good foods you can buy at supermarket ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Can anyone tell me what I can buy at the supermarket that is good food source for a Mediterranean ? I get her collard greens from there but thats all really and out door vegetation is still a bit spare until sun comes so im looking for readily available goodness ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Grocery store foods should be a last resort in my opinion. If this is the point you have reached then use a lot of variety. Endive and escarole are great. Also try cilantro, mustard greens, watercress, turnip greens, carrot tops.... The list is endless. Feed all sorts of leafy greens.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
That list goes on forever. If you can't get the needed food until you have some outdoor vegetation growing, you could try Mazuri. There is no species it doesn't work with, and it has great results. It could be a supplement to a healthy diet, or you could use it in full, as some keepers do, until you have more availability.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I've found some super fantastic, nutrition-packed tortoise foods at grocery stores, but its hit and miss, depending on whats available in your area and how good your store's produce department is. Some of the better things I've found at grocery stores for tortoises include collard greens, prickly pear cactus pads, wheat grass, turnip greens, dandelion greens, bok choy, grapes leaves, and clover sprouts. These are all amazing foods, but, like I said, depends on your local grocer.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What area of the world do you live? My local stores don't have much but they normally stock the spring mix, turnip greens, collard greens, and kale. They also have things like chinese cabbage, cactus, and bok choy which is okay every once in awhile. Carrot tops are good and even giving the carrot itself once a month is fine and helps with beak wear. Even romaine and redleaf lettuce is good as part of the variety. By variety I mean this week you buy for example turnip greens, you use it up, next time perhaps mustard greens, feed that until it's gone and then maybe the next time go with romaine. So variety does not have to happen each and every meal. Just like changing the food value around is fine. It's the over all picture you need to look for.

Soon there should be weeds appearing outside (like dandelions, clover, plantain), leaves on mulberry trees and grape vines, flower blooms to treat them with.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use organic spring mix (which has endive, raddichio(sp) and a bunch of other greens), dandelions, mushrooms, bananas, grapes and other stuff,...(this is for the Redfoot and the RESs) once we get goodies growing on the property they will get those goodies mixed in as well...:D

Monkee Boughan

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for advice . I live in London and the park over the road has just started to sprout small dandelions so once there is a bit of sun ill get stuff from there

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just be sure first that the park does not use any kind of chemical or fertilizer on it's grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.