Global warming and the 'doomsday' glacier

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
A glacier the size of Florida may fall into the ocean sooner or later due to global warming/fossil fuel emissions causing sea level to rise. This means people of south Florida could be underwater in a matter of years.I hate how the government prioritizes profit over people. Then all this warm weather and tornadoes. Sheesh.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
A glacier the size of Florida may fall into the ocean sooner or later due to global warming/fossil fuel emissions causing sea level to rise. This means people of south Florida could be underwater in a matter of years.I hate how the government prioritizes profit over people. Tto scienthen all thisist warm illweather and tornadoes. Sheesh.
Bill Nye is to weather what Fauci is to COVID. Neither have any clue as to what's going on other than to use lies for media attention & political & monetary gain. And no, the Federal Government is not profiting on anything or we wouldn't be $25 trillion, or whatever it is, in debt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A glacier the size of Florida may fall into the ocean sooner or later due to global warming/fossil fuel emissions causing sea level to rise. This means people of south Florida could be underwater in a matter of years.I hate how the government prioritizes profit over people. Then all this warm weather and tornadoes. Sheesh.

Did you not get the memo that the "scientists" and government officials were all lying about "global warming". They got caught, got away with it with no consequences and re-branded the same lies as "climate change" a few years later.

There have always been tornadoes in the mid west. That is why it is called "Tornado Alley". Likewise with hurricanes on the east coast and earthquakes on the west coast.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
There is a now-famous article & pictures that describes a receding glacier, with all the drama and hand-wringing in attendance, it describes how all will be lost within years...............

it was written in 1911 or 1914.....something like that.

Earth evolves, has for 3.6Bil yrs and will continue doing so whether we are here or not...................

I've always said..;

"The thing about smart people is that they know when they are hearing BS, period"

All I know for sure is SOMEONE owes me some money............my home was supposed to be WATERFRONT by now!

LOL

Emmawilly

Plymouth
Am I reading your responses correctly? Are you all saying human impact to climate change isn't a real threat and is just natural evolution of the planet?
Makes me wonder what hope there is if some of the most intelligent people on this forum feel this way.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
climate change is obviously real , the great lakes are said to be left by a melting glacier that was supposed to be something like 2 miles thick , it covered all of canada and the northern US down as far as the ohio river .... i believe this event happened 20,000-50,000 yrs ago ....

i have read articles written about "unprecedented" receding artic ice from 1900 ....... do we have an effect on climate ?i'm sure we do ..... there was a movie where mankind was , imo , accurately described as a "virus to the planet " ..... if greenhouse gas emissions were responsible for arctic ice receding to unprecidented levels in 1900 , we are absolutely doomed regardless of anything we do , short of getting rid of about 7 billion people with the remainder living 3rd world lives ..... .. how much of an effect have we had on climate change , i don't believe anyone knows that answer factually , either way .......

like everything else it's spun for political purposes , to create sides , not to get to facts or solve problems , politics is more about creating problems ...... many political solutions offered and pushed on people are pretty ridiculous , they lack as much common sense as folks that don't believe there is climate change .... ... i think the way it's handled is the problem , not the fact that it is real , or to what degree can we influence it .......... jmo

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I learned in kindergarten that chemicals in aerosol cans were going to destroy the ozone layer within ten years if people didn't stop using them. That was in 1985.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
climate change is obviously real , the great lakes are said to be left by a melting glacier that was supposed to be something like 2 miles thick , it covered all of canada and the northern US down as far as the ohio river .... i believe this event happened 20,000-50,000 yrs ago ....

i have read articles written about "unprecedented" receding artic ice from 1900 ....... do we have an effect on climate ?i'm sure we do ..... there was a movie where mankind was , imo , accurately described as a "virus to the planet " ..... if greenhouse gas emissions were responsible for arctic ice receding to unprecidented levels in 1900 , we are absolutely doomed regardless of anything we do , short of getting rid of about 7 billion people with the remainder living 3rd world lives ..... .. how much of an effect have we had on climate change , i don't believe anyone knows that answer factually , either way .......

like everything else it's spun for political purposes , to create sides , not to get to facts or solve problems , politics is more about creating problems ...... many political solutions offered and pushed on people are pretty ridiculous , they lack as much common sense as folks that don't believe there is climate change .... ... i think the way it's handled is the problem , not the fact that it is real , or to what degree can we influence it .......... jmo
Wise words my friend. Very wise words.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Am I reading your responses correctly? Are you all saying human impact to climate change isn't a real threat and is just natural evolution of the planet?
Makes me wonder what hope there is if some of the most intelligent people on this forum feel this way.
"Climate change" is definitely real. It is happening and has always been happening since before humans existed. It will still be happening long after humans are extinct. How much influence is the current batch of humans having on it? I agree with Mark that no one has that answer.

What the lying Marxists say about "global warming" and "climate change" is largely a big pack of lies. What "they" say to do about it is also a bunch of non-sense. Don't believe everything you see on TV. Most of what the media says these days is propaganda, and they are very successful at it. No one on any side of the political spectrum wants to see the earth polluted and ruined. That benefits no one.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's not hard to find the actual science of climate change:

There is on-going research into climate disinformation:

And, since climate denial is now a popular topic amongst conspiracy theorists, there is on-going research about who is susceptible to the falsehoods of climate denial:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
What about fossil fuels?
the government has been subsidizing alternative energy for like 75 yrs , they still haven't found a logical replacement for fossil fuel ....... there are clean fossil fuel technologies being developed .......... when they figure out a better mousetrap , folks will buy into it willingly .......

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm glad that I go to sleep in my swimming trunks.
And I'm looking forward to having beachfront property.
As Americans we'll do what we always do. Too little too late. And in the meantime feast on the horror of what may or may not happen "soon".
I refuse to let facts stop me from cracking a joke. But the fact is that here in Florida the winters have seemingly disappeared and now every hurricane is a cat 4 or 5.
I'd always hoped that the greenhouse effect would clash with the next ice age and we'd call it a draw.
I'm interested to know what the history books will have to say going ahead another 100 years. But that will be long after everyone in this group has passed. Probably from a different issue.

Let's be careful on this thread. There are no political rants allowed.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
What about fossil fuels?

LOL, the ultimate in Recycling........

I had a plan with the 2 ago admin's 767 dollar Stim for "shovel ready jobs. Yeah, that one....not taking political sides, just wanted you to remember the amount....my calcs said that 767bil could build/power and employ people for 2 years= 12bil a pop= 69 Nuclear power plants.....at a mere 6mil people per plant, we would have given EVERYONE in the country free electricity for two years.................I just wonder if that would have employed far more people, simulated far more opportunities for those less fortunate and provided a direction instead of continuing to flounder in oil?

That's one of the problems, we all have "good ideas"....Mark nailed it though....like what he said or not.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm interested to know what the history books will have to say going ahead another 100 years.
Song lyrics from a self labeled Marxist:

Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now controls the past
Who controls the past now controls the future
Who controls the present now?

We are being lied to every day from all around. History has been re-written and most of us don't even know our own past, much less the past of other cultures. Our children are being indoctrinated and the greatest country on earth, the best example of freedom and human rights that has ever existed on this planet is slipping away from us daily. We are losing the war of words and our culture of freedom is slowly dying. What comes next is not good, even for those who are idiotically working to bring it about.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
They changed the components in aerosols to prevent further degradation didn't they?
And that's all to the good. It didn't adversely affect much of the world population in terms of jobs & basic living essentials. That's innovation. There were no mandates. Standards changed, just like they did with changing the coolants used in air conditioning. Not everyone in the world has air conditioning.

But when you arbitrarily decide to cut off fossil fuels & heighten only "renewables", without looking at what you're going to use for back-up when the wind isn't blowing or the sun isn't shining or at night, you will have to go without power. This is what is happening in California with rolling blackouts. What if you need to charge your electric car that you were ordered to buy? Are we going to end flying by jet or plane? How are we going to get agricultural goods & other food to market? How will you have dairy products if there are no cows?

Much of windmills & solar panels are manufactured in China. Most of the lithium comes from China. You cannot recycle wind mill blades or solar panels. You cannot "store" wind or solar-powered energy. And once again, you are reliant on countries that are not our friends, whether it's oil or solar panels or the materials needed to manufacture renewables equipment. And meanwhile you put millions of Americans out of work.

Mankind has no control over solar flares, volcanoes, earthquake, tsunamis, asteroids & other natural disasters that contribute greatly to pollution, flooding or atmospheric disturbances.

If politicians & elites are correct about the non-stop doomsday world,
why are the same ones buying & building mansions on ocean-front beaches or flying everywhere they go on private jets? Why are they taking limo rides rather than mass transit?

Emmawilly

Plymouth
I agree with what everyone has said; the observations on the changing planet and lying politicians. Those things won't ever change.

But what I don't hear from this thread is a recognition that regardless of the doomsday warnings, lying politicians and evolution of Earth, each of us still has a duty to make small changes or compromises in order to make a lesser impact on the planet and the changing climate.

These are some of the things I'm practicing:
- Turning down heating to 20 °C (just my house, tortoise house still heated to 27°C!)
- Using my dryer less
- Eating less meat
- looking at my travel options, car choices, holiday choices (we used to have 2 cars and a motorhome. We've reduced to one hybrid vehicle and about to sell our other car).
- walking more
- trying not to buy things with palm oil as an ingredient (really hard as it seems to be in everything)
- consuming less things, buying less 'stuff'.
I have a long way to go though....

Forget the politicians. Just concentrate on your own impact and what you do or don't do. Not answerable to anyone but your children and grandchildren.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what everyone has said; the observations on the changing planet and lying politicians. Those things won't ever change.

But what I don't hear from this thread is a recognition that regardless of the doomsday warnings, lying politicians and evolution of Earth, each of us still has a duty to make small changes or compromises in order to make a lesser impact on the planet and the changing climate.
Now all of this I can agree with and get on board. We are on the same page here. Here are some things I do:
-I've been recycling since the 80s. No joke, My neighborhood was one of the first ones to get recycling bins. We had one for cans and bottles and another for newspaper. I'm still recycling today.
-When other despicable humans dump their trash in inappropriate places, I pick it up and throw it away. Been doing this for decades. I've collected 100s of bags and other trash out of my falconry fields, and I regularly haul away dumped trash from the dirt roads near my ranch.
-I have solar panels on my house. Paid for them myself, and I live in one of the sunniest areas on the planet. My meter runs backwards all day nearly every day, and I power my neighbors houses as well as my own during those times.
-I drive fuel efficient cars when possible, and now that they've largely solved all the problems with cost, milage, fast charging, and battery longevity, my next car will likely be electric, and it will charge at home with my solar panels.
-You know how when you turn on the hot water and it takes a while for the hot water to reach the shower? I collect and save that water for irrigation or other purposes instead of letting it flow down the drain. I also collect rain water for rinsing my tortoises after soaks, since it has no minerals and leaves no hard water stains.

I'm sure I'll remember other things too, but its past my bed time now...