Golden Greek v. Ibera Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

ems1016

5 Year Member
I was just hoping someone might confirm the accuracy of my homework for, what I hope will be, my choice for a first tortoise from one of your esteemed members. It is my understanding that the Golden Greek tortoises are burrowers while the Ibera are not; true? I realize that the Ibera will dig and lay under the surface, but they appear not to be the big burrowers that the Golden are.

Lastly, I have seen pics of Ibera that are of a golden nature. So it is possible to procure an Ibera that is of a golden tone?

Thanks for your assistance.
Eddie

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
No Greek subspecies are burrowers. Some may use the burrow of other animals as shelter, but none dig burrows themselves. Golden Greeks are not a subspecies unto themselves. The term "Golden Greek" is a common name given to tortoises from about a half dozen different subspecies of Middle Eastern and African subspecies that have little to no dark markings. They may come from any number of geographical locations within the vast range of the Greeks.
Ibera are a subspecies of their own. Many researchers consider them a species of their own and not a subspecies of Gracea.
Golden, more appropriately yellow, Ibera offspring from yellow adults are available in captivity. I have yellow Ibera adults that have been producing offspring for over 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.