Golden Greek- outdoor temp questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGreekPhoebe

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
tiggs and phoebe 003B.jpg

Hello all!

Phobe is my Golden Greek tortoise. Attached was taken in Dec 2004 (that's Mr Tiggs w/her). I bought her at a reptile show in Feb 2004; vendor told me was female, approx 5-6 years and wild caught. I keep other reptiles and did basic research prior to getting her, but I had no concept of how bored she would get in the indoor habitat.

We live in central Indiana and do have an outdoor pen for Phoebe for when the weather is permitting. In prior years I would not leave her out at night or on days when I wasn't home, but in order to give her the outdoor time she deserves I am changing this practice.

That being said, the days are beautiful but the nighttime temps are dropping to 58-65. If I bring her in at night because it may be too cold then, becuase of the temp first thing in the morning, I can't get her back out until after I get home from work - when all the good sun is gone.

As most of you probably know, information on this topic varies greatly. Anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to deprive Phoebe of her outdoor time, but I don't want to hurt her either.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
College Station, TX
I don't think it'll be a problem as long as you can get him inside before the temperature gets below 60. Probably will have dig in for the night, so it may take some digging around to find them some nights. The colder it is the deeper they will have dug in for the night, and the earlier they will start digging in as well. It won't really hurt them in the 50's, but you'll find they'll start digging in enough to hibernate when the temps get down in that range.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
From your picture Phoebe doesn't look like a Golden greek to me. Knowing the subspecies will determine how low a temperature your tortoise can take at night.
If you could post new pictures of her carapace (straight down on), plastron (straight on) and head, we can give a go at determining her subspecies.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.