Glass Tank to Closed Chamber?

TortoiseRacket

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Could I take a 40 gallon breeder fish tank, 36x18x16(inches) and then it into a closed chamber? I would paint the sides so it wouldn’t get annoyed. Can I have some tips? Thanks!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You'd be much better off with an Xmas tree tote. Now is the time of year to get them cheap tooIMG_20190101_090922061.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Could I take a 40 gallon breeder fish tank, 36x18x16(inches) and then it into a closed chamber? I would paint the sides so it wouldn’t get annoyed. Can I have some tips? Thanks!

Yes, I have my redfoot hatchling in a 50g aquarium ... the opening is covered in 2 parts:

Part is that double-walled plastic, as is used for political signs that people stick in their yards.

The rest is a sheet of Styrofoam with a hole cut out for Darwin's heat/light source.

With the lid in place, I'm able to hold temp and humidity in the high 80s or better.

The Christmas tree boxes are probably easier, definitely cheaper, but if you've already got the aquarium, it can certainly work.

Jamie

TortoiseRacket

New York
If I took a fogger, course slits in the tube and taped the tube over the tank, do you think I would still need a closed chamber? The fogger would go off every hour, and I would do a deep spray 2-3 times a day. Would that work?

TortoiseRacket

New York
Okay, so, What if I took a screen tank lid, covered it completely with waterproof tape, leave a few screen holes so I can hang a mercury vapor bulb by a piece of string. I’ll mist and humidity it daily. What do you think? I don’t even have a sulcata, but the nice man at the pet store gave me a fresh egg he collected. We’ll see what happens in a few months!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Okay, so, What if I took a screen tank lid, covered it completely with waterproof tape, leave a few screen holes so I can hang a mercury vapor bulb by a piece of string. I’ll mist and humidity it daily. What do you think? I don’t even have a sulcata, but the nice man at the pet store gave me a fresh egg he collected. We’ll see what happens in a few months!
You could do that but no idea if it would work. Uvb does not go through screen, so, you would have to cut holes in the screen. Then you have to completely cover all areas around the lights so humidity and heat can not escape. I did it at first with aluminum foil. It works but not as good as making a cover. With babies, it is critical for temps and humidity to be right.

TortoiseRacket

New York
I’d leave a hole, and hang a light from the bottom of the screen inside the cage, so they could get the UVB. Thanks for all your tips!
I may cut a hole in the screen instead.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 40 is too short to have the lights inside, and having them outside will create a chimney effect and remove your warm humid air from the enclosure, replacing it with cooler, drier room air that you will struggle to heat and humidify.

The only way to make it work is to build something to close it all in like what Cheryl showed.