Getting ready for spring feeding; are you doing anything?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
I am confident our Russian is going to come out like a bulldozer from hibernation; Beginning in December I “planted” some seeds in the yard, hoping they’ll distract her from our permanent plants, at least for a while. I put “planted” in quotes because I mostly just threw seeds down on the ground.

I gathered and dried quite a few weed seeds last year, mallow and some of the dandelion relatives: prickly and smooth sow thistles and bristly ox-tongue. I found one tiny yellow flower that also looks to be in the aster family. I’ve not seen it before but took a chance. If any grow, I’ll ID them before we wake Addy up to be sure they are safe.

I dug the mallow seeds down a tiny bit; the dandelion relatives need light to germinate so I basically just tossed them out into the yard.

I used some seeds from my never ending bag of testudo seed mix from Carolina Tortoise Supply. This is a great mix but I haven’t have much success with it in planters. There are tons of seeds so I heave out quite a bit.

I had purchased this set of seed packets last year: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NR9PW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. It’s another one I didn’t have much luck with in planters. I tossed the last of them out.

There were also poppy seeds I’d picked up at our local Persian market. Poppies are a clear do not feed in the
Tortoise Table but Russians do eat a little of them in their native habitat so I’m willing to try it. These seeds are meant for cooking; I’m not sure if they’ll sprout. At $1.50 for a large bag I don’t much care; I toss them everywhere.

We’ve had so little rain here not much has sprouted. :( A few of the sow thistles and some nice looking dandelions are growing. I threw out a second batch of seeds after a recent but light storm. Even if they start growing now they won’t be very large when she comes out. Still worth a try. If nothing else we’ll have some happy birds and mice eating ungerminated seeds :)

Bambam1989

East Texas
I've been preparing areas in the flower bed for some new Snapdragon seeds and started some nasturtium seeds in a pot today.[emoji16] I've got garden fever yet I have a feeling we will get at least one more freeze before spring.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We still have too much too much winter and probably snow left to think about planting. We've had a pretty mild winter so far though and not much snow. All my weed seeds have bee planted the last two summers so I should be good anyway. Just hoping my cold hardy cactus will survive their first winter outside.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Have a couple plans in the mix. I'm going to plant more brumuda sod in hugos enclosure, mulberry tree going in the ground to shade and give food, more mulch and maybe a new water hole. And of course more grass seed mix.

Also this year I'm dedicating my 3 sunken garden beds to hugos food. It's first year last year did good in growing tomatoes, Chile, zuchinni, cucumber, carrots, jalapeños, and watermelon. Already planted rose bushes planted and some optuna. Going to do pumpkin, leafy greens in the spring, turnip, squash, possibly sweet potato vines?? I think they are ok to feed Hugo? Some other good vines or food to grow in his new garden? He won't be going into the garden fyi.