Getting ready to welcome a tortoise to the family

megjz

Location (City and/or State)
West Liberty, Ia
Hello!

I just wanted to say hello and to thank you so much for allowing me to join your forum. :) I've been learning so much here-- you all are amazing!

My family and I are getting ready to be a tortoise family ;) my son has been wanting one ever since he could talk (he's 7 now), so we decided it's time. I plan on taking an active role on the care of the tortoise as well. We've been doing a lot of research both here and on the tortoise subreddit. We are very excited and are getting things set up and making sure we are doing everything the right way. :) I'll definitely be around reading the posts for more information and advice. :)

Thanks again and happy to meet you :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. You all must be excited.
As long as you dont have the tort yet, the best and easiest way is to get the enclosure up and running so everything can be tweaked before he comes home. Less worries that way too.
Post what you have, temps, equipment you want to use or already bought and we can help you get it right.
Also let us know the species you are getting and its age/size.

megjz

West Liberty, Ia
Hello and Welcome. You all must be excited.
As long as you dont have the tort yet, the best and easiest way is to get the enclosure up and running so everything can be tweaked before he comes home. Less worries that way too.
Post what you have, temps, equipment you want to use or already bought and we can help you get it right.
Also let us know the species you are getting and its age/size.
OMG- we are so excited! :) I know we are probably a few months out from getting it, so we are just starting to really get things together. We have been watching YouTube videos for some inspiration on enclosures. I'm not sure if we will try to build one ourselves or buy a pre built wooden one. If anyone has one they LOVE, please let me know.

We live in the rural Midwest, so we are getting a tortoise that won't get too big. My son is trying to decide between a Hermann's or a Russian. I think we are leaning towards the Russian. We will be getting one that is young, but not a hatchling. I'm hoping that this age will be a little better for a beginner than a baby. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, an older one is better for a beginner and I think specially a child. Hatchlings can be tuffer and if something goes badly wrong the poor child loses his pet.
Both Russians and Hermanns are good choices.
I have a Russian and he can be a character. He once climber up a tree and got stuck in the crotch of a branch, not knowing what to do next to get down. After I had a good laugh and a talk with him, I did help him down lol.
They are great climbers and diggers so keep that in mind when building enclosures. Hermanns I'm not sure how they are.
Good luck and be very careful where you get your care info from, there is a lot of bad outdated info out there. Also be sure you purchase him/her from someone that raises them right. You might also want to adopt one which Russians seem to usually be posted a lot in craigslist.

megjz

West Liberty, Ia
Thank you so much!! I'll definitely keep that in mind if we decide on a Russian. They sound like they can be little explorers :D we would definitely be open to adoption. Where we live is pretty rural, so we only have chain pet stores around :/ so I'm trying to find other avenues to find a tortoise. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist. Has anyone had luck shipping tortoises? Just wondering if that's an option if nothing pans out locally.

Thank you again :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Shipping tortoises is done all the time. Out of the 6 or so I have had over the years only two were gotten local and they were rescues. I have shipped several myself with no problems.

megjz

West Liberty, Ia
Oh my gosh! You don't know how relieved I am to hear that! I think that opens up the possibilities a LOT for us-- so we can get just the right one for our family :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh! You don't know how relieved I am to hear that! I think that opens up the possibilities a LOT for us-- so we can get just the right one for our family :)
I would say a Hermanns tortoise would be preferable to a Russian, as they are not such climbers or escapologists - our Hermanns tortoise is nearly 22, and he has been a constant joy and amusement. He is interested in everything, and very friendly. Just possibly slightly less dangerously adventurous than a Russian. But both kinds are lovely.
Angie

megjz

West Liberty, Ia
I would say a Hermanns tortoise would be preferable to a Russian, as they are not such climbers or escapologists - our Hermanns tortoise is nearly 22, and he has been a constant joy and amusement. He is interested in everything, and very friendly. Just possibly slightly less dangerously adventurous than a Russian. But both kinds are lovely.
Angie
Thank you so much!! That sounds like an excellent choice. :) I know each tortoise's personality might vary, but having a type that is generally friendly is going to be a huge plus! Do the Hermann's like to burrow much?

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you so much!! That sounds like an excellent choice. :) I know each tortoise's personality might vary, but having a type that is generally friendly is going to be a huge plus! Do the Hermann's like to burrow much?
Zola has never shown any inclination to burrow - he lives in his conservatory, and likes to move the furniture around (he is really strong) , but when we are outside with him, he never tries to dig or burrow at all. Maybe he is unusual in this respect, of course. He has a hide in his conservatory, where he likes to sleep ( it's heated) - as well as a basking lamp, but when we are with him, he is much more interested in what we are doing than anything else. We have always given him a lot of attention , and he is very alert and aware of what is going on
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!

I just wanted to say hello and to thank you so much for allowing me to join your forum. :) I've been learning so much here-- you all are amazing!

My family and I are getting ready to be a tortoise family ;) my son has been wanting one ever since he could talk (he's 7 now), so we decided it's time. I plan on taking an active role on the care of the tortoise as well. We've been doing a lot of research both here and on the tortoise subreddit. We are very excited and are getting things set up and making sure we are doing everything the right way. :) I'll definitely be around reading the posts for more information and advice. :)

Thanks again and happy to meet you :)
Hello and welcome. You are going about this the RIGHT way, and you will be rewarded with a positive tortoise keeping experience.

Here is the most important thing to know: Almost all of the tortoise info you find on YT, FB, reddit, in pet shops, from vets, and even from most breeders is all wrong. We've been doing it all wrong for decades, and most people have no clue. Here on this forum we've been doing experiments and sharing findings for a decade now, and what you read here will differ greatly from all those other sources. This can lead to terrible confusion, frustration, and ultimately failure. Most people don't find us until AFTER they followed all that wrong advice and things are not going well. YOU, on the other hand, found us before you made all the common mistakes. WOO HOO!

Here is the correct care info for both of the species you are interested in. Questions are welcome. Respectful arguing is welcome, and I hope we can help. You don't have to believe any of this "because I said so...". Feel free to question any of it. Your questions will help you to understand why that old way is wrong, and why what we are telling you is right. This will lead to a healthy tortoise, and a happy tortoise keeping experience.

megjz

West Liberty, Ia
Hello and welcome. You are going about this the RIGHT way, and you will be rewarded with a positive tortoise keeping experience.

Here is the most important thing to know: Almost all of the tortoise info you find on YT, FB, reddit, in pet shops, from vets, and even from most breeders is all wrong. We've been doing it all wrong for decades, and most people have no clue. Here on this forum we've been doing experiments and sharing findings for a decade now, and what you read here will differ greatly from all those other sources. This can lead to terrible confusion, frustration, and ultimately failure. Most people don't find us until AFTER they followed all that wrong advice and things are not going well. YOU, on the other hand, found us before you made all the common mistakes. WOO HOO!

Here is the correct care info for both of the species you are interested in. Questions are welcome. Respectful arguing is welcome, and I hope we can help. You don't have to believe any of this "because I said so...". Feel free to question any of it. Your questions will help you to understand why that old way is wrong, and why what we are telling you is right. This will lead to a healthy tortoise, and a happy tortoise keeping experience.
Wow! Thank you so much!! :) I will definitely ask questions. I have had pets my entire life, but never a tortoise, so I really want to make sure I am doing everything right. I think pets are family members, so I just want to make sure they all have a wonderful life. I am definitely up for the learning journey and am really excited I found this forum. Everyone here seems so wonderful :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Wow! Thank you so much!! :) I will definitely ask questions. I have had pets my entire life, but never a tortoise, so I really want to make sure I am doing everything right. I think pets are family members, so I just want to make sure they all have a wonderful life. I am definitely up for the learning journey and am really excited I found this forum. Everyone here seems so wonderful :)
One of the wonderful things about tortoises is that they can live a very long time. There are several people on the forum who have tortoises who've been with them all their lives, and which are now in their 70s or 80s - a lifetime friend, unlike a dog or any other animal. I am sure you will make a good choice - you have experts here who will help with any problems, and friends with the same interests as you .No one will mind if you ask any question, however minor it may be. And of course people will want to know your little friend's progress.
Best wishes from Angie x