Good Beginner Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Are marginated torts good for beginners? I'm asking because I got one today and it was me first. The guy at the vivarium said they were pretty good, but I'm still not sure... Also, if anyone has any good names for her, I haven't decided on one.

Attachments

• image-881839423.png
    image-881839423.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 194
  • image-2141991649.png
    image-2141991649.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 166

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would to have to say no. I never owned one before. I would suggest doing lots of research. Im sure there are members. Here that will help you out. He does look like he has pyramiding. Good luck. I hope you and your tort have many happy years together...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't own a marginated tort, but I've seen what they should look like. And, in my opinion, this one is very pyramided. Now, that's not saying that she's sick or anything. In some cases, is purely cosmetic; but, the condition gives us an idea of the kind of care she had from the beginning. I don't think she's been given ideal living conditions. If she's otherwise healthy, then depending on how old she really is, she may have time to smooth out some of those lumps over the years. I hope you were able to search some of the threads on these torts and what to do for them to keep them healthy. Best to you and your new tort. BTW, she's really cute.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I agree about the pyramiding!
Researching will help...so the shell
doesn't get worse. He is very pretty!
Enjoy your new guy! :) :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Same as above. I don't remember too many members with them. However, I do believe Kerryann has one. Send her a pm if someone with more knowledge of them then any of us don't post here.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Go to the species section on Marginated Tortoises and read as much as you can. You can PM members who have them for more information.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Pyramiding

I just got a marginated tortoise today, posted some pics, and was told BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE that she has this thing called pyramiding. I don't know what it is and I don't know how to stop, slow down, or do whatever you do to make your tortoise feel better. I'd really appreciate it if you guys told me how to help it.

Note from Moderator: I merged the pyramiding thread into this one. Sorry for any confusion.

Attachments

• image-1269308836.png
    image-1269308836.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 101

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
RE: Pyramiding

Please type in the search box in the upper right hand corner...pyramiding.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

pyramiding is when the scutes on your tort's carapace is growing like lumps on his shell. This is a result of either little hydration, poor diet, or lack of adequate exercise. Probably, he's had a combination of all. Do you know how old is your tort, and what kind of condition his environment was in when you got him? How much does he weigh? There are ways you can try and correct further pyramiding by making sure his enclosure is humid enough. Do you have a gauge to register humidity and heat in the enclosure? If not, I suggest you get one. What are you using for heat and UVB lighting? If you have a coil type bulb, I would return it and get a mercury vapor bulb (MVB) for uvb rays. Also, for heat, I would use a (CHE) ceramic heat emitter for night time heat. Since it doesn't give out light, your tort will get the heat it needs without the lights being on. Please update the information requested.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

mainey34 said:
Pyramiding is caused by poor husbandry...
What causes this is lack of hydration (humidity) poor diet, not enough exercise, none or not enough sunlight. In your case the humidity from what i have read only needs to be somewhere near the 40%. Did the store where you bought your tort give you an aprox. Age? You cant get rid of the pyramiding. It is cosmetic. It is not a health issue. You can only stop it from continuing to pyramiding. The key factors are and this is where you are going to have to do your research. A good diet consisting of good greens, i also read that they eat fruits. You need to research that. Spray down your enclosure get your humidity to where it needs to be. I would buy a humidity gauge. Also try doing forced soakes at least 2-3 times a week. Weather permitting. Get your
tort outside as much as possible. The sunlight will help.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

The shell is supposed to be smooth with no bumps.
Like stated above, do research!!!! You need something
for humidity, the right food and lighting.

I just assumed you already knew
what pyramiding was....sorry! I just
thought you researched before getting
a tortoise. He was not cared for properly
at the pet store. You have him now so you
can give him everything he needs.

What are your temps and what do you use
for humidity?....and UVB(sunlight)?

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Do you understand what pyramiding is
now and did you do research on it so
you can help your tortoise?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Chinque said:
I just got a marginated tortoise today, posted some pics, and was told BY MULTIPLE PEOPLE that she has this thing called pyramiding. I don't know what it is and I don't know how to stop, slow down, or do whatever you do to make your tortoise feel better. I'd really appreciate it if you guys told me how to help it.

Hey it's okay to not know everything right out of the box. There is a lot, I mean a whole heck of a lot to learn about tortoises, their needs and their care. Some of us have been doing this for more years then you have even been around and guess what? We are still learning too. What counts the most is being open to keep learning and it sounds like you are. You have been given some really good posts filled with questions that will help us to really give you some good ideas as what needs to be done from this point on. So let's get those answers, so folks can give you the valuable information your needing. :)

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Jacqui said:
Chinque said:

Hey it's okay to not know everything right out of the box. There is a lot, I mean a whole heck of a lot to learn about tortoises, their needs and their care. Some of us have been doing this for more years then you have even been around and guess what? We are still learning too. What counts the most is being open to keep learning and it sounds like you are. You have been given some really good posts filled with questions that will help us to really give you some good ideas as what needs to be done from this point on. So let's get those answers, so folks can give you the valuable information your needing. :)

WELL SAID JACQUI! :) :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

mainey34 said:
mainey34 said:
What causes this is lack of hydration (humidity) poor diet, not enough exercise, none or not enough sunlight. In your case the humidity from what i have read only needs to be somewhere near the 40%. Did the store where you bought your tort give you an aprox. Age? You cant get rid of the pyramiding. It is cosmetic. It is not a health issue. You can only stop it from continuing to pyramiding. The key factors are and this is where you are going to have to do your research. A good diet consisting of good greens, i also read that they eat fruits. You need to research that. Spray down your enclosure get your humidity to where it needs to be. I would buy a humidity gauge. Also try doing forced soakes at least 2-3 times a week. Weather permitting. Get your
Im not sure what happened, why the underlining..sorry about that...also. sorry if i sounded short. Had a poopy dog accident going on at that exact time. I probablly. Should have just waited. But please accept my. Apologies....

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

mainey34 said:
mainey34 said:
mainey34 said:
Im not sure what happened, why the underlining..sorry about that...also. sorry if i sounded short. Had a poopy dog accident going on at that exact time. I probablly. Should have just waited. But please accept my. Apologies....
I thot u were fine. Great information! You are helping her and giving her the advice she needs. :)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
They have similar care to a Russian tortoise. The food is the same for both. Your baby is pyramided for sure but if you change the elements it wont mean bad health. What do you have it living in and what is your lighting set up? Also I would vary the food between many greens as described below. My marginated tortoise has the sweetest most easy going personality. I don't know if that is just him or it is a marginated thing.
My set up is a huge short lizard tank 4ft x2 ft but Henry is almost too big for it now. He has a uvb tube lamp (like on an aquarium hood style light made for UVB light) and a basking bulb. Both lights stay on about 12-14 hours a day.
His diet varies from week to week but includes:
Green and red leaf lettuces
Kale
Turnip greens
mustard greens
collard greens
dandelion
some chard- he doesn't really like it but I give it in small amounts
raddichio
endive
escarole
there are probably other things I am not thinking of also.
Henry loves anything red in color so the raddichio is his favorite.
I alternate weeks so one week will be like red leaf lettuce and raddichio, the next week will be dandelion and escarole, so that he gets a good variety.
My marginated drinks a lot of water, he empties his bowl almost daily and he loves bathes. I think they need more hydration than a Russian for sure. I even keep his tank a bit more humid than my Russians.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
I have seen a few people in other post saying they are not the best for first time owners but mine who is a year old took 4 weeks to settle in but now is the most sweetness thing and is not hard work, where my sulcata who is the same age is more harder work and more worrying for me as is mad!!! But wouldn't have either any other way!!!

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Awwww, I was really hoping that she didn't have pyramiding... 😢. I looked it up and I'm still confused...McCain someone please help me? Also, I decided to name her Rosie! 😊🌹

Status
Not open for further replies.