Good idea for an 8x5 foot open enclosure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Someone on another reptile site mentioned that they found a mini pool on amazon and was asking if it was an okay enclosure.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-8-...Above-Ground-Backyard-Swimming-Pool/561475045
This seems like a pretty good, easy, cheap way to set up an enclosure for smaller species, or even to use as an outdoor enclosure. Can anyone think of any cons?
Sound like a cool idea. I wonder how well the liner would hold up though, being a cheap pool and all.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I'd be curious to see how it holds up if you hear of someone willing to try. Seems like a good easy way to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one thing I don't like is the high sides for a small species. Over heating could be a problem with now breeze getting low to tort level. Also if it's for a digging species, would the liner hold up? Other then those concerns it might be a good idea.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The one thing I don't like is the high sides for a small species. Over heating could be a problem with now breeze getting low to tort level. Also if it's for a digging species, would the liner hold up? Other then those concerns it might be a good idea.

Are 2 foot tall sides really much of a problem? Wouldn’t adding in a very thick substrate later fix it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are 2 foot tall sides really much of a problem? Wouldn’t adding in a very thick substrate later fix it?
sorry didn't read the specs just looked at the pic and looks higher then two feet.
So to answer,2 feet shouldn't be a problem and adding substrate would help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think those sides would hold up very well for very long with anything bigger than a baby.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I don't think those sides would hold up very well for very long with anything bigger than a baby.

I would think that water and people would apply more force than a small tortoise. However, Curtis DID manage to accidentally dig through the flex seal at the bottom of his enclosure. Although, it was a pretty thin coat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would think that water and people would apply more force than a small tortoise. However, Curtis DID manage to accidentally dig through the flex seal at the bottom of his enclosure. Although, it was a pretty thin coat.
Water and people would certainly apply more pounds per square inch, but we don't have the sharp little nails and strong legs meant for digging in rock hard soil. I can't dig through house walls or push under a chain link fence, but a tortoise easily can do either.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Water and people would certainly apply more pounds per square inch, but we don't have the sharp little nails and strong legs meant for digging in rock hard soil. I can't dig through house walls or push under a chain link fence, but a tortoise easily can do either.

Ah, good point.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I really want to try this out, but I don’t think my parents would be too happy if I moved another animal and giant enclosure into my room, lol. Hopefully the person in the other reptile site will get it and be able to tell us how it goes.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I really want to try this out, but I don’t think my parents would be too happy if I moved another animal and giant enclosure into my room, lol. Hopefully the person in the other reptile site will get it and be able to tell us how it goes.
You must have one helluva room if you can fit that thing in there! Lol