Giant African land snails.

Rocky-the-tort

5 Year Member
They do slime all over the glass but, all you need to do is wipe a wet tissue over it.
Here is a PIC of my new snail enclosure.

sent from meeee!
If you ever buy some giant African land snails and want to know about the set up, ask me and I'll tell you:D

Attachments

• 1368880871448.jpg
    1368880871448.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 127

Rocky-the-tort

5 Year Member
Ive been breeding them and finally got what I want. Eggs!:D
Can't post PIC, eggs to fragile for the focus and flash
sent from meeee!

isay

5 Year Member
uhmm hello, im new here and im really interested about snails actually i have one about 4.3 inches is its shell and it was sleeping right now..this is my second snail because my first snail died when it fell on the floor too bad...but i had a new one , its name is mog and i would like you guys to help me in taking care of giant snails :shy:

isay

5 Year Member
Rocky-the-tort said:
Today I dgot 5 baby giant African land snails. I would like to create a blog all about giant African land snails.n:) feel free to join in!!:D
Let's call it...:idea:
Snailforum!

Hi im new here and i had a pet giant snail...and just this sunday it lay 4 eggs....and only 2 eggs survive ,,uhmm its my first time so i dont know how to take care of the eggs,,would anybody give me some help THANKS ..

Rocky-the-tort

5 Year Member
A cuttle fish in the tank which you are keeping them in is a good I idea otherwise just feed them veg and calcium dust:D

sent from meeee!

JordanSelina

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK, Hertfordshire
I have two giant african land snails - achatina fulica, today I noticed one egg on top of the moss where the largest snail was, but that's it! I've looked all over the internet and this seems very unusual -as I thought they laid about 200 eggs at a time, and that they buried them? I don't have a clue what's going on.. I was wondering if anyone did? Thankyouu.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Wait and more will come. My guys lay in clutches of 50-100. I have jadatzi achatina fulica, as the normal snails if I bred them I would have to freeze the eggs as you can barely even give them away here. The jadatzi I do sell though. People on the thread are right though, don't let them escape into the wild, they can be highly invasive. Pics can be found somewhere on the forum I'm sure of mine.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah so for what it is worth . . .

Nothing like talking about an illegal activity on line, you know.

http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/CAPS/pestInfo/giantSnail.htm

this is in the link if you don't want to read the whole thing . . .

"All of the snails in the U.S. are here illegally."

Also of note: Agricultural inspectors do not need warrants to search private property for threats to agriculture by illegally imported pests.

Just though this might be of interest. Yeah they are cool, very popular as pets in many places.

Will

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Interesting Will. While there are no doubt a few wild in the UK, we haven't had any outbreaks of them as far as I'm aware. They are fascinating to watch but when I clean them out I have to be careful I don't get any eggs.

Masin

5 Year Member
North Florida
We had so many in south Florida, of course tortsie kept eating all of the ones that came across her path :/ We have really large snails here in north Florida, but not the same as those fellas! Super cute!

JordanSelina

5 Year Member
UK, Hertfordshire
FLINTUS said:
Wait and more will come. My guys lay in clutches of 50-100. I have jadatzi achatina fulica, as the normal snails if I bred them I would have to freeze the eggs as you can barely even give them away here. The jadatzi I do sell though. People on the thread are right though, don't let them escape into the wild, they can be highly invasive. Pics can be found somewhere on the forum I'm sure of mine.
Thankyou, I have a 'normal' one and a jadatzi one, so I'm not sure what the babies would look like? They still haven't laid anymore? And the one they did lay hasn't hatched! I wouldn't release them into the wild unless I lived in East Africa, they probably wouldn't survive here for very long! If I had it my way they'd still be in Africa! I'm just giving them the best life I can whilst they're here :) my mum was at work (it's like a halfway house, shes the manager) she was wandering about the corridors and she found a small plastic box with a huge snail inside - just an empty plastic box with a tiny peice of rotted lettuce and a bit of salt in there! My mum spoke to one of the residents and found out the man that had the snail had left and moved somewhere else, and just left him there :( one of the other residents were going to throw him in the bin!!! So my mum knowing what I'm like brought him to me to look after! He's happy now :) apparently he'd been in that tiny box for 6months!

Rocky-the-tort

5 Year Member
Wow! That's cool and sad at the same time!

Sent from my ST25i using TortForum mobile app