Good news to share

Philip Rome

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
So, after a shocking start and some very worrying blood test results, we have had the results of Philips follow up blood tests.

‘Much improved’!

No need to go back to the vets until we consider hibernation.... although this may not be an option for him.

Still zero weight bearing on his back legs though..... any ideas?

IMG_7461.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Remind me - did he have x-rays of the back end? Does he poop regulary? Has he been de-wormed?

Philip Rome

Hampshire
No xray, he poops 2-3 days in a row then nothing for 7-10 days!!!!

I don’t know anything about deworming. How would I know if he needs it? How do you do it?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No xray, he poops 2-3 days in a row then nothing for 7-10 days!!!!

I don’t know anything about deworming. How would I know if he needs it? How do you do it?
Faecal test - I'm surprised your vet hasn't done one, Take a poop sample and they can see if there are any parasites in it.

Philip Rome

Hampshire
Faecal test - I'm surprised your vet hasn't done one, Take a poop sample and they can see if there are any parasites in it.

To be fair, With the way the bloods were 4 weeks ago, none of us expected him to still be around!

Would worms wipe out his back legs ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
To be fair, With the way the bloods were 4 weeks ago, none of us expected him to still be around!

Would worms wipe out his back legs ?
I don't really know, I'm sure I've read they can cause some severe problems if left untreated for a long time.
https://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/parasites.html
But you won't really know unless he is tested, next time he poops grab a sample and ask your vet to test it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A blockage (seen on x-ray), constipation and extensive load of parasites (pressing on nerves), can affect the movement of the back legs.