Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This "trick" is only for turtles and tortoises that aren't eating and have swollen shut eyes. It's not a cure-all, and unless you fix the reason why the eyes swelled shut in the first place, they're just going to swell shut again after the soaks.

Using a bowl with tall sides (so the animal can't climb out) but a small foot print (so you don't have to use a whole lot of the baby food) add about a half a jar of Gerber strained carrots.* The strained squash works too, but the carrots has the most vitamin A. Then add a half a jar of warm water. Place the bowl back into the enclosure, with the animal in the bowl, right at the edge of where the light hits the floor - NOT DIRECTLY UNDER THE LIGHT. This will keep it warm during the lengthy soak. Leave him in the soak for at least an hour, and longer won't hurt. But check on him often to make sure he's not getting into trouble.

I don't know the science behind the carrot soaks, but I know from years of personal experience, operating a turtle/tortoise rescue, and taking in many, many animals with swollen shut eyes, that it works. If you soak faithfully for an hour or so a day, at the end of three days his eyes will be open.

I've been told that the particles, vitamins, whatever, are too large to absorb through the skin. I've been told that turtles and tortoises don't "drink" through their cloaca. But years (and years) ago I read a paper on carrot soaks written by a well-known turtle/tortoise vet. He said in his paper that they absorb the nutrients (vitamin A) through the thin skin on the throat and around the cloaca. I've believed this for over 35 years. Like I said, I don't know the science behind it, but it works!

*If you're soaking a larger turtle/tortoise, you'll need to use a bigger bowl and more baby food than a half jar, but use 50/50% baby food/water, and you need the solution to come up to the middle of the animal's sides

Status
Not open for further replies.