Giant torts in LA?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
I just booked a flight to LA. I need a break from the rain and gloom of the Pacific Northwest. Are there any places to see tortoises there? A sanctuary or rescue? I'd really love to see some Aldabras or any Galapagos tortoises. I can't think of a better vacation than one where I sit in the sun and feed and scratch the neck of a giant tortoise! Any leads are much appreciated.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Well the obvious place is the San Diego zoo, they have different subspecies of Galapagos there along with other tortoises. It’s been years since I went to the LA zoo, I don’t remember what tortoises they had.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Well the obvious place is the San Diego zoo, they have different subspecies of Galapagos there along with other tortoises. It’s been years since I went to the LA zoo, I don’t remember what tortoises they had.
A zoo might just make me sad and there'd be no chance of feeding or neck scratching but thanks for the idea.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
A zoo might just make me sad and there'd be no chance of feeding or neck scratching but thanks for the idea.
A bit of a Google might help...?
Anyone here know of any tort rescue centers/shelters etc. in LA?

Relic

Here
I haven't been to the S.D. zoo in many years, but neck scratching was easy, as many of the giants ambled over to the low wall out front seemingly wanting to have their neck scratched. My young wife was happy to oblige...circa 1979.I5cuOhivT6SHgkqtIL06yQ_thumb_399e.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well that is sad. Why would a wonderful collection of well housed well cared for animals make you sad? Its a wonderful inspiring thing to see. Have you ever been to the S.D. Zoo? Its quite nice. No animals in little cells behind bars like in the pictures from 1920's zoos. Big flowing naturalistic enclosures with lots of plants, hills and pathways for them. Daily behavioral enrichment. A staff of vets and techs for any problems that might pop up. And a fantastic mild climate to enjoy it all in.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Well that is sad. Why would a wonderful collection of well housed well cared for animals make you sad? Its a wonderful inspiring thing to see. Have you ever been to the S.D. Zoo? Its quite nice. No animals in little cells behind bars like in the pictures from 1920's zoos. Big flowing naturalistic enclosures with lots of plants, hills and pathways for them. Daily behavioral enrichment. A staff of vets and techs for any problems that might pop up. And a fantastic mild climate to enjoy it all in.
I totally agree! That is a very top class zoo. Wish I could get there too.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Paid for the Aldabra encounter while at the Tampa Zoo in December. Awesome meeting the big torts just not over excited for the size an design of the enclosure

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
In my opinion, no torts should be pet in zoos. I totally agree with tom. I believe no zoo animals should be pet, as they are not domestic, and therefor dont generally enjoy it (yes torts can like neck scratches but too much of that from strangers would probably stress them out). Also, isnt enough to just see happy tortoises?

Humphrey's Hangout

5 Year Member
Sonoran desert, Arizona
I just booked a flight to LA. I need a break from the rain and gloom of the Pacific Northwest. Are there any places to see tortoises there? A sanctuary or rescue? I'd really love to see some Aldabras or any Galapagos tortoises. I can't think of a better vacation than one where I sit in the sun and feed and scratch the neck of a giant tortoise! Any leads are much appreciated.

The Living Desert Museum & Gardens in Palm Desert has a tortoise habitat. And the weather is typically warm and sunny. www.livingdesert.org

cbs

Malibu, CA

Relic

Here
In my opinion, no torts should be pet in zoos. I totally agree with tom. I believe no zoo animals should be pet, as they are not domestic, and therefor dont generally enjoy it (yes torts can like neck scratches but too much of that from strangers would probably stress them out). Also, isnt enough to just see happy tortoises?
Don't enjoy it? Stress them out? My gosh, they come to the front wall for the sole purpose of interacting with "the strangers." The pen is very large; if they want to avoid human contact there is ample space to do just that.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I haven't been to the S.D. zoo in many years, but neck scratching was easy, as many of the giants ambled over to the low wall out front seemingly wanting to have their neck scratched. My young wife was happy to oblige...circa 1979.View attachment 285041
Wow! That would be perfect. I'll look into that. Thanks!

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
@Relic you and your wife were probably more mature than most if the children that come to see them. Ive seen kids poking at animals in ways i dont think a tort would like. Im not saying that they hate all human interaction but i think seeing the torts live in a natural setting is fine, and its probably better to have that without the risk of them getting stressed out. Its like saying that because a human likes getting a back massage they would enjoy every near store being for a back massage with the same name and indistinguishable appearance , but some are unpleasant, you just expect the best.

nandusnandus

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
We were at the San Diego Zoo this past summer and were able to do some neck-scratching with one of their Galops. It was a supervised interaction with one of the zoo keepers facilitating the "scratches."