General question on care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

methos75

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
I have been thinking of getting a Pancake Tort for a while, and looking at their natural history, it seems that they occupy a niche i a slightly cooler, high attitude, lower humidity area than most African tortoises and instead of using humid hides prefer natural drier rock cervices. So knowing this, as far as their captive care goes do they require regular misting, soaking, and humidity as other African torts, or is their needs different? Also feel free to show of your enclosures, I need ideas LOL

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I tend to think of their requirements as a cross between Mediterranean tortoises and sulcata tortoises. They require basking temps preferred by Mediterranean tortoises and they require ambient temps of 85F like the sullies. They need a diet of 50/50 grass/hay and weeds/flowers/greens, half Mediterranean tortoise diet and half sulcata diet. They don't hibernate, but can tolerate cooler temps of up to 16C or so. They don't need misting, but should get a weekly soak. They don't drink too water, but of course this varies.

Here's a care sheet; http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Mtorniericare.htm

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would be interested to know if the hiding spots differ from hatch ling to adults, I know adult like to hide in rock crevices, but where do the babies hide? the same places? underground? remember baby ones don't exactly look like their parents there shells are a little more rounded.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
tortoises101 said:
I tend to think of their requirements as a cross between Mediterranean tortoises and sulcata tortoises. They require basking temps preferred by Mediterranean tortoises and they require ambient temps of 85F like the sullies. They need a diet of 50/50 grass/hay and weeds/flowers/greens, half Mediterranean tortoise diet and half sulcata diet. They don't hibernate, but can tolerate cooler temps of up to 16C or so. They don't need misting, but should get a weekly soak. They don't drink too much water, but of course this varies.

Here's a care sheet; http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Mtorniericare.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.