Glass enclosure or Wood?

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
If you use a glass enclosure, make sure it's big enough. Also, I would put duct tape around the whole outside of the enclosure, since tortoises aren't the smartest and they don't really understand glass... Lol.

I have a wooden table top box for my tort.and ive seen a lot of post about how to keep humidity levels up and such,my tort is a hermanns and has lived in his table top box since ive had him and I haven't controlled the humidity levels,I do spray all around his box with water now and again and ive never had a problem,so I would like to know why so many people get worried over the humidity.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy was in a 60 gallon aquarium until he moved outside . We never had issues with him and his "glass walls" . So I guess he is either really smart , or "glass issues" fall somewhere between non issues and / or urban legends ! :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I currently have a wooden enclosure made. However, I saw this reptile enclosure that is glass with a wooden frame. It's beautiful. Are glass tanks that awful for a tortoise?
Wooden enclosures don't last for modern ways of tort keeping. Wood needs treating for longevity due to modern high humidity techniques. Glass will last forever with humidity and moisture. The only thing for me is that light comes in from every angle of the glass enclosure. This is no good for some species. It's easy to black out 3 sides though. My hatchling hingebacks backs are in a standard wooden viv. It won't last 6 months. Go for glass, but consider blacking some of it out.
Acrylic will be the future. Look on YouTube how to weld acrylic. You can weld any colors together. Buy the sheets and assemble.

von345

Wooden. Glass creates a green house heat that could kill it. The heat has nowhere to go and it keeps getting hotter and hotter. Use a wooden Tortiose table and put a shower curtain over it to hold in the humidity. I have a humidifier I use that I bought off amazon for cheap. This idea has worked perfectly. Also on Amazon you can get a heat and humidity digital thermometer VERY HELPFUl

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Wooden. Glass creates a green house heat that could kill it. The heat has nowhere to go and it keeps getting hotter and hotter. Use a wooden Tortiose table and put a shower curtain over it to hold in the humidity. I have a humidifier I use that I bought off amazon for cheap. This idea has worked perfectly. Also on Amazon you can get a heat and humidity digital thermometer VERY HELPFUl
Glass outside can certainly be dangerous, or even in direct sunlight through a window. But I use them indoors all the time. I make sure they aren't in direct sun and turn into ovens.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
If you let the outside elements effect your indoor set up, it will overeat or dry up. After all that is the very basis a greenhouse works on. I wouldn't put my indoor enclosure in site of a window, it's asking for trouble.