Good groundcover options. South Fla Zone 10/11

SanctuaryHills

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
So I picked the new site for my new "state of the art" tortoise shed, and after removing the ground cover that was on there now I'm wondering what to seed in this spot that the tortoises will like to chomp on.

Preferably something that either stays low (like clover) or that I can mow down to keep under control. If you are wondering why not grass, well they already have lots of that. I want something more exotic for them!

Throughout the yard at large they I've been planting assorted plants I know they like, such as hibiscus, ferns, pickle pears etc.

It's this specific spot I'm wondering about.

Any thoughts?

20220521_174102.jpg

20220521_182444.jpg

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I'd just get some bermuda grass growing there. You are going to need a LOT of grass for 6 aldabras. I'd plant as many cactus cuttings as you can too. Talk you friends and family into growing it for you too.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I'd just get some bermuda grass growing there. You are going to need a LOT of grass for 6 aldabras. I'd plant as many cactus cuttings as you can too. Talk you friends and family into growing it for you too.
Thank you for the response! They have about half an acre at the moment with plenty of grass to much on. That's why I wanted to vary their diet a bit with something different on this little spot. I hear they love dandelions!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Whatever you plant, you might want to consider rotating enclosures so that the grass. Etc can grow in one that is not being used while the other is IN USE...And getting eaten and trampled to dust.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you for the response! They have about half an acre at the moment with plenty of grass to much on. That's why I wanted to vary their diet a bit with something different on this little spot. I hear they love dandelions!
If you have seen them eat dandelions, there's the answer.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
How about a nice banana plantation. I find that our Sulcata LOVES banana leaves. Plant a bunch of pups, fence it off for a year or so, the banana leaves will provide a good source of food/fiber different than grass.