Good Morning.. A few Pictures and questions for PiccaDilly

Jamee

Location (City and/or State)
North Eastern Pennsylvania
First things first.. PiccaDilly is doing amazing!! I have his enclosure up to between 90% and 95% humidity.. This is ok right? or should I keep it more towards 90%.. His ambient temp stays around 80 but drops to 78 over night, no lower, is this ok also? I did order a thermostat for his heat emitter bulb and it should be here within a couple of days. We live in North Eastern Pennsylvania between Philly and the Poconos so it is still fairly cool during the days. The most we have hit is 70 degrees. What temp is to cool to take the babies out in (obviously lower temps aren't good) for the sunshine?? Today should be a high of 69 and partly cloudy. Yesterday was sunny and warm 70'sish so we went outside for an hour. I do have to add another layer of pavers on top of the border because he is so darn strong he pulled himself right up there. He is never,ever alone outside, I mean EVER!! He is supervised at all times because he is so small!! He eats like a champ!! I included some pictures for everyone to enjoy!!

Attachments

• April202017.jpg
    April202017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 23

Bee62

Germany
First things first.. PiccaDilly is doing amazing!! I have his enclosure up to between 90% and 95% humidity.. This is ok right? or should I keep it more towards 90%.. His ambient temp stays around 80 but drops to 78 over night, no lower, is this ok also? I did order a thermostat for his heat emitter bulb and it should be here within a couple of days. We live in North Eastern Pennsylvania between Philly and the Poconos so it is still fairly cool during the days. The most we have hit is 70 degrees. What temp is to cool to take the babies out in (obviously lower temps aren't good) for the sunshine?? Today should be a high of 69 and partly cloudy. Yesterday was sunny and warm 70'sish so we went outside for an hour. I do have to add another layer of pavers on top of the border because he is so darn strong he pulled himself right up there. He is never,ever alone outside, I mean EVER!! He is supervised at all times because he is so small!! He eats like a champ!! I included some pictures for everyone to enjoy!!

Hello,

the humidity is a little bit to high. 85 - 90 % should be o.k. too.
I think you mean the warmth in the whole enclosure is 80 F and under the basking spot higher ( 100 F )? That would be right.
As you wrote the warmth should never drop under 78 F at night.

70 F outside is too cold for a little baby sulcata. When you have 70 F in the air you mayby only have 60 F on the ground. That will make your baby tort sick.
Natural sun is the best for tortoises but it must be warm enough for them, and beware of predators. Every crow or raven could kill your little tort or hurt it badly.
I wish you good luck with your Piccadilly. He is a cute little tort.

Jamee

North Eastern Pennsylvania
Finally got the temp (80 to 85) and humidity (80-82) right!!! Still waiting on the thermostat which will make life a lot easier!!! YEAH!!! His basking spot reaches about 100 to 102. Thank you for info about outdoor temps @Bee62 .. I was wondering about that! Wednesday we are supposed to hit 89 so he will spend an hour outside with me!!

Bee62

Germany
Finally got the temp (80 to 85) and humidity (80-82) right!!! Still waiting on the thermostat which will make life a lot easier!!! YEAH!!! His basking spot reaches about 100 to 102. Thank you for info about outdoor temps @Bee62 .. I was wondering about that! Wednesday we are supposed to hit 89 so he will spend an hour outside with me!!

Great ! I am sure your cute baby tort grow up healthy !

Regards
Sabine