Gonna Get a Rupert

Status
Not open for further replies.

repurt_lover

5 Year Member
Hello, I don't exactly have a tortoise yet, but my husband and i are going to purchase a Russian at the end of September. We have already decided on his name: Rupert. We have found a reliable pet store in our town that we were recommended to by a healthy leopard tortoise owner (which is actually our downtown library believe it or not) whom have captive bread russians and are doing much research as to how to take care of our tortoise. The only majorly conflicting information I am getting is on the type of substrate to use. So people (and books) are informing me that it is ok to use alfalfa pellets and others are recommending against it. I have heard of using sand with the wettened coconut bricks but then I read that they can eat the sand and get very sick. As far as the alfalfa pellets some say that can eat it and some say that it will also make them sick. I am just a little confused and would like to hear from actual tortoise owners who have some experience caring for their little guys (or "big" guys I guess)! Any help would be great. Thank you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi "Repurt_Lover":

Welcome to the forum!!

(If you'd like our forum owner to correct your user name from (Repurt) to Rupert, just send him an email or a private message and he can do that for you)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum :)
Alfalfa pellets is not a good choice of substrate since it is dry and if your little one eats it, it would be bad since it is full of protein. A lot of people here have Russians, I am sure they will be able to help you to find the best substrate for your little one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.