getting ready for sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpeff

5 Year Member
I built 2 pens one indoor and one outside the indoor one is 3ftx5ft x12in high
outdoor pen is 8x16ft and 1foot under ground and 2 foot about ground with wire top and heated house that is 4foot x4 foot
and when they get bigger I have a room in house that is 13x12 for them that I will make 2 levels
ive already started all the plants and grass that they eat I got a heated green house that I grow stuff all year in
does it sound like I got everything for there housing i got light and heat emiters

I want 2 babies sulcata just don't know where is a good place to get them yet wanted to make sure pens are big eough first thanks

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Why not just let the sulcata roam the floor of the green house if it stays suitably warm year-'round?

jpeff

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
Why not just let the sulcata roam the floor of the green house if it stays suitably warm year-'round?

I keep it heated it stays about 70 so if I put a few hot spots for winter think it would work and the green house is 8x 12 its next to the pen I built they sell a vent for the green house I could just make the vent into a door

jpeff

5 Year Member
just got a sulcata my on and off ex got it from florida herps it just got here about 20 mins ago now I just need 2 more

Attachments

• picture001.jpg
    picture001.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to give it a nice warm soak for 20-30 minutes right away. The red light, should be replaced with either a mercury vapor bulb, fluorescent tube bulb or a regular house bulb. Tortoises tend to like the color red and will try to eat most things that are red. Have you check out Toms threads below in my post. Please read. They will help to grow a healthy, smooth sully. It's hard to tell, but your looks to already have some pyramiding going on. Get temps and humidity right and he can start to grow new growth in smooth.
Congrats on the new shelled family member.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not use colored bulbs for them. It makes things look "funny" to them and can sometimes cause problems. I like daylight bulbs during the day, and darkness, but still warm, so CHEs at night.

jpeff

5 Year Member
can I use heat emitter bulbs and I got mercury vapor bulb on his house and I put red heat bulb cause it says around 68 in the house I raise English bull dogs and if its not cool in the house they drool everywhere still got 2 pups for sale $2500 each

jpeff

5 Year Member
his indoor box is 3x 4.5 foot can u tell me the band and type of light I should use I soaked him all ready for about 20 min he or she is already eating and im not sure but I placed 2 16 inch and a few 3 inch pots with food I grew for him in there to but do I still have to feed him anything else
he seems to just walk around and take a few bites and moves on to next pot

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
If you need another Sulcata there is many adoption places that need a home for baby Sulcatas!

~lll

jpeff

5 Year Member
none that Ive found in va and most wont let there sulcata be adopted out to places that have cold winters which I understand cuase they need there room

Status
Not open for further replies.