Going out of town :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I am going out of town for 5 days and 4 nights.

I have bought a timer for my russian tortoises lamps.
he has a pool to swim in and places to hide and sleep.

Do you think i need a tortoise-sitter?
Or should I just keep him stocked with a lot of food.
Troubles never seems to over eat he usually walks away uninterested when he's full even if he hasn't finished all his food.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
For a situation like you describe, I would not have an attendant. I am usually more concerned that good intentions from unfamiliar people could lead to bad results.

The animals are quite tough. When you return, it will be like you never left.

This all assumes there are no flipping hazards near heat sources, of course.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I agree that he will be fine. I recently had a bad experience with a good friend tort-sitting :-/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I disagree. That is too many days in my opinion. I am all for leaving them with no caretaker for no more then two nights. 4-5 days is too long. If you leave instructions, which really, all they have to do is change water, give food, and look at him to make sure he us upright, there shouldn't be a problem. I think you would be better off with a caretaker then without one.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how will you keep food fresh? Unless there are plants planted in his spot... Id say have someone come at least twice to peek in and check..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I always worry the tort will flip over, etc.
So if someone just LOOKED at the tort once per day and filled the water dish?
It would have to be someone you trust.
If you feed him all he wants for a couple of days before you leave, he can do without food for 4 days (feed the am you leave).

I have also seen on Russiantortoise.org that you can just turn the lights off as long as background temps will be >60, and they will burrow for a few days. That does not seem ideal if you can work it out otherwise.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
We left our 3 for 10 days in there outdoor enclosure while we flew back to the Uk, over 5000 miles away and they were fine :) they was all sorts of weather to apparently!! We had people check in on them everyday feeding/bathing etc and all was good, on the rainey days they apparently hid away for the majority of it but occasionally they came out and enjoyed it haa

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree that having someone look in to top up the water and check they are the right way up is a good idea.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thank you for the advice everyone!
I would probably feel better having someone just check in
Troubles never flips himself over but i would hate for the first time it happens be when im gone. I love him so much I just want him to be happy and healthy :tort: <3

Status
Not open for further replies.