Getting a tortoise and could use all the advice I could get.

Kellie Beggs

Hi my name is Kellie and I'm new to this forum. We are about to add a little Hermann tortoise to our family and I have some questions. I have bought a book and have been researching non stop on the internet but there are a few things I'm still unsure of. I live in Ireland where the weather isn't great so we plan on keeping Shelly inside using a tortoise table to house her. We also plan on buying a rabbit run to take her out to the garden supervised for a few hours whenever we get days sunny enough for her. We are in the process of building a tortoise table and are going on Saturday to visit the tortoises and buy a heat lamp and the rest of the stuff for inside the enclosure.
The first question I have is we have 3 indoor cats that's never go outside. 2 rag dolls and a rescue. Does anyone know how cats react around tortoise. The tortoise will be kept in my daughters bedroom and as she has eczema it's the only room in the house the cats aren't allowed in and the door always kept shut to keep the cat hair out but I'm sure at soon stage they will run in. Should I be overly worried about them meeting.
The second thing which I can't seem to find one answer for is do I hibernate my hermann tortoise. I'm nervous about doing this. Is it better for them to hibernate. I am finding people giving advice for both and am a bit confused about this.
The last thing is food. I realise I am not to give fruit. I have dandelions in the garden and of course all the veg a supermarket can offer. I think I'll be able to find clover too but all the other names of weeds I've read I've never even heard of. Can I also give grass from the garden. I'm going to buy cuttlefish and a food substitute to sprinkle over their salad. Is this enough.
We are all very very excited to get Shelly and want to make sure she is happy and we do everything correctly. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards
Kellie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome.
Dogs and tortoises don't mix. But I think that cats and tortoises should not create too much of an issue.
As for feeding and housing requirements, make sure to read our species specific pages on Hermans.

Kellie Beggs

I will thank you Zeropilot. Here are some photos that have been sent from the tortoise seller. Can you tell from the photos if they look healthy. I am going to see them on Saturday. IMG_9526.PNGIMG_9525.PNG

AmberD

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Welcome Kellie.
We have 2 dogs and 3 cats. The dogs are actually better with the tortoise as they know the command "leave it". Cats however as I'm sure you know are more independent then listening to cues. I would not trust my cats left alone with my tortoise, nor my dogs.
Maybe supervise them in the room (one other than your daughters as they can't go in there) to see how yours react? Then that will give you a better mindset on how your cats will be. All dogs and cats are different, maybe yours will be ok! :)
Good luck!
I have a red foot so not familiar with Hermanns. They look adorable though!
Congrats on the addition to the family!