Thank you so much!
Welcome and congratulations on getting your little companion at last. Of course you are going to worry about his well-being, and you may find things you need to change over time, but he has got past the most difficult bit in someways, if he is already an adult, but you will almost certainly find someone on this forum to help, if you need it -I am sure you will both be fine. Best wishes from Angie (uk)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

It's perfectly natural to worry about caring for your tortoise, but so long as you're providing the proper:
  • temperature
  • food
  • light/UV
  • humidity
  • space
... he'll be fine. Tortoises are amazingly tough animals, especially Russians, and he'll thrive in your care.

Give it time, check your parameters occasionally to make sure you're still providing optimal conditions, ask questions when you've got them, and try to relax into the long-haul of tortoise care.

Jamie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There is a pervasive problem right now. People do "research" on the internet and they find the same wrong info repeated by dozens of sources. Then they find us and we say some stuff that is completely different than the multiple other sources they found. Who to believe? Ask us to explain the discrepancies and contradictions you find. Here is the correct care info for your species:

S2G

AL
Hello and welcome. There is a pervasive problem right now. People do "research" on the internet and they find the same wrong info repeated by dozens of sources. Then they find us and we say some stuff that is completely different than the multiple other sources they found. Who to believe? Ask us to explain the discrepancies and contradictions you find. Here is the correct care info for your species:

Follow this & you'll be good.

Cloud Atlas, North Carolina
Anxiety means you care. I fully expect to wake up every day to a dead turtle or find him on the verge of pushing up daisies from an illness. There is great knowledge and advice here, create a good environment and do your best. Congrats and may the odds be ever in your favor :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try to figure out a way to make a safe and secure outdoor pen for Bruno. Tortoises do much better when they live outside.

Swiechdawn

Sarasota
Ince you see them start to grow and stay healthy you will hopefully feel more confident.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
When I first got my Russian as a baby, I worried a lot. This forum helped me. I can't say enough about this forum. If you follow the advice given here your worries will fly out the window. The people here are filled with experience. Listen to them. My Russian is now 3 yrs old and I have confidence in what I do because of what I have learned here.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can you tell us in more detail about the enclosure, lighting, heating, etc with photos if possible?
Then those of us that best understand the needs of a Russian tortoise can verify that all is well and then possibly give you a few suggestions on how to tweak things so that it's perfect. (Assuming that it's not right now)
That should eventually make you feel better.

Maria T

London
Completely agree with you, this forum ans website is the best ever!! Helped me a lot, emotionally and gave me confidence ?
When I first got my Russian as a baby, I worried a lot. This forum helped me. I can't say enough about this forum. If you follow the advice given here your worries will fly out the window. The people here are filled with experience. Listen to them. My Russian is now 3 yrs old and I have confidence in what I do because of what I have learned here.