Giving my sulcata antibiotic injections

Location (City and/or State)
Olean NY
My boy has been getting a shot every 3 days for 2 weeks now and getting better with every shot. Last time we gave him one, he really moved around a lot and some of it didn't make it in. Probably like 1/6 of it didn't make it in. It wasn't a lot, but now he seems to not be improving as much. I've been keeping him warm enough in the 90s during the day and cool enough at night in the low 80s High 70s. His humidity is kind of low, at like 30% at the most. I ordered him his pellets food, but it's taking forever to get here so he's still only eating kale. He's 3 and he's always eaten kale, I had poor information and I was young. He is 3 now. He still has a wheeze, yesterday his eyes looked a little wet. Today his eyes look better, but he's still wheezing. He has 7 more shots to go, if I try harder to get it all in next time should he be alright? I'm looking for advice. Also, substrate recommendations. My vet sent me home with a paper that said he can live in 60% organic topsoil and 40% playsand+Cyprus mulch. What do you use?

Attachments

• 20231128_124118.jpg
    20231128_124118.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
No sand! The tort will ingest it over time and there's a real chance it can cause impaction and that's real trouble...I use straight orchid bark and have never had shell rot. For a Sulcata I let it dry between watering

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Kale is also wrong information. The 70's at night is also wrong.
He has to have a much bigger better diet and the night temps should be 80-85 not lower. Improvements still need to be made ASAP
Also I agree with Maggie no sand.
Humidity should be around 80% in a humid hide for his size.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! I happy he's getting better and hope he'll be fine.
1. I see thermometer sensor is placed near the ceiling, it should be placed at tortoise shell level. That's where temperatures are important. Especially, considering that ceramic heat emitters are placed over the enclosure top. Otherwise all humidity/temperature readings would inaccurate.
2. Topsoil and playsand are bad substrate for the tortoise. Cypress mulch, orchid (fir bark) or coco coir are fine. And you need more thick substrate layer.
3. For the sick tortoise try to achieve higher nighttime temperatures. There is no need to keep different day/night temps. Keep him 86F all day round.
4. Humidity of 30% is really low, but unless temperature/humidity probe is properly placed I would not rush and change the things.

Olean NY
Hello! I happy he's getting better and hope he'll be fine.
1. I see thermometer sensor is placed near the ceiling, it should be placed at tortoise shell level. That's where temperatures are important. Especially, considering that ceramic heat emitters are placed over the enclosure top. Otherwise all humidity/temperature readings would inaccurate.
2. Topsoil and playsand are bad substrate for the tortoise. Cypress mulch, orchid (fir bark) or coco coir are fine. And you need more thick substrate layer.
3. For the sick tortoise try to achieve higher nighttime temperatures. There is no need to keep different day/night temps. Keep him 86F all day round.
4. Humidity of 30% is really low, but unless temperature/humidity probe is properly placed I would not rush and change the things.
What do you recommend about the shots? Should he be alright after another one? We failed to get it all in last time and I think it affected him

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you recommend about the shots? Should he be alright after another one? We failed to get it all in last time and I think it affected him
Your vet clearly does not know tortoise care and is repeating the old wrong info. Your tortoise got sick because it got too cold. You need to get it warmer or the shots won't do anything. Have you placed a digital thermometer that records the highs and lows down on the floor where the tortoise is sleeping? If it high 70s up on the wall, its probably hitting the 60s down on the floor, and that will suck the heat right out of your tortoise. I'd get a Kane mat int here so he can warm up from the underside too.

What are you injecting?

Olean NY
Your vet clearly does not know tortoise care and is repeating the old wrong info. Your tortoise got sick because it got too cold. You need to get it warmer or the shots won't do anything. Have you placed a digital thermometer that records the highs and lows down on the floor where the tortoise is sleeping? If it high 70s up on the wall, its probably hitting the 60s down on the floor, and that will suck the heat right out of your tortoise. I'd get a Kane mat int here so he can warm up from the underside too.

What are you injecting?
He is kept in the high 80s at night, he was only in kept at 78° for one night because I didn't think it was actually a good idea. He's getting tuberculin. My vet had a sulcata tortoise of his own, who was 2x as big as mine around 50lbs.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Can you post a photo of Tuberculin package? By its name I can only find tuberculosis diagnostics shots..

Olean NY

What are you injecting?
Im starting to believe there are a lot of factors that went into making him sick, many of them my error but in my defense I didn't know where to find information and most of it I had was false.
Can you post a photo of Tuberculin package? By its name I can only find tuberculosis diagnostics shots..

Perhaps it isn't tuberculin and that's just what the needle says.

Attachments

• 20231129_125449.jpg
    20231129_125449.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
Tuberculin is the type of syringe. The medication you are using is Ceftazidime.
Missing 1/6th of a shot during a 30 day treatment is probably not a big issue. The needles on that type of syringe are often exceptionally small. If the frozen medication is not completely thawed it can be quite difficult to pass through which makes an already challenging job that much harder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im starting to believe there are a lot of factors that went into making him sick, many of them my error but in my defense I didn't know where to find information and most of it I had was false.

Perhaps it isn't tuberculin and that's just what the needle says.
I started typing and then I saw what dd33 said. He nailed it.

Ceftazidime is also known as "Fortaz". Its good to go.

Olean NY
Tuberculin is the type of syringe. The medication you are using is Ceftazidime.
Missing 1/6th of a shot during a 30 day treatment is probably not a big issue. The needles on that type of syringe are often exceptionally small. If the frozen medication is not completely thawed it can be quite difficult to pass through which makes an already challenging job that much harder.
He received a full dose today, he's raring to go. I think perhaps he was due for another.

Huachuca city az

What are you injecting?
Why a Kane mat in particular? They are crazy expensive. Wouldn't any pet mat work?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Why a Kane mat in particular? They are crazy expensive. Wouldn't any pet mat work?
They are not all built to the same standards. Kane mats have embedded safeties built in to prevent over heating. Some of the others don't. How much money would you pay to not cook your tortoise and burn down your house? Worded another way, our tortoises lives depend on these heat mats working correctly. Its not the time to save a few bucks on an inferior product. They cost what they cost for a reason. Other products are cheaper for a reason. Also, I have Kane mats that have been in continuous use for more than 20 years and they still work flawlessly.

Also, if the Kane mat/RHP combo is more money than someone wants to spend, the mini radiant oil heaters only cost around $50 and will also safely and effectively heat an insulated tortoise house.

Huachuca city az
They are not all built to the same standards. Kane mats have embedded safeties built in to prevent over heating. Some of the others don't. How much money would you pay to not cook your tortoise and burn down your house? Worded another way, our tortoises lives depend on these heat mats working correctly. Its not the time to save a few bucks on an inferior product. They cost what they cost for a reason. Other products are cheaper for a reason. Also, I have Kane mats that have been in continuous use for more than 20 years and they still work flawlessly.

Also, if the Kane mat/RHP combo is more money than someone wants to spend, the mini radiant oil heaters only cost around $50 and will also safely and effectively heat an insulated tortoise house.
It's not so much as how much i WANT to spend its the fact that i rescued quite a few animals this year and am in a hole so deep i can't do much of anything till Taxtime. I am applying for a 501c3 status except... that's $275 and i won't have it till taxtime. So I'm stuck. As for the mini reaffirm oil heaters are you referring to the electric heaters that look like radiators? I have some of those... just not really mini.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's not so much as how much i WANT to spend its the fact that i rescued quite a few animals this year and am in a hole so deep i can't do much of anything till Taxtime. I am applying for a 501c3 status except... that's $275 and i won't have it till taxtime. So I'm stuck. As for the mini reaffirm oil heaters are you referring to the electric heaters that look like radiators? I have some of those... just not really mini.
You are looking at the wrong thing if you think a Kane mat costs $275. You don't need the built in thermostat or rheostat models. Here is one for $119:

The mini radiant oil heaters will fit inside a 2 foot tall insulated box and do a fine job of heating for less money than other options. These are also very efficient, which saves money on the electric bill. The full size ones are too tall.

Huachuca city az
You are looking at the wrong thing if you think a Kane mat costs $275. You don't need the built in thermostat or rheostat models. Here is one for $119:

The mini radiant oil heaters will fit inside a 2 foot tall insulated box and do a fine job of heating for less money than other options. These are also very efficient, which saves money on the electric bill. The full size ones are too tall.
Not 275 for the mat. 275 for the 501c3 application. Which will help me to get donations which will allow me to provide more than i can atm. I am barely going to be able to cover feed this month.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not 275 for the mat. 275 for the 501c3 application. Which will help me to get donations which will allow me to provide more than i can atm. I am barely going to be able to cover feed this month.
I feel your pain. My whole business has been shut down since May, yet we've still had to pay all the bills. I haven't been this broke since college. The strike dragged on for so long that half the business has just sort of shrugged their shoulders as if to say, "Meh... we'll just start up again in the new year..." December is usually our busiest month, but its looking bleak right now.