good exotic pet vet for leopard tort in houston tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

iridedumped

5 Year Member
i wasnt sure where to post this, but i was looking for a reliable exotic pet vet for my 6 month old leopard tort in HOUSTON tx. perhaps someone knows one that knows a great deal about tortoises. or has taken their own tort to get medical attention.

my torts symptoms are. he doesnt open his eyes. cant eat, because he cant see the food. seems like he has real bad coordination, cuz even though i have a lot of food infront of him he still misses when he does try to take a bite. his shell also seems to ba getting softer on the bottom. i soak him everyday now, cuz he no longer drinks from his water bowl. he is also quarantined

ENCLOSURE:
i use aspen beding as his substrate. he usually drinks from his water bowl, but if not i soak him usually every other day. he's been eating a mix of romaine lettuce, collard greens, and turnip greens, or occasionally dole spring mix. i also use rep-cal calcium powder every other day and i give him rep-cal vitamins once a week. for lighting i use an exxo terra 10.0 uvb coil bulb and a 100 watt spotlight bulb. the temp stays around 95-99 directly under the spotlight. humidity is 55%-75% during the day and about 80% at night. i also use a tropic-aire reptile humidifier to keep the humidity up and occasionally mist the substrate.

decent pricing would be a great bonus

any suggestions on anything i could do to help my tort is also appreciated.
thanks in advance

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I can just about guarantee that the problem is the coil light. They have a history of causing eye, as well as other health problems. Which tort is having problems? Please turn the coil light off ASAP. He is better with none than with a coil or a compact. Can you take him outside for some natural sun? Make sure to soak him every day til he gets past this. Add a jar of baby food carrots to the warm soaking water. You can also get some 8 N 1 bird vitamins & put a few drops in the soaking water...just enough to color the water.

Check www.herpvetconnection.com for a vet near you.
Good luck
Patsy

sendie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lake Jackson, TX
I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Larry White at Briarcrest Veterinary. His number is 713-789-8320. He is wonderful! He keeps tortoises himself and has for years. I had bought a leopard baby a few years ago in Waco and it was very sick and he took 24/7 care of it for me, even calling me personally on a Sunday afternoon to update me.
Good luck with your baby!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
When you get rid of the coil bulb, I would reccomend getting either a powersun 100W or a Trex 100W bulb for heat and UVB combined....and IMO any baby under 1 year of age should also have their food dusted with Calcium at every single feeding...every day. Their shells go soft so quickly....

Good luck with your baby! I hope he gets better soon

iridedumped

5 Year Member
thank you K9KidsLove for your suggestion on changing the coil bulb. ill turn it off right away. is the heat bulb im using ok for the uva?

thanks sendie for your vet recommendation. if he doesn't show any improvement soon i will take him.

thanks Meg90 on your bulb reccomendations.

im hoping this the solution

Status
Not open for further replies.