Getting african grey parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
So.... Recently i want a parrot and i like one who can talk and deligent. I am thinking of cockatoo, but after doing some research, i ended up want an african grey.

I am doing research and i would like to hear from beloved member here that own both tortoise and parrot especially african grey.

(i own cockatoos and dogs and lots other animals before when i was a child, but i am too little to give them proper care, so it is my parent taking the responsibility. I am not new with all this but sure from this time every animals that i want will be fully committed to me (different when i was a child).)

I love dogs. I am not thinking of having one because the responsibility of owning one is way too high for me now. How about parrot. I would like to hear suggestions.

@Tom i know you are one of members here that own a lot of animal. Need your opinion too.

legan52

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
We have one and he's great overall. He's super smart and knows tons of sounds. Sometimes in a bad way. He meows like the cat and does a ridiculous dog impression. He can even do that pitiful whimper bark. He knows probably 50 words/phrases as well. He does my husbands ringtone then answers it like he would.

Upkeep isn't horrible, we should clean the cage 2-3x a week but it's usually once a week. In the summer expect fruit flies unless you stay on top of it.

Our bird is still very young so he can be moody, and he really only likes my husband. He tolerates me but he gets depressed if my husband is out of town for too long. They need to be kept in a main living area so they are around people a lot. Reinforce every part of the cage that can open. Ours has undone bolts and unscrewed doors to escape. Note excessive methods used in attached pic. Necessary though. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477149582.161749.jpg

Happy to answer any other questions!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477149514.456474.jpg

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I laugh so hard looking at that cage door lol. Yes i am concern about how much amount of time i need to give to african grey. I don't really have time. I don't want to abandon any pets. Tortoise is easy. They don't really miss me, they just want food. I don't really have time to interact with pets that need interactions. But i really want an african. Do african stress if i don't interact with them?

@legan52 how can you say the african is depressed?

Rue

Canada
I also have one. We 'rescued' her when she was around 3 years old (and she is 12 years old now) She had started plucking then. She still plucks, no matter what I have tried. Once they start, they often will not stop. The trick is to keep them from starting in the first place. And to do that, you need to make sure they have a great deal of activities to engage in. In that regard, they require quite a bit of daily, on-going work. They can also live to be 50-70 years old, so you have to be prepared to entertain them for up to 70 years!

They are a 'neurotic' species of parrot (which is, in part, why they pluck). They attach themselves to one person moreso than other species. Mine prefers my husband, who is not interested in her (he's not mean to her, he just doesn't want to engage with her). She likes me too, but not as much. I think this is part of her 'stress'. She is also somewhat unpredictable and will bite - hard. She can go from cuddling to attack mode in the blink of an eye. I have come to read her body language quite well, but she still surprises me on occasion.

Not all African Greys will talk. Some just don't want to. So getting a young bird that hasn't starting talking yet - well, you won't know if they are going to talk or not. The only way to 'guarantee' that your bird will talk, is to buy one that has already started talking. They will also decide what they want to say, not what you want them to say. They will pick up on any sounds, words, phrases they find interesting. You do have to be careful what you say around them. Having a swearing, potty-mouthed parrot is unpleasant.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
@Rue yes i know they live long that is why i need to think of it seriously whether i will get one or not.

How can you know if they like your husband more than others? And are there any behaviors of your husband towards the parrot that make the parrot like your husband better?

Oh this some talk some not talk things is new for me. Thank you for the advice.

Rue

Canada
@Rue yes i know they live long that is why i need to think of it seriously whether i will get one or not.

How can you know if they like your husband more than others? And are there any behaviors of your husband towards the parrot that make the parrot like your husband better?

Oh this some talk some not talk things is new for me. Thank you for the advice.

They can be very affectionate. If my husband and I are both engaging with her, she will cuddle and coo with him - but scream and bite me.

If he is away (not in the house), she will cuddle and coo with me.

He is away with work a lot, and when he is home he mostly ignores her, so I don't think he is presenting behaviours that she prefers.

She can also be also unpredictable with him. She will bite him too if she goes (what I call) cuckoo. That certainly doesn't make him want to play with her more either.

She is okay with my youngest son, but absolutely hates my daughter. She tolerates my oldest son, but he ignores her too. Family dynamics are so complicated!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Parrots in the wild bond to their mate and stay together for life. Not to mention having the rest of the flock around. They are never alone.
Then in captivity we want them to sit pretty in a cage and accept occasional interaction, when it's convenient for us. It won't work that way. You'll go nuts and so will the poor bird.

You can either:
-have a pair of birds that are bonded to each other and make it your job to provide them with a large, beautiful, natural habitat so you can simply have the pleasure of watching them (similar to keeping/observing tortoises).

-or have a single parrot that becomes your mate. Take it everywhere, never leave it's side, stay home..alot. And forget a social life that doesn't include your new partner. Better marry someone that feels the same, too. Or you'll have to choose.

I've had my own macaws (noticed I said had) and worked at a facility where we trained many macaws, cockatoos and greys. These birds had a full time staff dedicated to them.

I loved being involved with birds and miss it dearly. My husband already knows that when he dies, I'm getting my macaw back..lol. But I'm serious, it's a full time gig. You need to know that going into it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I love parrots. Been working with them professionally since the mid 80's. I was the dumb kid that got to tame down all the wild caught imports in the pet store so we could sell them. Boy did I learn the hard way!

I've raised a few grays and worked with several. They are a bit quirky. They can be nice, but they can also have weird moments of "flash" aggression out of nowhere. One of my hand raised babies put a hole through the skin under my lip one day when it was a couple years old for no apparent reason. That was the bird that taught me to stop kissing parrots and keep them away from my face.

The vocabulary and noise making ability of the gray is pretty neat, but their personalities are not my favorite. I like the cockatoos, but they can be neurotic teddy bears. Amazons are nice, but have a tendency to like one person and hate everyone else. Macaws are great, but that screaming...

All things considered, I think my favorite parrot species is the Jardine's Parrot. Poicephalus genus from Africa. Great little birds. Clownish, gregarious with everyone, seldom bite anyone for any reason, easy keepers, they make noises, but not obnoxious noises and not too loud either. Caiques have really great personalities too.

As far as time requirements, I think dogs and parrots are pretty similar. I work with both in a professional capacity every day. My views might be skewed by this fact, vs. the typical pet owner. Both are highly social and intelligent. Both need to be part of a group, either "flock" or "pack". Both need a good leader and need training and guidance from their people.

Here is one more thing. I can only call it anecdotal, but I have yet to find a singe exception, and I ask everybody. Birds that pluck, without exception so far, all had their wings clipped when they were fledging and before they learned to fly. So when you go to buy a bird, make sure it learned to fly when it was a baby before the wings were clipped. Its fine to clip the wings later in life, but fledgelings need to fly first.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
They can be very affectionate. If my husband and I are both engaging with her, she will cuddle and coo with him - but scream and bite me.

If he is away (not in the house), she will cuddle and coo with me.

He is away with work a lot, and when he is home he mostly ignores her, so I don't think he is presenting behaviours that she prefers.

She can also be also unpredictable with him. She will bite him too if she goes (what I call) cuckoo. That certainly doesn't make him want to play with her more either.

She is okay with my youngest son, but absolutely hates my daughter. She tolerates my oldest son, but he ignores her too. Family dynamics are so complicated!
Hmmm.. Quite unpredictable.

Parrots in the wild bond to their mate and stay together for life. Not to mention having the rest of the flock around. They are never alone.
Then in captivity we want them to sit pretty in a cage and accept occasional interaction, when it's convenient for us. It won't work that way. You'll go nuts and so will the poor bird.

You can either:
-have a pair of birds that are bonded to each other and make it your job to provide them with a large, beautiful, natural habitat so you can simply have the pleasure of watching them (similar to keeping/observing tortoises).

-or have a single parrot that becomes your mate. Take it everywhere, never leave it's side, stay home..alot. And forget a social life that doesn't include your new partner. Better marry someone that feels the same, too. Or you'll have to choose.

I've had my own macaws (noticed I said had) and worked at a facility where we trained many macaws, cockatoos and greys. These birds had a full time staff dedicated to them.

I loved being involved with birds and miss it dearly. My husband already knows that when he dies, I'm getting my macaw back..lol. But I'm serious, it's a full time gig. You need to know that going into it.
Helps me a lot.

I love parrots. Been working with them professionally since the mid 80's. I was the dumb kid that got to tame down all the wild caught imports in the pet store so we could sell them. Boy did I learn the hard way!

I've raised a few grays and worked with several. They are a bit quirky. They can be nice, but they can also have weird moments of "flash" aggression out of nowhere. One of my hand raised babies put a hole through the skin under my lip one day when it was a couple years old for no apparent reason. That was the bird that taught me to stop kissing parrots and keep them away from my face.

The vocabulary and noise making ability of the gray is pretty neat, but their personalities are not my favorite. I like the cockatoos, but they can be neurotic teddy bears. Amazons are nice, but have a tendency to like one person and hate everyone else. Macaws are great, but that screaming...

All things considered, I think my favorite parrot species is the Jardine's Parrot. Poicephalus genus from Africa. Great little birds. Clownish, gregarious with everyone, seldom bite anyone for any reason, easy keepers, they make noises, but not obnoxious noises and not too loud either. Caiques have really great personalities too.

As far as time requirements, I think dogs and parrots are pretty similar. I work with both in a professional capacity every day. My views might be skewed by this fact, vs. the typical pet owner. Both are highly social and intelligent. Both need to be part of a group, either "flock" or "pack". Both need a good leader and need training and guidance from their people.

Here is one more thing. I can only call it anecdotal, but I have yet to find a singe exception, and I ask everybody. Birds that pluck, without exception so far, all had their wings clipped when they were fledging and before they learned to fly. So when you go to buy a bird, make sure it learned to fly when it was a baby before the wings were clipped. Its fine to clip the wings later in life, but fledgelings need to fly first.
Man your answer is always satisfying. So thorough, that pluck things, you always do research towards a mystery, but i have questions. Can you collaborate more on cockatoo neurotic teddy bear behaviour. And how about macaw except his screaming? The taming and all.
Let's say grey sometimes have unpredictable personality, how about cockatoos and macaw, they do it like that too? I own several cockatoos but as a child and i am not really learn their behavior. I will definitely check on the other parrots you mention but i am still no familiar with them.

All and all, my decision is i am not getting one NOW. I am sure will be getting one in the future when i can dedicated my time for the parrot. And now i think not one parrot. And from now on i am gathering all info i need about them.

Ah yes, one more thing. They poop and pee whenever wherever they want? Nothing we can do about it?

legan52

Chicago
When I say our bird got depressed, I mean that he wasn't as chatty and didn't eat very well. He'd stubbornly throw his food on the ground instead of eating, even if it was his favorites. He's growing much more accustomed to me now that I quit my job to stay home with the baby, but I don't think he has the same affection. He will let me scratch his head, and if he's flying away from my husband (he hates going back in the cage), he will land on my arm. He used to sit on my husbands shoulder every morning to walk to the fridge for his food, and sometimes it would turn into a huge ordeal of him flying from my arm to the cage back and forth because he knew my husband would put him back. He's very very smart. I'm more cautious with him because he intimidates me. I know he's capable of snapping pretty hard so I'm always a bit worried.

Overall, we do love him. It's my husbands pet from before dating, and he got it as a hand fed baby. We have 50+ years of care to look forward to. It's a challenge and they can be quirky but fun companions. They can also be annoying if you want quiet or to listen to a movie with no background noise. And who knows what words it will learn. They pick up the most interesting things!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The macaws have a loud, no, a very loud scream. Usually twice a day plus any additional excited periods. I'm a bit hard of hearing, so that aspect of macaw ownership didn't bother me much :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man your answer is always satisfying. So thorough, that pluck things, you always do research towards a mystery, but i have questions. Can you collaborate more on cockatoo neurotic teddy bear behaviour. And how about macaw except his screaming? The taming and all.
Let's say grey sometimes have unpredictable personality, how about cockatoos and macaw, they do it like that too? I own several cockatoos but as a child and i am not really learn their behavior. I will definitely check on the other parrots you mention but i am still no familiar with them.

All and all, my decision is i am not getting one NOW. I am sure will be getting one in the future when i can dedicated my time for the parrot. And now i think not one parrot. And from now on i am gathering all info i need about them.

Ah yes, one more thing. They poop and pee whenever wherever they want? Nothing we can do about it?

Some broad generalities:

The cockatoos can be super affectionate and love petting, but they can also throw little temper tantrums and have moments of explosive energy and excitedness. You can usually cuddle them and rub them under their wings and they are just great. But look out if one of "those" moods comes on. Just get out of the way.

Macaws are great. Each species has little behavioral generalities. They Hyacynths are super intelligent and thoughtful. Almost human like. They are my favorite. The scarlets can be very much like an amazon in that they only like one person and get aggressive with everyone else. The green wings make the best pets in my experience. They tend to be more even tempered, less angry, quieter, and just more "agreeable" in general. Blue and golds are sort of an in-between happy medium to all of the above. If raised, socialized and handled correctly they can be really good birds and not too aggressive with people. If raised incorrectly they can be pretty nasty.

They can be potty trained to some degree. They always make a big poopy before they fly, so if they know I'm going to fly them, I pull them out and immediately hold them over a trash can and say "go potty". They usually do, and then I'm good for a while. I've had several birds that would learn to hold it until I put them over a trash can and then they'd let loose. I had one bird that would tell me "go potty" when it was out with me and needed to go. Most of the time though, they just go whenever and wherever they feel like it. I have tile floors and I keep Lysol wipes all over the house. I have anywhere from three to six birds at my house at any given time.

I find the trend nowadays is to cookie the birds and use only positive reinforcement. This might initially appeal to the emotions of some people, but in the end it can led to serious trouble. Parrots need a leader and a boss first and foremost. I'm not saying to be mean to them, I'm saying be their boss first and their friend second. Use "cookies" and treat for training and rewarding good behavior, but if the parrot doesn't respect their person and their person's authority, they are generally not going to be a happy bird and all sorts of problems can ensue. Parrots are happiest when they have a strong confident leader and everyone knows who that leader is. They are usually very content to take a back seat, but if you don't get in the driver's seat and stay there, they will.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
@legan52 oh it sounds like having a never grown up baby around.

@Team Gomberg i should watch video on youtube how they scream. It is such a joy everybody have experience with parrots and jump right in to share.

@Tom it do sounds like having dogs.
Where can i find a lot a lot of article for parrot? Are there any outdated care and info outside like tortoise debate or everything is the same? I don't want end up believing wrong information.
Thank you tom. You really are helpful as always.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I honestly don't know where to find info anymore. Most of what I read anymore is from "cookie" trainers. Positive reinforcement training is great and it works, but there is just more to it than that with a potentially aggressive, intelligent, highly social animal. Cookies and treats work great as long as the person is the top "bird" in the hierarchy. This status can be achieved many ways, and every parrot and situation is different. The most successful trainers who espouse the "positive reinforcement only" techniques are also masters at subtly gaining the upper hand in the dominance hierarchy. I find that most of them don't even know they are doing it. I get called in to help their "disciples" who don't have their master's ability to quietly assert dominance. In short: The best way I explain to other trainers to handle their parrots is to treat them like an old world monkey. Do that and you'll have a happy parrot and a great relationship. You know how to handle old world monkeys, right @Fredkas ??? :p

I think most will agree that a pelleted diets as a base, supplemented with a wide variety of seeds and nuts, fruits, vegetables, and pastas is a good way to go. I give my birds a little of whatever I'm eating with the exception of meats, dairy, fried foods and sugary treats, of which I eat a lot… :)

I suppose the wing clipping thing is controversial. There is no doubt that allowing them to fly in a safe way has benefit, but it also has risk. Whether the risk outweighs the benefit is an individual decision. I don't fault people who see it differently than I do, but I also have experience flying birds in crazy situations that most pet birds will never see. In my business we have four main types of birds we fly: Raptors, corvids, pigeons and parrots. Each of these four groups has its own little quirks and subtleties. I love working with all four types and have been lucky to work with a few oddballs that don't fit these stereotypical parameters too, like Turacos, vultures, and several smaller passerines like canaries, starlings, etc...

Rue

Canada
Everything is controversial! Just somethings more so than others. I have seen many people doing everything 'wrong' (with a lot of pet care, and other endeavors) and ending up with a great situation, and I have seen people do everything 'right' and end up with issues. I'm sure there are a host of reasons for every success or failure, but they are not necessarily obvious.

I agree that pellets are the way to go (and please, not the coloured pellets - all they do is add unnecessary chemicals to the diet and you end up with poop stains that don't clean up easily!). Mine get fresh nut mix once a week (in a separate bowl) - and I leave that in the cage until they pick through it all, otherwise they only eat their favourites and toss the rest on the floor. If I leave it in the cage, they will eat most of it over the course of a few days - more variety in their diet that way. I also supplement with whatever appropriate foods we are eating during the day. My parrots (I have 5 in total, including my daughter's 12 year old budgie and my son's 11 year old cockatiel) also get a little bit of junk food - and I mean a little bit. A bit of pizza crust if we're having pizza, a bit of a pretzel...it just adds fun to their day. However, I don't give them anything sugared (so no donuts or cookies or cake).

I clip wings with new birds, so they can't fly while they are getting used to their new home. They are more dependent on me that way, and I build trust during that 'training' period. Then I let the wing feathers grow back. I think they are healthier if they can fly (both mentally and physically) - but then you need safeguards in place so they can't hurt themselves or fly out an open door/window. Having said that, my Amazon - has no desire to fly. She prefers taxi service. My African Grey has plucked herself and currently can't fly, so she's grounded herself. If you do clip, never do a severe clip, they need enough feathers left in place so they can at least glide down to the floor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything is controversial! Just somethings more so than others. I have seen many people doing everything 'wrong' (with a lot of pet care, and other endeavors) and ending up with a great situation, and I have seen people do everything 'right' and end up with issues. I'm sure there are a host of reasons for every success or failure, but they are not necessarily obvious.

I agree that pellets are the way to go (and please, not the coloured pellets - all they do is add unnecessary chemicals to the diet and you end up with poop stains that don't clean up easily!). Mine get fresh nut mix once a week (in a separate bowl) - and I leave that in the cage until they pick through it all, otherwise they only eat their favourites and toss the rest on the floor. If I leave it in the cage, they will eat most of it over the course of a few days - more variety in their diet that way. I also supplement with whatever appropriate foods we are eating during the day. My parrots (I have 5 in total, including my daughter's 12 year old budgie and my son's 11 year old cockatiel) also get a little bit of junk food - and I mean a little bit. A bit of pizza crust if we're having pizza, a bit of a pretzel...it just adds fun to their day. However, I don't give them anything sugared (so no donuts or cookies or cake).

I clip wings with new birds, so they can't fly while they are getting used to their new home. They are more dependent on me that way, and I build trust during that 'training' period. Then I let the wing feathers grow back. I think they are healthier if they can fly (both mentally and physically) - but then you need safeguards in place so they can't hurt themselves or fly out an open door/window. Having said that, my Amazon - has no desire to fly. She prefers taxi service. My African Grey has plucked herself and currently can't fly, so she's grounded herself. If you do clip, never do a severe clip, they need enough feathers left in place so they can at least glide down to the floor.

Funny. I give them pizza crust too, but I never considered that "junk" food. :)

I agree with the initial wing clipping technique for a new bird. I used to do that with all the WC birds back in the old days. They instantly became a lot nicer when I took their flight away. But I never do this for babies. I like a weanling to fly for at least a few months before I'll clip. Of course with a baby that you just finished had-feeding, aggression issues are not common.

I've also worked with a few amazons that didn't want to fly, and that is very common with the macaws. I've had macaws that thought they were going to die when cast off of a hand. They had no idea what those appendages to the sides of their bodies were for. I find a tremendous sense of satisfaction in teaching a formerly cage-bound bird that it can fly.

So that's my question to you: Do you clip freshly weaned young birds, or are you talking about older birds that come into your care?

And also: I think I asked before, but do you know if your gray was clipped as a baby before it learned to fly?

Rue

Canada
I have not clipped any freshly weaned young birds myself. However, our white-capped pionus (from a breeder) and the budgie (from the bulk-budgie bin at the pet store) were clipped when we got them. Both learned to fly after their feathers grew back in. The cockatiel (hand-reared, but from the pet store too) was not clipped.

The Amazon came to us as a 13-year old bird. Her wings were clipped before we got her. She actually can fly if she really wants to - but it's sorta like watching the Hindenburg. The Grey was 3 years old and I have little idea of her previous history - other than she was relegated to the laundry room with little or no positive interaction. That's when she started to pluck. She was able to fly when we got her, but she can't fly at the moment. She does let her feathers grow back in once in a while...and I get hopeful. Then she has a bad day...and we're back to naked chicken couture.

Status
Not open for further replies.