Getting sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I put my torts out everyday, but they tend to stay in their hides. Are they still getting any benifits from the sun? It has been really hot here this week.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Don't they come out in the mornings and just before dusk to feed?

I'm told that plenty of reflected UV is adequate and much better than nothing.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Even in filtered shade like from trees and bushes they still get some rays.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
They sleep inside, but go outside when I am home. They do not have a permanent outdoor home yet. Still just a rabbit cage I set on the grass. They are still pretty small and it has to be something really safe for them to be in it when I am not home or at night. I just finished Trudy's ( box turtle ) enclouser, but haven't started the CDT's yet. Their hides are little card board boxes that I set on the ground, I replace them every few days.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Should Be Getting Some Kind Of Rays Hitting Them, Either While They Walk Around or Get Food!
A Couple Minutes Daily, 10-20 is More Then Enough!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Angi, Rusty my box loves the Texas Toast boxes. I have tried everything and those are the only thing he likes!

What about terra cotta flower pots? My CDT's love them, and you won't have to replace them as often!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I made this with a big flower pot. I've seen three of my boxies go in there together. You can still see the line where I was cutting the hole out......I'm not too handy.
I've often wondered the same thing. I put my little Solo out and she sits in the sun for two minutes and then goes in the hide for the rest of the day. I guess it's better than nothing.
006-56.jpg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
terryo said:
I made this with a big flower pot. I've seen three of my boxies go in there together. You can still see the line where I was cutting the hole out......I'm not too handy.
I've often wondered the same thing. I put my little Solo out and she sits in the sun for two minutes and then goes in the hide for the rest of the day. I guess it's better than nothing.
006-56.jpg

She knows how much sun she needs...tortoises were being tortoises back when our ancestors were stil up in the trees! :p

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
What is a Texas toast box? Terry I love the flower pot hide. How did you cut it?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
A reptile isn't going to spend a whole lot of time in full-strength, direct sunlight because it would get overheated. Also, remember that despite their shells, tortoises are vulnerable to predation, so they generally prefer to be undercover most of the time, unless they are basking, foraging, looking for a mate, or looking for shelter.

If you're going to leave them out all day in a secure area, then the irony is that if they have shelter, then they will feel more like coming out. If you only let your tortoises out for half and hour or an hour at a time, then maybe they're just taking a while to get used to their surroundings, in which case you might let them stay out a bit longer.

The point is, tortoises don't spend that much time in direct sunlight. As long as your tortoises bask a little, then that is normal and healthy for them. As has been mentioned above, if they are outdoors but in the shade most of the time, then they are still getting the benefit of some UVB radiation from the sun.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am a home body so they stay out for long periods of time. Today they have been out for three hours. I will bring them in at 2:00 when I leave for my son's baseball game. I just gave them a shady area too. BTW~ It is the chamianship game if we win this tourny is over if we lose they have to beat us tomorrow too or we take this champianship. Then off to the next tournament.
My other passion is youth baseball :) GO RAMONA 12U Red !!!!!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
FernandoM said:
Simple but useful Terry :)

Some folks take that to mean that I believe in Man evolving from apes...actually, I've come to suspect that apes evolved from us, as they often show a higher moral code and a better sense of humor... :p

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
FernandoM said:

Some folks take that to mean that I believe in Man evolving from apes...actually, I've come to suspect that apes evolved from us, as they often show a higher moral code and a better sense of humor... :p

Oops! I mean Terry O. hahah...Sorry Terry A! :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
FernandoM said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
FernandoM said:

Oops! I mean Terry O. hahah...Sorry Terry A! :p

Way to confuse us! :p

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
FernandoM said:
So many Terry's!!! My baaaaad

I should have prior claim because I'm definitely the oldest Terry here...why, TerryO is a mere Maiden of Youthful Beauty beside my Advanced Geezerliness! ;)

Now, all you young whippersnappers, get off my dad-gummed lawn! :D

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Terry Allan Hall said:
FernandoM said:
So many Terry's!!! My baaaaad

I should have prior claim because I'm definitely the oldest Terry here...why, TerryO is a mere maiden beside my Advanced Geezerliness! ;)

Now, all you young whippersnappers, get off my dad-gummed lawn! :D

lol no comment :p

Status
Not open for further replies.