Gnat Infestation in Yard = Serious Allergic Reaction

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
Ok, so I went all organic in my back yard and now I'm in a world of trouble. I used peat moss mixed with organic plain garden soil and natural cypress mulch in all my plants, vegetable garden, Daisy's substrate... everything! probably about 1/4 of my yard and patio has that mixture! We have mosquitos and at first that's what I thought was biting me. Each time I get a bite, they get worse and worse. Yesterday after work when I was out in the yard and soaking Daisy, I noticed them swarming and were all over me. I went in the house, got the Bug spray and covered my entire body. Went back in yard and they were swarming worse. Obviously some bit me before and then of course I must have missed some spots... like my EARS! I now have one ear that looks like Dumbo. These bites hurt more than itch and the area is swollen all around the bite about 2 to 3 inches. They are very painful. I'm going to post some pictures in a few minutes and then the research I found about natural ways to fight off these nasty things. More to come! HELP!

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
The bites actually look way worse than in the pictures and I have about 20 of them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I encountered the bugs you are talking about when we were filming near Lake Pontchartrain. We called them mini dobermans. I don't have a solution for you. With all the bad things about CA, one of the good things is that we don't have too many bugs.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Solutions?
(1) Put out a bowl of vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap. The gnats will be attracted to the vinegar but will be trapped by the soap. If you prefer, you can put the solution in a jar, and punch some small holes in the jar lid.
(2) Basil, Lavender, Lemongrass, Lemon Thyme, Mint, Rosemary, Chrysanthemumsm, Marigolds, Nasturtiums, Petunias, Lantana, Pitcher plants
(3) Nemotodes (worms)

I just now had one flying around me in my house! They followed me in... weird thing is... no one else in my family has allergic reactions. They feel a bite, but no redness or swelling.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Solutions?
(1) Put out a bowl of vinegar and add a few drops of dish soap. The gnats will be attracted to the vinegar but will be trapped by the soap. If you prefer, you can put the solution in a jar, and punch some small holes in the jar lid.
(2) Basil, Lavender, Lemongrass, Lemon Thyme, Mint, Rosemary, Chrysanthemumsm, Marigolds, Nasturtiums, Petunias, Lantana, Pitcher plants
(3) Nemotodes (worms)

I just now had one flying around me in my house! They followed me in... weird thing is... no one else in my family has allergic reactions. They feel a bite, but no redness or swelling.
I'm sure I'll have to do all of the above plus anything else anyone recommends. I'm desperate. My husband just said that the entire left side of my face is swollen. If it is still like that tomorrow, I'm going to an Allergist. There is one that works with my ENT that did my sinus surgery. I went for allergy testing about 2 months after my surgery. I had to stay off all allergy meds and my anti-depressants for 2 weeks! I suffered for 2 LONG weeks. Get there for my testing and I had had itchy swollen patches all over and she saw them and said, did you get a bug bite, I said no and they weren't bug bites. It was just reactions to pollen or whatever that rears it's ugly head when I'm off the allergy meds. I begged her to do the test and they refused because they said the test could cause anaphylactic shock. I said.. NO KIDDING! That is why I'm here! I was so mad... all that for 2 weeks and they tell me they can't do the test but can try again in another 2 weeks... UGH--- NO THANK YOU! lol

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I encountered the bugs you are talking about when we were filming near Lake Pontchartrain. We called them mini dobermans. I don't have a solution for you. With all the bad things about CA, one of the good things is that we don't have too many bugs.
Our bugs in South Louisiana must have been imported from the Amazonian Jungle :(

daniellenc

Maryland
Vanilla and lemon oil is good but repel sportsman is best and repel mosquitos too. Citronella spray works as well. My son is allergic to gnat bites and me mosquitoes. Here in humid Maryland where humidity hangs in the 80’s and 90’s half the year bugs are plentiful. I do a mix of vanilla oil and lemon oil cause it smells good and do citronella or repel sportsman on our clothes but not skin.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Thank you Daniel :) - Is there a concoction that I can mix and spray all over my yard? I HATE putting on bug spray and I just want them out of my yard. We have a pool and parties often. They are really pests :(

daniellenc

Maryland
Unfortunately you have water and humidity. You can burn citronella candles but any yard treatment would be short term and spread into tort areas anyway. The oils for your skin aren’t chemical. I use the chemicals on my clothes. Or take one Benedryl before going out. You’ll get bit but won’t react as much.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Unfortunately you have water and humidity. You can burn citronella candles but any yard treatment would be short term and spread into tort areas anyway. The oils for your skin aren’t chemical. I use the chemicals on my clothes. Or take one Benedryl before going out. You’ll get bit but won’t react as much.
Being outside in my yard is my sanctuary, stress relief from a crazy career. This sucks so bad. The only reason I'm not in a mental institution is because I work in my yard! Even on meds, I have to be outside. I need a solution or at least a Band-Aid. I'll try anything (once).

daniellenc

Maryland
Do vanilla and lemon oil on your skin and repel sport on your clothes. You’ll get your D3 time outside for mood and not swell up.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Ow! I swell up terribly from mosquitoes. I know what it is like to be allergic to lots of things. I don't know if this will help but there is an app you can get on your phone that sounds like a dragonfly. It is supposed to scare away mosquitoes. It might work with gnats too.