Good Grasses for Sulcatas to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello, I am new to this forum. We recently acquired a 2 year old Sulcata and a 5 year old Sucalta. We have had Desert Tortoises in the past, however due to the size the Sulcatas can get, we traded our Desert Torotises for the Sulcatas that friends had.

In feeding the Sulcatas, I have been told to give them a mixture of Orchard Grass, Bermuda and Alfalfa Grass. But, I am reading that Alfalfa might not be good for the Sulcatas. Can anyone tell me if they can have alfalfa mixed with Orchard and Bermuda? The substrate in their turtle house is also bermuda grass. Bermuda okay as a bedding?

David

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
A great site for sulcata's is the sulcata station, they have a lot of information on thier site. http://www.sulcata-station.org/ Stay away from Alphalpha to much protein. Here is the diet they say to give to sulcatas...

1. Grasses

Grasses should make up at least 75% of your sulcata tortoise's diet. You should try to supply as many different grasses as you can from the following list:

Buffalo grass (Buchloe dactyloides)
Bermuda grass (Cynodon dactylon -- which actually originated in Africa!)
Orchardgrass (Dactylis glomerata)
Big Bluestem (Andropogon gerardii)
Little Bluestem (Andropogon scoparious)
Western wheatgrass (Agropyron smithii)
Blue Grama (Bouteloua gracilis)
Arizona Fescue (Festuca arizonica)
Lawn Fescue (Festuca arundinacea)
Sheep Fescue (Festuca ovina)
Creeping Red Fescue (Festuca rubra)

The best way to provide the grass-based diet that a sulcata requires is to have a large, safely-enclosed outdoor yard in which you can plant various types of grasses for your sulcata to graze on. This will allow your tortoise to graze at will, while he gets exercise and exposure to sunlight. Owners who can provide a tortoise yard don't have to worry about overfeeding, or whether the tortoise is getting enough UV exposure.

2. Edible Weeds, Leaves, and Flowers

These items should make up the remaining 25% of the diet, if possible. Make sure that any plants you feed to your tortoise have not been treated with chemical fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. If you buy a plant from a large chain store like Lowe's, Home Depot, Do-It-All, etc., re-pot the plant in organic potting soil and wait a couple of months to feed the plant to your tortoises -- it will take a while for all the fertilizers and/or pesticides used by the store to leach out of the plant. Here are some recommended plants for sulcata tortoises:

Dandelion -- both the yellow flowers and the leaves
Prickly Pear Cactus pads (Opuntia species) -- You can scrape off the needles with a sharp knife or burn them off by holding the pad over the flame of a gas or propane camp stove.
Broadleaf Plaintain or Buckhorn Plantain (Plantago major or Plantago lanceola)
Globe Mallow (Sphaeralcea grossulariaefolia) -- flowers and leaves
London Rocket or Tumble Mustard -- leaves only; they tend to reject the flowers
Henbit (Lamium amplexicaule) -- flowers and leaves
Hollyhock (Alcea rosea) -- flowers and leaves
Roses (Rosa species) -- flowers only
Sowthistle
Chickweed
Hibiscus (Hibiscus species) -- flowers and leaves
Mulberry (Morus species) -- leaves only; give the mulberry fruit to box turtles.
Geranium (Pelargonium species) -- leaves and flowers
Grape -- leaves only; give the fruit to box turtles or make wine!

3. (OPTIONAL) Vegetables

Use these only as special treats for your tortoise. This means you can feed these items in SMALL quantities, and only once per week at most. These items are NOT necessary, but they can serve as a nice treat for your tortoise, or a way to get them to eat calcium and vitamin supplements:

Dark leafy greens such as:

Romaine Lettuce
Arugula
Mustard Greens
Collard Greens
Turnip Greens
Dandelion Greens
Chicory

As discussed above, many dark leafy greens do contain significant levels of oxalic acid that can inhibit calcium absorption. This is why these items are listed as OPTIONAL, and why they should only be given in small quantities as treats.

Pumpkin -- Used occasionally, this is a beneficial food since pumpkin contains mannitol, a natural deworming compound. We use canned pumpkin puree as a way to get calcium supplements into our tortoises. Each tortoise receives a couple of spoonfuls of canned pumpkin mixed with a heaping spoonful of calcium carbonate once a week as a treat.

Whole pumpkins are a good seasonal food. When the pumpkins ripen in the fall, purchase a small one for your tortoise. You don't need to cook it or peel off the rind before giving to your sulcata, but you should remove the seeds beforehand. Cut the pumpkin into small chunks, and give a few to your tortoise. Freeze what you don't use immediately; even though the chunks tend to get stringy after being thawed, your tortoise will still love them as an occasional treat, rind and all.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. Good info. I will check out that website further. Thanks.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have been doing alot of reading, and one of the article i read stated that it was not good, like the Alphalfa that I just bought.

Anyone want a large bag of Alphalfa, in La Habra, ca.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Timothy is not bad, but I thought Sulcatas couldn't have veggies that much if at all? If I am wrong please correct me, I like to make sure I have my info straight.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
a la habran! nice! i grew up in brea and went to la habra schools

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hill Country, TX
I’ve read and feed my sulcatas only carrots and cucumber as far as veggies go. They get one or the other in very small quantities. About 10% of there diet in all. They get a mixture of kale and greens in the morning and then go out side into the flower box to munch on clover, Bermuda, and dandelion when I get home from work.

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think I can take it back. I am just going to give it to a friend that has horses.

Our Sulcatas are 5 years old and 2 years old. Until about two weeks ago, they have been eating Romaine Lettuce everyday. We just got them from a friend and we are changing their diet to more grasses.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
aka2tal said:
I don't think I can take it back. I am just going to give it to a friend that has horses.

Our Sulcatas are 5 years old and 2 years old. Until about two weeks ago, they have been eating Romaine Lettuce everyday. We just got them from a friend and we are changing their diet to more grasses.

do your sulcata's have any pyramiding? got any pics of them?

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
great post and thank you very much!

my sister lives in the colorado mountains on a cattle ranch - they're haying right now (earlier it was clover, not sure what they're baling now). She's coming to visit in november and I'm going to ask her for a short bale of clover - but thats not on the list.. is it OK for my tort?

thanks

teri

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I will take some pictures and post them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.