Getting a sulcata tortoise, how much should I feed them?

becal23

Location (City and/or State)
london
I've done lots of research with varying answers, I know what I should feed it but not the specific quantities. Basically I think I should be giving constant access to bermuda or timothy hay and then give a certain amount of possibly mazuri, dandelion, cactus, arugula, parsley, endive etc. So far the most conclusive diet I've found is about 5% of their body weight daily. Say for a 4 year old tortoise how much of mazuri and vegetables should I give?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've done lots of research with varying answers, I know what I should feed it but not the specific quantities. Basically I think I should be giving constant access to bermuda or timothy hay and then give a certain amount of possibly mazuri, dandelion, cactus, arugula, parsley, endive etc. So far the most conclusive diet I've found is about 5% of their body weight daily. Say for a 4 year old tortoise how much of mazuri and vegetables should I give?
Almost all of the info you find on tortoise care is the old wrong info. Best if you disregard most of it. Pet shops, vets, books, YT, FB... all wrong.

Your tortoise should be allowed to eat as much as it wants of the right foods every day. Hay is for large juveniles and adult. I don't even begin to introduce hay until they are 12+ inches. Real grass is better when you can get it, but not sod. Pasture grass or wild grass.

More here: