Getting ready to lay eggs??! HELP-- Eastern box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
She crawled out of her outdoor enclosure, we were planning to let her go in a few more days. Found her in our yard digging a hole--she's been at it for over 2 hrs now, wondering if she may lay eggs? So just in case I built a makeshift enclosure with window screens and rocks. ImageUploadedByTortForum1373166899.010009.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1373167110.702590.jpg THANKS FOR ANY HELP OR INFO:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
Yes, she most def. is preparing a site for eggs. She may or may not decide to lay in it though...only a couple more hours will tell. I'm confused though...I thought you released the captured EBTs after the race...

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
What is the purpose of that enclosure?

It would be good idea to put a wire cage over the nest to protect it after she lays. But that enosure?

Turtles sometimes make a number of test holes before laying their eggs. That enclosure is preventing that. If you must corral her, make it huge.

5 Year Member
I know. That enclosure took me like 5 mins because we had to leavers to to a graduation party, but today I'll be building a much better one.

And the purpose of that enclosure was just to keep her contained because we had to leave immediately..

SHE'S LAYING EGGS!!!! :) ImageUploadedByTortForum1373202351.687226.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Can u touch the eggs and if can the be turned? How do u handle eggs

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

shellfreak

10 Year Member!
Turtle eggs in the first 24-48 hours are pretty durable. Regardless, I always try to place the eggs in the same position as they were found in the ground. You do not turn turtle eggs due to their air sac. My advice would be keep them in the ground, especially if she is wild. Put a little wire enclosure around the egg spot so no animals can dig them up. If you plan on incubating, there are many threads on how to do so.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Intressting, do u have to keep them moist when leaving them in the ground,and what is better? Ground or incubator?

zman7590

5 Year Member
Ground is best...mothers always know right lol as long as you have wire around it so no animals can dig them up! Incubating is nice but always a risk of killing eggs.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I didnt know that what about all the fireants would they eat the eggs

5 Year Member
Yes, I'll be releasing her very soon, but she really seems to like my yard and forest in the back. She walks around freely all day, and catches bugs.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
You said you were releasing her, but I guess you didn't. This is very sad. These eggs could have been laid in her home territory, which would have increased the population. Sad.

5 Year Member
Yes, I am letting her go but where she lives is 30 min away and she laid them in my yard with a forest behind our home. Sorry, but right now I just need help not criticism. One person on the forum caught a box turtle and is keeping it!! I am not trying to keep her as a pet. She has the woods at our home to roam right now, until I can release her tomorrow. If she laid those eggs on top of the ground in the wild, they wouldn't last. Last night I took the makeshift enclosure down so she could leave the egg spot if she wanted to. I'm just trying to help really. I'm not an experienced turtle breeder. I already feel bad enough for not releasing her sooner and I could have, but this was totally unexpected.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
I think if u like her and take good care of her and give her lots of space to feel free,u should keep her, since its saver for her then the wild! Just love her and take care of her and her babies .thats my opinion

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I agree with Sandra. After all, I was advised the same thing by a rescue. Just my opinion. Not trying to upset anyone though. As long as no one is selling turtles, takes loving care of them, protects them, educates themselves thoroughly, builds a proper outdoor enclosure.... [TURTLE]

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

Status
Not open for further replies.