Good Morning all - Angulata Chersina

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
Okay. Good to know. I am trying to learn as much as possible.
At this point I think its fair to say that we are learning more from your observations than you are from us , but that's what this forum is all about!

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Did you hatch out the other baby? What protocol are you following for the current egg?

Love Chersina

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Did you hatch out the other baby? What protocol are you following for the current egg?

Love Chersina
The egg is still incubating and the current one is in a tupperware with the soil covering it about 75% . The soil was taken from the site where the mom layed it. Will keep an eye on it and closer to the time will transfer to a cleaner tub with carlton paper.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The egg is still incubating and the current one is in a tupperware with the soil covering it about 75% . The soil was taken from the site where the mom layed it. Will keep an eye on it and closer to the time will transfer to a cleaner tub with carlton paper.
What temperature are you incubating it at? What type of incubator are you using?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
What temperature are you incubating it at? What type of incubator are you using?
Hi Tom
I don't have an incubator I am using a tupperware with the lid. Temp is between 28 c and 30 c. And at night it drops to about 24c . As I switch all lights off. The tupperware is kept on the one end of my enclosure. However the most recent egg found I have been thinking about and have been wondering if it would not be better to go and bury it back in the spot where I found it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom
I don't have an incubator I am using a tupperware with the lid. Temp is between 28 c and 30 c. And at night it drops to about 24c . As I switch all lights off. The tupperware is kept on the one end of my enclosure. However the most recent egg found I have been thinking about and have been wondering if it would not be better to go and bury it back in the spot where I found it?
At this stage, I think I would keep the egg where it is. We humans don't do as good of a job burying and concealing the eggs as tortoises do.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
From others I know hatching them, I think your temps are fine. 30c during the day and a drop to 25 or 26 at night.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
From others I know hatching them, I think your temps are fine. 30c during the day and a drop to 25 or 26 at night.
Thank you Dan. Your input is always very much appreciated as well. Between you and Tom and a few others, I have been so blessed with so much help. And I don't think I can say thank you enough.[emoji4]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. Are the temps okay?
I have never hatched this species, but from what I know other species, those temps should be fine.

What I'm wondering is if the eggs of this species need a cooling period. I suspect they do. My South African Leopards do. For some species, if there is not a diapause (Winter), the eggs will not develop. My SA leopards lay in spring and summer. If left underground in the nest over winter, the eggs will then begin to incubate and develop in summer. It can take up to 18 months. Explained another way: If eggs are laid in April of 2017, they will not begin to develop in summer of 2017, even though the temps are warm enough over summer. The eggs will stay underground through winter of 2017/2018 and then when temps warm up enough in May/June of 2018, the eggs will begin to develop and eventually hatch in September/October 2018.

@Sterant I don't think I've ever asked anyone. Do Chersina need a diapause?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Nobody I have spoken with uses or even mentioned a cooling period. (but that doesn't mean much)

The most comprehensive list of incubation protocols, and the resultant incubation period that I have found is here:

http://startortoises.net/angulate-incubation.html

This also concurs with 4 or 5 discussions I have had. Some use a night drop, some don't. Some have a particular humidity regimen, some don't.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Nobody I have spoken with uses or even mentioned a cooling period. (but that doesn't mean much)

The most comprehensive list of incubation protocols, and the resultant incubation period that I have found is here:

http://startortoises.net/angulate-incubation.html

This also concurs with 4 or 5 discussions I have had. Some use a night drop, some don't. Some have a particular humidity regimen, some don't.
It makes sense. As the very first egg I did not see anything for a very long time. It was only around the 30th of October when I checked again and I noticed some veins, pic 1 and 2. I will post that pic here and then pics 3 snd 4 were taken again on the 5th of December. I candled the egg again the other night and did not see any difference to the pics taken on the 5th December. I am going to carry on watching it. IMG-20171031-WA0000.jpgIMG-20171030-WA0001.jpgIMG-20171205-WA0002.jpgIMG-20171205-WA0003.jpg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
In the interest of learning can i ask why you would say she is an older girl? And why would she lay the egg on top of the ground next to the hole she dug. She laid another egg the next day and got it right that time. Egg was laid in the hole and covered correctly in the second laying.

The smoothness from wear, aging/weathering, and fading of any pattern or coloration. There is also a gap and restart of growing on the scutes happening after(likely)several years stopped and the growth rings visible are very narrow. I'd make a very rough guess she is at least 40 possibly 60-70 years or more old. As for egg laying all I know is that Chersina are known to only lay one egg at a time. Why she would not bury it I have no idea. You're so blessed to have these:). Young tortoises are beautiful but I have a soft spot for the older more seasoned ones.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I have never hatched this species, but from what I know other species, those temps should be fine.

What I'm wondering is if the eggs of this species need a cooling period. I suspect they do. My South African Leopards do. For some species, if there is not a diapause (Winter), the eggs will not develop. My SA leopards lay in spring and summer. If left underground in the nest over winter, the eggs will then begin to incubate and develop in summer. It can take up to 18 months. Explained another way: If eggs are laid in April of 2017, they will not begin to develop in summer of 2017, even though the temps are warm enough over summer. The eggs will stay underground through winter of 2017/2018 and then when temps warm up enough in May/June of 2018, the eggs will begin to develop and eventually hatch in September/October 2018.

@Sterant I don't think I've ever asked anyone. Do Chersina need a diapause?

Behler doesn’t use one. All of their incubators do have a nighttime drop in temps though. Their most recent baby hatched outdoors, so perhaps all of the eggs experienced some sort of diapause just from being laid outside and being found late. I’ll try to find out more.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@CarolM I would be a bit concerned about covering the egg 75% with native soil. An egg can get suffocated and needs air around it. When laying eggs, tortoises carefully construct a chamber that is open to lay their eggs in. And when they lay, the carefully turn the eggs and position it so it is not buried and moving freely in the chamber. When they cover the nest chamber, they are not simply burying the eggs. They release water as they are digging and create some mud they form a plug with to plug the top of the nest chamber, leaving the eggs with open air around them. An egg simply buried in dirt will suffocate.

Most of us use vermiculite as it allow air flow through it and around the egg. Some simply place the eggs on a moist surface. Just ensure there is good air contact around the egg.