getting new baby stars on tues - so excited! need set up advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
hi all! i'm new to star tortoises (but have thriving boxies, pancakes and russians) and am looking for expert knowledge on the best way to keep baby stars indoors.

i've found some stellar advice via the world chelonian trust site but would love to hear from star keepers who have raised these guys from babies.

thank you much! sean

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well when stars hatch out they do so during the rainy season. So you need to take into consideration the humidity level. Hydration is a good key element in young tortoises. But one thing to consider is which species it is. Russians and Pancakes are more low to medium required humidity. I would keep your enclosure in the 60-70% range of humidity but the substrate dry. Repti-foggers and ultrasonic humidifers are a good thing to use. They need grasses, cactus, weeds, and greens. Try to stay away from fruits and colorful items. Stars can picky if they find a certain treat that is too staple, and not so beneficial to their natural dietary needs.

Temps your going to want a spot in upper 90's to 100 for basking.
Cool side mid 80s

Substrate is always well to use cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, eucalyptus mulch, or orchid bark in one half portion mixed with coco coir.

A good hide is needed as they like to hide like any other tortoise would.

and of course like all other tortoises make sure your supplement and mineral is on point with food consumption 2-3 times a week.

Soaks can be done once a day to twice daily. These guys are a lot easier than you would think. Good luck and congrats on the star.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
Greatly appreciated and easy to follow! :tort::)

tortadise said:
Well when stars hatch out they do so during the rainy season. So you need to take into consideration the humidity level. Hydration is a good key element in young tortoises. But one thing to consider is which species it is. Russians and Pancakes are more low to medium required humidity. I would keep your enclosure in the 60-70% range of humidity but the substrate dry. Repti-foggers and ultrasonic humidifers are a good thing to use. They need grasses, cactus, weeds, and greens. Try to stay away from fruits and colorful items. Stars can picky if they find a certain treat that is too staple, and not so beneficial to their natural dietary needs.

Temps your going to want a spot in upper 90's to 100 for basking.
Cool side mid 80s

Substrate is always well to use cypress mulch, hardwood mulch, eucalyptus mulch, or orchid bark in one half portion mixed with coco coir.

A good hide is needed as they like to hide like any other tortoise would.

and of course like all other tortoises make sure your supplement and mineral is on point with food consumption 2-3 times a week.

Soaks can be done once a day to twice daily. These guys are a lot easier than you would think. Good luck and congrats on the star.

patilraosaheb

5 Year Member
There are few experts, however you will get very nice support from these members. I am like you and just getting help to grow my little star.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
Thanks so much CL! :tort::D

Thanks so much! Am nervous but all of this info is helpful!! :) Hope yours grow up beautifully! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.