Getting a red foot in 2 weeks

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

Location (City and/or State)
England,
This is the one I have. It’s a black heat bulb.
I got it in 100w. And control it using a dimming thermostat. Set to 30c.
so slight drop and the dimming thermostat kicks in.
I use a laser style thermometer/hydrometer to get a more accurate reading on temps and humidity so I can always make sure it’s correct.

Attachments

• 36F338B7-3DEB-4081-89F9-943C020A7544.png
    36F338B7-3DEB-4081-89F9-943C020A7544.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 3

Boneless

Florida
Thanks so much for all the info @Mystic_Queen! I think the bulb is called a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter), maybe? They emit heat but no light. :)

I'm still trying to learn about what I can feed my baby. I want to go to the local markets today to see who sells what, that way I know where to go when I'm looking to buy my babies' food. But I'd like a handy chart to print out to know what foods to feed. Does anyone have a chart for Red Foots?

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Thanks so much for all the info @Mystic_Queen! I think the bulb is called a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter), maybe? They emit heat but no light. :)

I'm still trying to learn about what I can feed my baby. I want to go to the local markets today to see who sells what, that way I know where to go when I'm looking to buy my babies' food. But I'd like a handy chart to print out to know what foods to feed. Does anyone have a chart for Red Foots?
There an app you can downloaded. It’s called. Tortoise table. It has plants on there listed from A to Z. Of what is safe. What isn’t. And what to feed sparingly etc etc.
they have a website too. But I prefer the app and it’s easier To navigate. You can click the safe to feed plants and save them To favourites.
the app picture is green background with a tortoise on it.
There is a “picture this” app too so if your not sure on a plant or what the name is you can snap a pic and it will tell you what it’s called then you can check on the tortoise table if it’s safe or not to feed your baby.
@Toddrickfl1 gave me the info about the Apps and i would be lost without them now.

Boneless

Florida
There an app you can downloaded. It’s called. Tortoise table. It has plants on there listed from A to Z. Of what is safe. What isn’t. And what to feed sparingly etc etc.
they have a website too. But I prefer the app and it’s easier To navigate. You can click the safe to feed plants and save them To favourites.
the app picture is green background with a tortoise on it.
There is a “picture this” app too so if your not sure on a plant or what the name is you can snap a pic and it will tell you what it’s called then you can check on the tortoise table if it’s safe or not to feed your baby.
@Toddrickfl1 gave me the info about the Apps and i would be lost without them now.

I remember that! Is all the foods listed safe for red foots though?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So for food, Weeds and Leafy Greens. Which is great, my Beardie eats Leafy Greens - however, what "weeds" should I be feeding? My baby will be 2 weeks and a few days old when I get him or her.
Keep in mind that the tortoise table isn't really geared toward Redfoots too. Greens, fruits, vegetables, protein, Redfoots can eat a lot of things other tortoises can't. Here's some of the things I feed mine. This should give you a good starting point.
For greens I feed Dandelion greens and flowers, mustard, turnip, bok choy, kale, romaine, escarole, endive, red and green cabbage, plantain weed, clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers, arugula, radicchio, raspberry leaf, mulberry leaf, Moringa leaf, echinacea leaf.

Veggies I feed include, squash, carrots, sweet potato, mushrooms, pumpkin, green and red pepper, cucumber, Opuntia cactus

Fruits I feed include, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, mango, banana, apricot, papaya, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pear, peach

For protein I use Earthworms, crickets, Tuna, chicken, shrimp, sardines, scrambled eggs (with the Shell) low-fat cat food and sometimes moistened aquatic turtle food. I do protein about once a week.

I also feed either Mazuri Tortoise chow or Zoomed forest Tortoise a couple times a week.

There's probably more I don't remember at the moment. The key is variety. Feed something different each day and try to offer more than one item daily.

Boneless

Florida
Keep in mind that the tortoise table isn't really geared toward Redfoots too. Greens, fruits, vegetables, protein, Redfoots can eat a lot of things other tortoises can't. Here's some of the things I feed mine. This should give you a good starting point.
For greens I feed Dandelion greens and flowers, mustard, turnip, bok choy, kale, romaine, escarole, endive, red and green cabbage, plantain weed, clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers, arugula, radicchio, raspberry leaf, mulberry leaf, Moringa leaf, echinacea leaf.

Veggies I feed include, squash, carrots, sweet potato, mushrooms, pumpkin, green and red pepper, cucumber, Opuntia cactus

Fruits I feed include, strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, mango, banana, apricot, papaya, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pear, peach

For protein I use Earthworms, crickets, Tuna, chicken, shrimp, sardines, scrambled eggs (with the Shell) low-fat cat food and sometimes moistened aquatic turtle food. I do protein about once a week.

I also feed either Mazuri Tortoise chow or Zoomed forest Tortoise a couple times a week.

There's probably more I don't remember at the moment. The key is variety. Feed something different each day and try to offer more than one item daily.

Awesome, thanks so much for all the information! I appreciate it a lot :)

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No problem, questions are always welcome. The main things you want to focus on are heat, humidity, and diet. I call it the 80/80 rule. You want your temp in the mid 80s and humidity at least 80% or higher.

Boneless

Florida
No problem, questions are always welcome. The main things you want to focus on are heat, humidity, and diet. I call it the 80/80 rule. You want your temp in the mid 80s and humidity at least 80% or higher.

Awesome. I'm going out today to get some stuff I need so I can set the tank up and make sure I can keep those temps and the humidity. Just got to find a electronic temp/humidity gauge :D

What is the best substrate? I read coco coir, is that the same as a coco block?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Awesome. I'm going out today to get some stuff I need so I can set the tank up and make sure I can keep those temps and the humidity. Just got to find a electronic temp/humidity gauge :D

What is the best substrate? I read coco coir, is that the same as a coco block?
Coco coir is real messy. I prefer Cypress mulch or Orchid bark. Your can get both in a big cheap bag at home Depot. Tanks aren't the best but they can work for young torts with a little modification. Your best bet would be to build a lid to hold in humidity. I used wood and glued foam board to the bottom to protect it. It's a lot easier with a radiant heat panel because all your have to do is screw it into the lid. If you use a CHE you'll have to cut a hole in the lid.IMG_20200801_100612532.jpgIMG_20200801_100633069.jpg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The RHP is sweet- I have one in a an indoor enclosure and it sips electricity and is so consistent with maintaing the temps. I recommend setting up your enclousre and getting it dialed in prior to getting your tort. Much safer totry out temps, humidity and lights on plants first. Welcome and don't forget to add photos

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just meant those were like the main thing from what I saw :)

I love in Tampa, so probably nowhere bear you, but I have a lot of extra lights from my beardies (tube UVB, CHE) so I should be okay thank you!
I have a suspiciously difficult time giving stuff away.
Yes. Tampa is an 8 hour drive.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Haha sorry about that!
I have a lot of old T8 lamps that would only be effective in a closed chamber and for a Redfoot because their UV transmission is pretty weak.
I don't raise babies anymore and none of my RF live indoors.
I've stepped up to T5 lamps for my 3 Chameleons. They have a much higher UV requirement.

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
Hi all! I'm getting a red foot in 2 weeks from a breeder here in Florida and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before then.

Does anyone know any good books about Redfoot care I can buy?

Attachments

• D1BFD3EE-51F9-47F8-86B3-3D7227959D13.jpeg
    D1BFD3EE-51F9-47F8-86B3-3D7227959D13.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 9

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
Hi all! I'm getting a red foot in 2 weeks from a breeder here in Florida and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before then.

Does anyone know any good books about Redfoot care I can buy?

Attachments

• 989DFA98-E89B-49E3-A1A4-586CEA9E1199.jpeg
    989DFA98-E89B-49E3-A1A4-586CEA9E1199.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 8

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

Ask your breeder what they are feeding them;)?