Giving My Russian Tortoise Exercise

marissab

I'm worried my tortoise isn't getting enough exercise in the winter months. I'm not home most of the day so I don't know if he moves around much in his terrarium, which is rather large (12 feet sq.). Whenever I put him in the bath he kind of just sits there, so he doesn't get much time to move around. I'd like to let him walk around in my laundry room with the space heater on so it's not too cold, but whenever I take him out all he does is just **** all over the floor o_O. I've washed his towel so many times now!
Any advice on what I should do?
Thanks! :<3::tort:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Make him a bigger enclosure. 32 sq ft is what is typically recommended here for adult Russians. No worries about floor poop then.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with Sarah

The floor is not a healthy place for your tortoise

- there's a risk of him being stepped on (we had one on TFO only a few weeks ago :( ) or escaping. You only have to be distracted for a second
- there's a risk of your tort eating something it shouldn't, including hair or dust bunnies that can cause intestinal blockages
- your tort us away from the heat, UVB and humidity it needs to be healthy.

The enclosure you have is too small. Your tort needs much bigger winter quarters (4'x8' minimum)... or you get a fridge and hibernate him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises poop when they're scared. The laundry room floor is a wide open space and far as he's concerned, he's liable to be eaten at any moment.