Getting ready to be a mommy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
Those of you who read my introduction post know that I have never owned a tortoise myself, but I loved interacting with them and caring for them at the zoo I interned at. I'm getting ready to buy a Russian hatching of my very own
( :D :D ) and am making a shopping list!

Since everyone here really cares about torts, and really knows their stuff, I'd like your input! What is my list missing? Is there a place you recommend I go to buy my supplies? Is there a place I should avoid? Are there brands you prefer above others? Lay it all on me!

My list (so far):

-Opaque storage tub (for an enclosure--plan to upgrade as the baby grows) with ROUND corners, or I will have to tape them off so he doesn't climb and flip!

-Thermometers (2, one for the basking end and one for the non-heated end)

-Hygrometer (? I don't think humidity will be a problem, but is it something I should monitor? If so, what range is acceptable?)

-Heat lamp (ceramic? I confess, though we use lamps in our barn with our farm animals in the winter, I am nervous about one in the house. What is an acceptable wattage, and how should it be set up safely?)

-Light lamp (or will the light in my room be enough?)

-substrate (what is the "best" kind?--I realize there are varying opinions. Also, how important is it to keep it moist for a Russian hatchling? How often should I spray it?)

-water dish

-food area(s)--(I've heard it said that a tile works well for this? Is one spot ok or should I offer food in different places?)

-hides (how many?)

-plants! (good ideas for a couple just to get me started?)

-food for my baby! Mazuri, and what else?

-JM

5 Year Member
my list must be perfect, lol.
But I had some questions up there? Does no one have any input?

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I don't have a Russian, but I keep mine inside during winter. If this is in the house, You may reconsider both a light lamp and a heat lamp. If your house temp doesn't go too low at night, you may not need the heat lamp. A good UV light, 100W or so will provide enough heat and llight for daytime. You need one hide at least, maybe two if the enclosure is large enough. I never monitored the humidity, but I live by the coast so it is normally high humidity anway.

Hope this helps some. Perhaps someone with more russian experience will give some input also. :)

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I got my first tortoise, a russian also, in July. I got a combo heat & uv light from a local pet store and I really like it. I also got a reptile stand from zoo med to hang the light. I was worried about it getting too hot at first but it wasn't anything to worry about. A friend of mine told me not to touch the bulb with my bare hands, something about the oil in our hands, so to use a dish towel when you put the light bulb in the fixture. The light in your room will not be enough, you need to have a specific uvb light as well as a heat lamp for basking.

I also got some russian seed mix to grow my own plants for her, got those from carolina pet supply website. She LOVES it! They will sprout in a week and will go crazy in her enclosure. I like that she gets the grazing aspect & then I offer her other things too, romaine, hibiscus flower, collard greens, mustard greens, kale. There is a list of plants on this forum somewhere, it's an outside link but if you go searching you should find it.

I have 2 hides for Betty but she usually just uses one, or buries herself in some random spot in the enclosure.

Just do your research & there's TONS on here, and you and your new baby will do great! Post pics asap!!! Congratulations : D

-JM

5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm in central Texas, so it's pretty humid. During the winter our house dries out though, so I was concerned about humidity. I appreciate all the input! As soon as I'm set up I'll post pictures!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
That's the funny thing about working (or interning) at zoos...we're never happy unless we can keep our animals in an attractive zoo-like exhibit.

movealongmosey

5 Year Member
Cincinnati Ohio
Though I do not own a russian i've heard veggies like beans, corn, and carrots are good for tortoises or at least a redfoot lol. :p But what i usually do is buy a bag of frozen veggies and blend it with mazuri so it makes a paste, its easier to eat than the veggies alone.

-JM

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
That's the funny thing about working (or interning) at zoos...we're never happy unless we can keep our animals in an attractive zoo-like exhibit.

It's so true! I want to make a paradise for my baby, that everyone else will enjoy to look at too. Are young tortoises prone to chewwing on plastic plants? I was going to decorate the enclosure to give him some cover while I wait for my mix to grow.

Also, are there substrates that are better to use with hatchlings or is the bed-a-beast stuff ok?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I had plastic plants with my russians and didn't have any problems. They nibbled for the first day or two to check what they were but quickly figured out that they weren't edible. After that I never had any more problems.

Mine weren't hatchlings, but I bet hatchlings would figure it out as quickly as mine did.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Hey Jessica!!!

First off CONGRATS on your new baby!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
I don't have a Russian, but I do know that the Testudo group of the Mediterranean (Greeks and Hermann's) and the Russian's are very similar. I'm pretty sure (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that you could keep a baby Russian on Aspen and add some Eco Earth and Moss to get the proper humidity.

LadyGreek

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, California
Hey Jessica!!!

First off CONGRATS on your new baby!!! I'm so happy for you!!!
I don't have a Russian, but I do know that the Testudo group of the Mediterranean (Greeks and Hermann's) and the Russian's are very similar. I'm pretty sure (and please anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that you could keep a baby Russian on Aspen and add some Eco Earth and Moss to get the proper humidity.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Here is a list of foods I feed my 3 russians. Hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves,radish tops,dandelion leaves and flowers,aloe vera,cactus pads,cactus flowers,squash leaves and flowers, mandeville flowers (not sure on the spelling), I avoid fruits and vegetables except for once month as a treat and usually it is a carrot or something like that. I hope this helps.

-JM

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help, ya'll :)
I am so excited to get home and get things set up! I hope I can purchase my hatchling soon!

Where can I get all those flower/leaves? Do you grow your own?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I grow all of my own.

-JM

5 Year Member
I'd like to get that one from you, Cory, if you're still willing to ship it to me. :)

-JM

5 Year Member
OK! So I'm home from my internship and I'm setting up so I can get the baby. I found some underbed storage tubs in the attic. I have one that is about 5" deep and one that's a little under 6" deep. Will either of those be deep enough? I was planning on using about 2" of substrate for the baby, so there would be around 4" of clearance in the 6" tub....I am going to put the enclosure on my dresser, so I don't want the baby to somehow escape and fall to the floor!

Do I need to go buy something deeper?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
You need substrate twice as deep as the tort is long (they love to burrow!), plus room so the tort can climb on any cage furnishings and not get out. You are looking at needing more like 12 inches high. Someone posted about feeding a tort mixed frozen veggies--I disagree with this and would stick to weeds and greens, and very very little Mazuri if you choose to go that route. Humidity isn't much of concern with a Russian, even a hatchling. I even used dry substrate (aspen) and did fine. Try to find a yearling not a hatchling as they are fragile. Add to your list a 100 Watt MVB, Mega Ray or T-Rex Active UV Heat (not the T-Rex UV Heat, which has less UVB output and is cheaper), available for about $50 online, a lamp stand like the ZooMed large one, a ceramic socket wide and deep dome fixture (pet stores for black ones or hardware stores for silver ones), a temp gun (PE1 is $25 on Ebay), at least three hides/plants/timothy hay piles (one for each temp zone, at least one near the basking area, one near the food, and one cool one, maybe more if its a big enclosure--I like Michael's with a coupon for some large shade leaves but make sure you don't get a shrub type thing that can be climbed, and I'd avoid logs completely because hatchlings love to climb those--stick to boxes with vertical sides), and you only need a heat lamp for at night if your room gets under 70 F (try 100 Watts and although you waste some heat, you don't want to put it really close for fear your tort will climb and touch it or whatever).

You can get a ceramic heat emitter or black light with a cage clamp fixture. Have a few hundred put asside for emergency vet bills in addition to probably the $500 you need to start off to buy all the tort stuff, tort, and initial vet check up with fecal test. A slate tile for food and a plant saucer (plus river rocks in and around it for the best fit) is a good idea. For substrate, many will tell you to have a moist substrate like coconut coir, organic potting soil, or cypress mulch, but I love shredded aspen for my Russian (he's now 2). I buy 45 lb bags and its cheap and easy to use. We had a very tough time keeping the moist substrate warm enough because we live in a damp cold climate and keep our house very cold. Make sure the enclosure is off the ground and test everything out with the substrate & temps & bulbs before you get the tort. Good luck!

-JM

5 Year Member
Great! thanks so much! All I have to go buy is a deeper tub :) I'm testing out all the stuff I got now. It's great advice! I'm going to go down to our creek later in the week and get some rocks to put around the water saucer thing I have, and I bough one hide, but I didn't like most of what petco had so I'm going to play around with some stuff around the house to make the other hides.

That's about all I can think of, but if more questions come up, I won't hesitate to ask! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.