1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

Giant Asian water turtle care (Heosemys Grandis)

Discussion in 'Water turtles' started by Luansterz, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Luansterz

Luansterz New Member

So today a turtle turned up at my home and it is a Heosemys Grandis as identified by another member.

I'm reading rather conflicting things on the internet such as whether to keep it dry or wet (difficult to do both at the moment as I will have to make provisions for its enclosure in the next few days)

Also, it doesn't seem to be eating and is extremely shy and will retreat into its shell when approached. What can I do about this?

Any info about its care is appreciated!
  2. cdmay

cdmay Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Heosemys grandis is a robust turtle species when healthy and acclimated. They are full of personality too.
    Depending on how large your turtle is now, I would recommend keeping it in a shallow water situation for the time being. Once he/she calms down and begins feeding you can assess the future plans for it. Of course, you'll want to keep it somewhat warm considering that it's winter now.
    A bit more info would be helpful such as: how did you acquire it? Where are you located? How large is it?, etc.
  3. tortadise

tortadise Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

Yep pretty much what Carl said! Be prepared they grow quite rapid and obtain a healthy large size. I started 3 neonates in a 250 gallon tub then about 4onths later had to put them in a pond outside. They are almost 1 1/2 years old now and about 10". They don't really care for substrate or land areas. They do love to bask and hang out on branches or driftwood though. Mazuri turtle pellets, fruits, full leaf greens with stock and water hyacinth is pretty much the diet they get here.
  4. TortoiseWorld

TortoiseWorld Active Member

Yours is a beautiful animal.
    If you can't find the original owner, and you don't you have space, time and money to properly care for the turtle, I would release it as soon as possible while it's still strong, find a suitable habitat outside the city away from people.

Giant Asian pond turtle habitat
    The giant Asian pond turtle inhabits a range of freshwater habitats, including rivers, streams, lakes, swamps and marshes, from sea level up to hilly areas, However, the giant Asian pond turtle is not restricted to water, and can also be found partially hidden under vegetation on land.
  5. Pops the turtle guy

Pops the turtle guy New Member

Luansterz I will take him off your hands and give him proper care, where are you located?