Getting worried now

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Hi all

Getting worried bout stumpy now last few weeks he has gone off his food wudnt even eat a strawberry! He has a few mouthfuls then goes back to bed. He stays in bed unless I get him out for a soak and he is really burying himself.

He was out in the garden on Sunday ad was roaming all over but still didn't eat.
His temps inside were 40 - 44c so I thought it might b to warm changed the bulb it's now at 30 - 34c.

His eyes and nose are clear but he hasn't had a poop in a week and a half. I tried looking for pumpkin in the shops as I know this can help them poop but they don't even have tinned.

Any ideas what cud b wrong? Could it just b he was to warm? Or something else?

Just want him back to normal :(

A worried shell

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
itsmeshell said:
Hi all

Getting worried bout stumpy now last few weeks he has gone off his food wudnt even eat a strawberry! He has a few mouthfuls then goes back to bed. He stays in bed unless I get him out for a soak and he is really burying himself.

He was out in the garden on Sunday ad was roaming all over but still didn't eat.
His temps inside were 40 - 44c so I thought it might b to warm changed the bulb it's now at 30 - 34c.

His eyes and nose are clear but he hasn't had a poop in a week and a half. I tried looking for pumpkin in the shops as I know this can help them poop but they don't even have tinned.

Any ideas what cud b wrong? Could it just b he was to warm? Or something else?

Just want him back to normal :(

A worried shell

you didn't mention what kind of tort so that more experienced owners/breeders might be able to help you. Temperature could be causing this but IDK if it would hinder him from pooping or eating as usual. Sounds like he may be sick..I heard a sick tort could use extra high temps but don't quote me on that. I can't even begin to tell you anything as it doesn't seem like there's enough info about it...either a vet visit might help or you can look up reptaid http://coastalsilkworms.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=36_50&products_id=300 IDK much info on Reptaid but someone here might. Gluck and hope it gets better :(

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
He's a horsefield tortoise. I've had him nearly 2 years and I'm guessing he is about 5 or 6. He has never been like this before :(

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sounds to me like he might be dehydrated. I recommend soaking him a few times a day and keeping him warm.
Secondly, are you sure he is a he and not a she? Not being sarcastic. It is possible that if he is a she, she could be developing eggs which may be a reason for loss of appetite.
Bottome line is, tortoises go downhill rapidly so I would get him to a vet ASAP.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Scott

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I looked at your prior post back 3-1-12 and you said he had been doing this for a bit so he has been out of sorts for two or three weeks? Perhaps he knows the seasons still....if his eyes and nose are clear and his enclosure is warm enough...I would say to keep soaking him at least every other day and continue to offer food...if he is not eating.g but a bite or two then he likely does not have any poo to offer...what is the coolest part of his enclosure? And does he seem to want to be there more than anywhere else in the enclosure? What is your basking spot temp and your overall all temp? These guys are tricky at certain times of the year...I know folks will say if you keep the temps exact and light duration each day exact that will keep a tortoise alert and like normal ....however this is a species that has evolved for a few years into brumating a good chunk if the year...he may just be having nature call on him....but if you have not elected to support brumation and have kept him awake then I suggest you continue to do just that...bug him each day by dragging him out and soaking...basking and food offerings....if all else is good then this should pass....:D

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses.

I call him a 'he' but it could easily be a girl never had him sexed. Would a female still lay eggs if there was no male? I only have the tortoise.

I have been soaking him every couple of days for the past few weeks but will increase this to everyday.

His basking spot temps were 40 -44c but thought this was getting to hot so changed the bulb now it's 30 - 33. He always sleeps on the cool side.

Shell

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
With a russian ( AKA horse field) light can also play a factor in their energy level. In all honesty sometimes despite our best efforts they still slow down during winter time. He seems healthy enough from your description, eyes and nose clear, active in warm days outside. For now I would soak him and monitor his weight, if he starts losing weight dramatically then I would start to worry and go to a vet. Just offer food to him and keep an eye out for now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
post pictures of the underside and tail area.. we can tell you if male or female.. if he ate something, like a stone, it could be causing a blockage..
do the babyfood soaks.. and looke for canned pumpkin in the veggi section or the baking section. but get the one with no sugar and spices.. not pie filling..

itsmeshell

5 Year Member
I will post pic when I get home quite excited to find out what 'he' is :)

He had stopped eating before he went outside so doubt he got a stone.

I live in England and I looked in out 2 big supermarkets no tinned pumpkin anywhere

batchick

5 Year Member
Maybe boiled butternut, which is very like pumpkin, and mashed and diluted? I think you can usually get butternut in the UK, but it is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.